Re: World Building Wiki

  • Robert J. Chassell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2007
      > We humans have a hard time going at 30 km/sec (19 miles per
      > second) or 0.001% light speed. At 0.001% light speed, that
      > takes ten billion years to cross the galaxy.

      We have a hard time achieving that speed or a hard time surviving
      that speed?

      A hard time achieving that speed. We and everything else in the
      galaxy are going a lot faster relative to the microwave radiation
      background, but it is relative motion that counts.

      A speed of 30 km/sec is not impossible with current, deployed
      technologies. However, such a speed is expensive either in resources
      or in time -- either the speed requires a lot of chemical fuel which
      produces fairly high acceleration or it requires a long time with the
      low acceleration of an ion engine. (NASA has done ground experiments
      with a mini-magnetospheric plasma, which should provide reasonable
      accelerations and speeds with an appropriate energy source, such as a
      solar concentrator.)

      --
      Robert J. Chassell GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
      bob@... bob@...