Rowling Outs Dumbledore

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2007
      http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=c2b40da2-2406-4e8f-bc89-6fc11d1b0e41&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

      http://tinyurl.com/ywcohr

      Albus Dumbledore took quite a few secrets with him to the grave. And
      it's possible that even he didn't know about this one.

      After helping Dumbledore's favorite pupil uncover a treasure trove of
      information about the Hogwarts headmaster in Harry Potter and the
      Deathly Hallows, the final installment of her billion-dollar fantasy
      series, J.K. Rowling has pulled something new out of the pensieve:

      Dumbledore was gay.

      (What you just heard was the sound of conservative religious groups
      scribbling down one more reason to loathe the Harry Potter franchise.)

      "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling explained Friday
      in front of a packed house at New York's Carnegie Hall, where she
      capped off her first U.S. book tour since 2000.

      Which explains why the brilliant wizard was briefly blinded as a young
      man by the charm and skill of Gellert Grindelwald, his companion
      turned arch-nemesis who turned out to be more interested in the Dark
      Arts than a three-bedroom craftsman in Hogsmeade.

      After Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down," Rowling explained,
      he went on to destroy Grindelwald in what is considered in the
      wizarding world to have been the ultimate wand-toting battle between
      good and evil.

      That love, she said to raucous applause, was Dumbledore's "great
      tragedy."

      "If I had know this would have made you so happy, I would have told
      you years ago," Rowling said.

      If this revelation seems almost too whimsical, consider this: Rowling,
      who penned much of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in a caf´┐Ż
      while living out of her car, can certainly be a bit cheeky, but it
      seems highly unlikely that she would try to put one over on a
      Manhattan landmark full of kids and other readers who have made her
      one of the richest people in England.

      While working on the sixth Potter film, Harry Potter and the
      Half-Blood Prince, which focuses largely on Dumbledore and Harry's
      relationship, as well as the elder wizard's interaction with a young
      Voldemort, Rowling said that she slipped director David Yates an
      eye-opening note after noticing that there was a reference in the
      script to a girl in Dumbledore's past.

      There's no word yet on if this will affect Michael Gambon's character
      in the final two Potter movies, which are slated for release in 2008
      and 2010, respectively.

      Dumbledore's sexuality has apparently been of great interest to
      bloggers and chat room denizens for years, with his history-and
      intimate affinities-becoming the subject of much debate and, ahem,
      original short stories.

      "Just imagine the fan fiction now," Rowling joked.

      Of course, one could always have shrugged off the lack of romance in
      his life, what with his hectic work schedule and his penchant for
      secrecy.

      And, as the scarred one learned in Harry Potter and the Order of the
      Phoenix, Dumbledore could be quite temperamental, especially when
      protecting those he loved.

      xponent

      Expectnot Decorum Maru

      rob
    • Medievalbk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2007
        In a message dated 10/20/2007 3:25:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        rceeberger@... writes:

        Dumbledore was gay

        Now you know the reason why he kept
        the sorting hat in his office.

        Vilyehm

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2007
          At 04:32 PM Saturday 10/20/2007, Medievalbk@... wrote:

          >In a message dated 10/20/2007 3:25:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
          >rceeberger@... writes:
          >
          >Dumbledore was gay
          >

          >Now you know the reason why he kept
          >the sorting hat in his office.
          >
          >Vilyehm

          I expect I should be glad I don't quite get that . . .

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 2007
            In a message dated 10/20/2007 3:03:15 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
            ronn_blankenship@... writes:

            >In a message dated 10/20/2007 3:25:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
            >rceeberger@... writes:
            >
            >Dumbledore was gay
            >

            >Now you know the reason why he kept
            >the sorting hat in his office.
            >
            >Vilyehm

            I expect I should be glad I don't quite get that . . .
            It was a pointy hat.

            It was made from pressed wool.

            Sometimes the point of the hat drooped.

            The hat was frequently felt up.