Re: 150 MPG from a Toyota Prius

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2007
      At 07:39 PM Saturday 10/20/2007, Robert Seeberger wrote:
      >http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34422/113/
      >

      >TG Video: Aftermarket lithium-ion battery pack squeezes 150 MPG from a
      >Toyota Prius
      >
      >Ontario (CA) - A new lithium-ion battery pack for the Toyota Prius may
      >not lower gas prices, but it promises to make trips to the gas station
      >less frequent - a lot less frequent. Made by Hymotion and A123
      >Systems - the same folks that brought you the batteries in the
      >Killacycle - this aftermarket kit converts the car into a plug-in
      >hybrid and allows it to run on electric power for the first forty
      >miles of a trip. As you can expect, total gas mileage goes through
      >the roof and company executives claim drivers can easily exceed 150
      >miles-per-gallon in the city and 100 MPG on the highways.

      And the further you go, the more it approaches the baseline
      figure. I suppose if you are driving across the country to see
      grandma, you could carry an extension cord and plug it into an outlet
      when you stop for the night at a motel along the way and get the
      first 40 miles of the day off the battery (assuming that you get a
      ground-floor room and the management doesn't object).

      >We inspected one of Hymotion's specially outfitted cars at the Clean
      >Vehicle Technology Expo in Ontario California. The 175-pound battery
      >pack installs in the spare tire well of the trunk and you still have
      >the entire trunk space for cargo. You can even lay the spare tire on
      >top of the battery pack, but Nick Rothman, a kit installer for Green
      >Gears, told us that some companies go without the spare and carry a
      >can of "Fix a Flat" instead.

      Not much help when the belt separates or a long nail or screw goes
      through the side of the tire.

      >In your average Prius, the gasoline engine still does the majority of
      >the work and the batteries merely take over at low speeds. The
      >Hymotion-equipped car, however, works much differently. Owners charge
      >up their vehicles with a regular 110 or 220 volt extension cord and
      >afterwards the car will drive dozens of miles solely on electrical
      >power. From empty, the five kilovolt battery pack charges in about
      >six hours with 110 volt and 3 hours with 220 volt electricity.
      >
      >According to Rothman, the kit takes about four hours to install and a
      >few more hours of testing and configuration. Other than the extra
      >batteries and an added charging outlet, the Prius remains stock and
      >unchanged.
      >
      >The Hymotion kits are currently being tested by several companies, but
      >Ricardo Bazzarella, President of Hymotion, told us Prius owners won't
      >have to wait long to get their own kits and plans on having them
      >available in the first quarter of 2008 for approximately $9500 dollars
      >(installation included).

      Which is more than some people have to pay for an entire vehicle.