Re: Religiosity correlates with poverty

  • Lance A. Brown
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 5, 2007
      Doug said the following on 11/6/2007 12:49 AM:
      > Ronn! wrote:
      >

      >> So what would most folks think of someone who professed a belief in
      >> God and spent his evenings and weekends drinking and carousing?
      >

      > Wouldn't that depend on what particular brand of God this person believed
      > in and which particular folks were making the observation?

      Sounds like a perfectly reasonable evening with Bachus if you ask me.
      :-) Someone got a beer?

      --[Lance]

      --
      Celebrate The Circle http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
      Carolina Spirit Quest http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
      Message 52 of 52 , Nov 9, 2007
        i think we all can agree that GWB's motives are not out of benevolence.
        jon

        I think I could find people who would not agree with that
        -- Ronn! :)

        i meant on brinlist. most of us would agree that bush's benevolent
        form of compassionate conservatism is aimed at the wealthy class. he
        is far more interested in funding war rather than water resources, for
        example:
        http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&p=bush+veto

        Despite what this war cost our family -- it'll be three years tomorrow
        since Wes was killed in action -- I'm willing to give Bush the benefit
        of the doubt where it comes to motives. He very well may believe he's
        doing the right thing. But I don't really know, nor do I much care.
        But I think I'd be treating myself badly if I didn't allow myself to
        have some degree of
        compassion, even for someone whose politics I despise. That's where I
        diverge from the anti-war folks who demonize the administration.
        Nick

        nick, i am very sorry you lost a family member. like almost everyone
        else i support our troops and grieve for all those who have suffered
        from this war. i have have brought many of our troops over there and
        it weighs heavily on me that many did not come back.

        i don't hate any republican and democrat who were duped into supporting
        this war. i do blame bush, cheney, rumsfeld and the neo-cons for the
        unconstitutional practices they used to justify this war, and the
        illegal tactics they contrived to manipulate many patriotic americans
        to buy into the rationale for this war.
        jon