Re: Cat free London?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Julia Thompson wrote:

      > But what about the Cat Who Went To Heaven?

      Is this another version of the joke about "The Lawyer Who Went To Heaven"
      or "The Engineer Who Went To Hell"?

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

        > Julia Thompson wrote:
        >>
        >> But what about the Cat Who Went To Heaven?
        >>
        > Is this another version of the joke about "The Lawyer Who Went To Heaven"
        > or "The Engineer Who Went To Hell"?

        No, it's a book that won the Newbery Medal.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbery_Medal

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          At 11:30 AM Tuesday 10/2/2007, Nick Arnett wrote:
          >Every time I see this subject, I think "What about dogs?"
          >
          >Of course, I'm seeing something that isn't there... Hardly the first time,
          >either.
          >
          >Nick

          How long since your last eye exam/new pair of glasses, Nick? 8-)

          (As an interim fix, perhaps you could increase the default font size
          in your e-mail program . . . :P)

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            At 12:36 PM Tuesday 10/2/2007, Mauro Diotallevi wrote:
            >On 10/2/07, Nick Arnett <narnett@...> wrote:
            > > Every time I see this subject, I think "What about dogs?"
            >
            >All dogs go to heaven.

            If they insist on chasing cars*, sometimes sooner than later . . .

            _____
            *Or in Florida, licking toads . . .

            Dog-gone Maru :(

          • Deborah Harrell
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
              > Julia Thompson <degges@...> wrote:
              > > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
              > >> Julia Thompson wrote:

              > >> But what about the Cat Who Went To Heaven?

              > > Is this another version of the joke about "The
              > Lawyer Who Went To Heaven"
              > > or "The Engineer Who Went To Hell"?
              >
              > No, it's a book that won the Newbery Medal.
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbery_Medal

              I read that book in 6th grade (I'd gone through all
              the horse and dog stories in the school library);
              cried my eyes out. Redemption is always possible.

              Then I read Andre Norton's _Breed To Come_, and the
              rest is my literary history...

              By the by, this was another favorite of mine from the
              Newbery List:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler
              This book tells the story of Claudia Kincaid, a
              precocious 12-year-old girl who feels underappreciated
              by her parents. She decides to run away from home just
              long enough to show her family what they would be
              missing without her. Unfortunately, she doesn't enjoy
              hardship or discomfort, which makes traditional
              running away problematic. To solve this problem,
              Claudia decides to stay at the Metropolitan Museum of
              Art in New York City. She persuades her younger
              brother Jamie to accompany her: he's quiet, but most
              importantly, he has a secret stash of cash he's
              accumulated by cheating at card games with his best
              friend, Bruce...

              Debbi
              And Of Course King Of The Wind! Maru
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Wind

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                At 03:08 PM Thursday 10/4/2007, Deborah Harrell wrote:

                >And Of Course King Of The Wind!

                I've heard that Beano can help with that . . .

              • Deborah Harrell
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                  > Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
                  > > 10/4/2007, Deborah Harrell wrote:

                  > >And Of Course King Of The Wind!

                  > I've heard that Beano can help with that . . .

                  <rolls eyes>
                  Do you have any idea *how much* Beano it'd take to cut
                  down on an equid's flatulence?! (Well, actually, I
                  don't think they'd survive the experience, since their
                  guts are essentially big bags of fermenting...stuff.
                  <evil grin>)

                  Debbi
                  It Lives! Maru