Re: In case I go silent . . .

  • David Hobby
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
      > When I woke up the computer this morning, the
      > monitor made a number of popping sounds somewhat
      > similar in sharpness and volume to the sound a
      > cap pistol makes.
      > up some limbs for disposal.) When I watched the
      > screen I noticed that every time the sound
      > occurred, the image dimmed and shrank like the
      > picture on an old TV when you turned it
      > off.

      Ronn--

      Oh, yes, I've had that. I presume that something inside
      the (CRT, right?) monitor was sometimes shorting out.
      In my case, the monitor lasted a few months more, then died.

      You know, I haven't actually bought a monitor in several
      years. I've been taking the ones that other people give
      away when they upgrade to flat panels. My source for this
      is Freecycle:
      http://www.freecycle.org/search

      ---David
      Pop goes the ...
    • Warren Ockrassa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        On Feb 4, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

        > at first I thought that it was
        > coming from outside, maybe the neighbor breaking
        > up some limbs for disposal.

        Good lord, you live next to a mafia hit man?

        I've had the same kinds of symptoms, prior to switching to LCD land at
        home. (Still use CRTs at work for the higher quality images.) You'll
        need to replace your display, probably -- my experience is that
        voltage shorts aren't in the practice of healing themselves.

        --
        Warren Ockrassa
        Blog | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/