Re: CoS in the news

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 31, 2008
      From: "William T Goodall" <wtg@...>
      To: "Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:54 PM
      Subject: Re: CoS in the news

      > On 28 Jan 2008, at 03:47, Robert Seeberger wrote:

      Hare Krishnas they aint!

      But for some info The Economist spouts:
      http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10609174

      "An online onslaught against Scientology

      A VICIOUS cult run by cynical fraudsters, or a sincerely held
      religious belief persecuted by zealots? That is the long-standing row
      about Scientology, founded by the late science-fiction writer, L. Ron
      Hubbard. In some countries, such as Germany, the group is watched by
      the security services. In others, such as America and Australia, it
      has won charitable status as a religion.

      Until now the fight could mostly be seen as one-sided. Scientology's
      lawyers are vigorous litigants. The group argues that its internal
      materials (which claim, among other things, that expensive courses of
      treatment can help rid people of infestation by alien souls from an
      extinct civilisation) are commercially confidential and protected by
      copyright. They react sharply to any perceived libel.

      As a result, public critics of what they derisively term �$cientology�
      risk expensive legal battles. For example, a new unauthorised
      biography of Tom Cruise by a British author, Andrew Morton, contains
      detailed and highly critical material about the film star's
      involvement in Scientology. It is a bestseller in America but has not
      been published in Britain. The publisher, St Martin's Press, has even
      asked internet booksellers not to ship it to foreign customers. Though
      Scientology representatives vehemently deny breaking any laws, critics
      have claimed that they experience intensive harassment and
      intimidation.

      Now Scientology is under attack from a group of internet activists
      known only as Anonymous. Organised from a Wikipedia-style website
      (editable by anyone) and through anonymous internet chat rooms,
      �Project Chanology�, as the initiative is known, presents no easy
      target for Scientology's lawyers. It is promoting cyberwarfare
      techniques normally associated with extortionists, spies and
      terrorists. Called �distributed denial of service attacks�, these
      typically involve using networks of infected computers to bombard the
      target's websites and servers with bogus requests for data, causing
      them to crash. Even governments find this troublesome.

      Anonymous is also hoping to galvanise public opinion with a mass
      �real-world� protest outside every Scientology office worldwide on
      February 10th. But its best weapon may be ridicule. The group got
      going in reaction to efforts to ban an internal Scientology video of
      Mr Cruise that leaked onto the internet. The star appears to discuss
      his beliefs with a degree of incoherence and exaggeration that might
      lead some to question Scientology's effects on its adherents' sanity.
      A Scientology spokesman says it has been selectively edited. Several
      internet sites have taken it down after threats of lawsuits. But it
      keeps popping up. "

      Same tactics as the Jesuits, right?

      LULZ<G>

      xponent

      I Heir You Leik Mudkips Maru

      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 14, 2008
        At 03:21 PM Wednesday 2/13/2008, Deborah Harrell wrote:
        > > Dave Land <dmland@...> wrote:
        >
        ><snip>
        > > We Methodists only have the expression "Dry as a
        > > Methodist picnic" to stereotype us.
        >
        >I still grin at the joke (paraphrased):
        >
        >When asked to bring something that expressed their
        >faith to Show and Tell, thus spake the children-
        >Mary: I'm Catholic, and this is a rosary.
        >David: I'm Jewish, and this is a mennorah.
        >Paul: I'm Lutheran, and this is a casserole dish.

        or

        Molly: I'm Mormon, and this is a green Jell-O™ salad . . .