Mail help needed . . .

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
      Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
      going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
      mail programs. I spent past several hours yesterday installing
      Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and trying to import stuff from the
      old programs. Firefox may be a satisfactory browser but I am quite
      disappointed in the lack of functionality of Thunderbird as a mail
      client compared with Eudora, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
      (obviously, non-M$) recommendations?

      TIA,

      . . . ronn! :)

    • Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
        Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

        > Firefox may be a satisfactory browser but I am quite
        > disappointed in the lack of functionality of Thunderbird as a mail
        > client compared with Eudora, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
        > (obviously, non-M$) recommendations?

        This is so insane. If you don't like M$ programs, why you use M$
        OS? There's no point in recommending a non-M$ program to be
        run under M$'s OS. :-P

      • Andrew Crystall
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
          I use and would recommend Pegasus Mail -

          http://www.pmail.com/

          Robust mail client with several possible view-types, and an inbuilt
          baesian filter.

          On 30 Mar 2008 at 6:04, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

          > Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
          > going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
          > mail programs. I spent past several hours yesterday installing
          > Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and trying to import stuff from the
          > old programs. Firefox may be a satisfactory browser but I am quite
          > disappointed in the lack of functionality of Thunderbird as a mail
          > client compared with Eudora, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
          > (obviously, non-M$) recommendations?
          >

          > TIA,
          >

          > . . . ronn! :)

          Dawn Falcon

        • Max Battcher
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
            Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
            > Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
            > going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
            > mail programs. I spent past several hours yesterday installing
            > Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and trying to import stuff from the
            > old programs. Firefox may be a satisfactory browser but I am quite
            > disappointed in the lack of functionality of Thunderbird as a mail
            > client compared with Eudora, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
            > (obviously, non-M$) recommendations?

            I would recommend looking for Thunderbird plugins to make Thunderbird
            more what you are looking for. I know Thunderbird isn't perfect, but
            it's modular enough to allow some pretty stunning things if you just
            tweak it it a little. Every time I evaluate other mail programs I
            generally keep coming back to Thunderbird. (Currently a plugin that I
            couldn't do without is Lightning, which adds Calendar and TODO List.)

            Also, I don't know if you were aware of this, but Eudora isn't exactly
            going away, it's just merging to use Thunderbird as a backend (in a
            similar fashion to the way that recent versions of Netscape were just
            branded versions of Firefox)... Eudora's Penelope plugin to Thunderbird
            is designed to bring Eudora tricks to Thunderbird's UI. Here's where I
            found to download recent releases of Eudora-branded Thunderbird:

            http://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_Releases

            More about the Penelope project:

            http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

            Maybe that plugin will help you. I have to admit that I never used
            Eudora, so I don't have any idea of whether the Penelope project is
            sufficient or not.

            --
            --Max Battcher--
            http://www.worldmaker.net/
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008

              > I use and would recommend Pegasus Mail -
              >
              > http://www.pmail.com/
              >
              > Robust mail client with several possible view-types, and an
              > inbuilt baesian filter.

              I was also going to recommend Pegasus Mail (Pmail), and saw that someone
              else beat me to it. I used Pegasus for years until I switched to Outlook to
              learn it for work.

              One feature I LOVED with Pegasus was that I could group unread items, by
              conversation.

              Do you not like Outlook?

              Gary

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
                On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Ronn! Blankenship <
                ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:

                > Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
                > going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
                > mail programs.

                What is going on with Eudora? I used to use it, but switched to Thunderbird
                a while back... now they're merging or something? I can't quite tell from
                looking at the Mozilla site.

                Nick Arnett
                narnett@...
                Messages: 408-904-7198
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
                  On Mar 30, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

                  > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Ronn! Blankenship <
                  > ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
                  >> going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
                  >> mail programs.
                  >
                  > What is going on with Eudora? I used to use it, but switched to
                  > Thunderbird
                  > a while back... now they're merging or something? I can't quite
                  > tell from
                  > looking at the Mozilla site.

                  Some people like GnuMail, which originated as the Mail application in
                  the Next OS, and is somewhat related to Mail.app on Mac OS X. Evidently,
                  it runs on Windows, if you're settled on that OS.

                • Andrew Crystall
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
                    On 30 Mar 2008 at 16:16, Gary Nunn wrote:

                    > > I use and would recommend Pegasus Mail -
                    > >
                    > > http://www.pmail.com/
                    > >
                    > > Robust mail client with several possible view-types, and an
                    > > inbuilt baesian filter.
                    >

                    > I was also going to recommend Pegasus Mail (Pmail), and saw that someone
                    > else beat me to it. I used Pegasus for years until I switched to Outlook to
                    > learn it for work.
                    >
                    > One feature I LOVED with Pegasus was that I could group unread items, by
                    > conversation.
                    >
                    > Do you not like Outlook?

                    Bleck :P (PMail has an outlook-alike view if you do)

                    Everywhere I've worked has used outlook and I thoroughly despise it,
                    lol

                    AndrewC
                    Dawn Falcon

                  • Warren Ockrassa
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2008
                      On Mar 30, 2008, at 4:04 AM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                      > Since after 10+ years of my using them both Netscape and Eudora are
                      > going away, I am at the point where I have to change both browser and
                      > mail programs. I spent past several hours yesterday installing
                      > Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and trying to import stuff from the
                      > old programs. Firefox may be a satisfactory browser but I am quite
                      > disappointed in the lack of functionality of Thunderbird as a mail
                      > client compared with Eudora, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
                      > (obviously, non-M$) recommendations?

                      Thunderbird didn't turn me on much either. Have you looked at gmail?
                      (Before you hate it, consider that the portability of your inbox is a
                      definite bonus, even if the idea of their advertising bots' peering at
                      your mail is a bit spooky.) FWIW gmail will also work with POP clients.

                      OSX's Mail is a tolerable client but doesn't have the refinements of
                      Eudora, at least not out of the box; I don't know if there are third
                      party apps that approach it.

                      --
                      Warren Ockrassa
                      Blog | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                        On 01/04/2008, at 10:55 AM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

                        > OSX's Mail is a tolerable client but doesn't have the refinements of
                        > Eudora, at least not out of the box; I don't know if there are third
                        > party apps that approach it.

                        Mail 3 is better. Not perfect, but a lot better than Tiger's or
                        Panther's versions. Doesn't help the OP, but just sayin' like.

                        C.
                      • Warren Ockrassa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                          On Apr 1, 2008, at 4:25 AM, Charlie Bell wrote:

                          > On 01/04/2008, at 10:55 AM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                          >>

                          >> OSX's Mail is a tolerable client but doesn't have the refinements of
                          >> Eudora, at least not out of the box; I don't know if there are third
                          >> party apps that approach it.
                          >
                          > Mail 3 is better. Not perfect, but a lot better than Tiger's or
                          > Panther's versions. Doesn't help the OP, but just sayin' like.

                          That's what I'm running -- it's okay, but not great, yeah.

                          -- \/\/