Re: Car free London?

    Message 1 of 139 , Oct 2, 2007
      On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

      > Yes, hypothetically you could take along a bicycle but at least here
      > according to the policies sometimes printed on bus schedules and posted
      > at the terminal and inside buses bicycles must be loaded on to a rack on
      > the outside of the bus and the rack has only room for one bicycle and
      > the driver does not even have to stop for you if s/he sees that you have
      > a bicycle and there is already another passenger's bicycle in the rack.

      The busses in Austin can handle at least 2 bikes each. :)

      Message 139 of 139 , Oct 3, 2007
        On 03/10/2007, at 11:07 AM, Dan Minettte wrote:

        >> Yep. I'm still wondering what bits of London are 20 mins apart by car
        >> and hours apart by public transport (apart from at 3am, at which time
        >> most of London is 20 mins by car and unreachable at all by public
        >> transport...).
        >
        > I thought it would be obvious...trips that require several transfers.

        Maybe, but I'm having trouble thinking of real-world examples within
        inner or outer London, and certainly had no trouble getting from
        Hammersmith to Acton or whatever (which is radial...). Took an hour
        on the bus instead of 40 mins in the car.

        > Anyways, the example is Exmouth Rd. and Appledore Ave to Balmoral and
        > Waverly and back on a Sunday afternoon....

        I like the way you sneak the "and back" in there, as I was figuring
        on two places 20 mins apart, not two place 20 mins there and back,
        which obviously changes things drastically by adding extra waiting
        time for the turnaround, along with specifying Sunday when traffic is
        at its best and public transport on its worst day (and people would
        be making different sorts of journey to a weekday).

        Also, not giving the proper road names - "Balmoral and Waverly" means
        *nothing* to a Brit - and no suburbs makes it way harder than it
        needed to for me to look. There are over 30 streets called Balmoral
        something inside the M25 London Orbital. There are none called
        Waverly something. There are 40-ish called "Waverley" something. In
        fact, I can't find where there are two roads intersecting called
        those things, and I've looked. I found the junction of "Exmouth and
        Appledore" at http://tinyurl.com/3xoy4y but the other one eludes me.

        You're also talking "Greater London", which is out beyond "outer
        London" as referred to in the original article. Places like Harrow,
        Kingston and Ruislip aren't considered London proper (they don't have
        London postcodes).

        This is called "stacking the deck"...

        > FWIW, the frequency of the outlying busses was a bit more than I
        > would have
        > guessed.

        It's pretty good in the UK. And, as I pointed out, any limitation on
        private transport would lead to an increase in routes and frequency
        of public transport.

        If you actually point out where you were talking about (try a google
        maps pointer) and I'll check your work against the public transport
        route finder...

        Charlie.