Re: Hybrid Cars: An unexpected complaint

    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 3, 2007
      On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Charlie Bell wrote:

      > On 03/10/2007, at 10:23 PM, Jim Sharkey wrote:
      >

      >> Apparently, they're too quiet:
      >> http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?news_id=ap-d8s1n79o0&
      >>
      >> The National Federation for the Blind is complaining that when the
      >> cars are running on solely electricity, blind people cannot hear them
      >> and it could be dangerous as they cross the street.
      >
      > ...oh no - ban bicycles too. Or possibly, blind people should cross
      > at pedestrian crossings with audible Walk signals...
      >
      > Charlie.

      Yes on the audible walk signals, and if those were common everywhere, that
      would be great. Unfortunately, in Austin, you can't find any of those
      unless you're within a mile of the State School for the Blind. :P

      (And my blind friend lives on the other side of the river from there.)

      Most of the cyclists I know are responsible and will use their bells if
      they're approaching an intersection with pedestrians waiting to cross.
      Banning bicycles is not the answer, penalizing irresponsible behavior by
      cyclists is. (Most cyclists tend to be significantly more
      safety-conscious than many drivers, I've noticed.)

      (And another complaint of mine, there's a standard for elevators -- when
      the elevator arrives, one beep should mean it's going up and 2 beeps for
      down. Some elevators don't do that, though, grrr....)

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 12, 2007
        On 13/10/2007, at 11:59 AM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

        >> I was being ironic.
        >

        > Me, too! Don't stop now!

        LOL Fair enough. Bit of a sense of humour failure last night - lost
        my pannier with wallet, housekeys, work pass, work blackberry, mobile
        phone... fortunately it was handed in to the cops and i got it back.

        Charlie.
        Vomiting Through Unpleasant Shocks Maru