After Midnight

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 11:08 AM
      That era started about 11:15 last night. I came
      in to eat some soup for lunch, then I have to
      return to trying to dig a hole in the
      drought-hardened soil in the back yard, which I
      started doing as soon as it became light enough to work this morning.

      Tears Maru

      --Ronn! :) & Tom =^.^= ,
      Spot (1992—96), Andy (1989—99),
      D.J. (1994±1?—2003), and Midnight (1999—2007)

    • PAT MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 11:14 AM
        Your kitty died? I'm sorry to hear that.

        http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

        ______________________________
        The totem animals of Wall Street are the bull, the bear, the hog, and the
        ostrich.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 11:46 AM
          On 8/2/07, Ronn! Blankenship <ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:

          > That era started about 11:15 last night.

          [snip]

          > Midnight (1999—2007)

          So sorry to hear that, Ronn.

          --
          Mauro Diotallevi
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2 11:54 AM
            On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

            > That era started about 11:15 last night. I came
            > in to eat some soup for lunch, then I have to
            > return to trying to dig a hole in the
            > drought-hardened soil in the back yard, which I
            > started doing as soon as it became light enough to work this morning.
            >

            > Tears Maru

            I am sorry that you have lost a beloved cat.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2 1:37 PM
              On 2 Aug 2007, at 19:08, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

              > That era started about 11:15 last night. I came
              > in to eat some soup for lunch, then I have to
              > return to trying to dig a hole in the
              > drought-hardened soil in the back yard, which I
              > started doing as soon as it became light enough to work this morning.

              Sad news.

              Commiseration Maru

              --
              William T Goodall
              Mail : wtg@...

              "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
              - Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

            • Warren Ockrassa
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 10:32 PM
                On Aug 2, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                > Tears Maru

                Oh no. I know how that is. I know.

                --
                Warren Ockrassa
                Blog | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/

              • Doug
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 6:36 PM
                  Their lives are way too short, aren't they?

                  I'm very sorry for your loss, Ronn!

                  Doug

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 9:05 PM
                    On Aug 3, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Doug wrote:

                    > Their lives are way too short, aren't they?
                    >
                    > I'm very sorry for your loss, Ronn!

                    Today Chris Clarke passed the six-month anniversary of the death of his
                    beloved dog, Zeke.

                    He lit a candle for him. Some of us did the same, in our way.

                    <http://faultline.org/index.php/site/comments/halb_yahrzeit/>

                    Those who say "it's just a cat" or "it's just a dog" just won't
                    understand.

                    <http://indigestible.nightwares.com/2007/03/05/no-euthanasia-after-all/>
                    <http://www.nightwares.com/mira/>

                    HP Lovecraft wrote of a place called Ulthar, a land wherein it was
                    forbidden to kill a cat, because they were sweet companions and they
                    guided the souls of travelers through the dark, cold spaces inhabited
                    by the Elder Ones.

                    And Hart Crane, in "Chaplinesque", wrote of love's sweetness in the
                    nature of purring innocence.

                    > We make our meek adjustments,
                    > Contented with such random consolations
                    > As the wind deposits
                    > In slithered and too ample pockets.
                    >
                    > For we can still love the world, who find
                    > A famished kitten on the step, and know
                    > Recesses for it from the fury of the street,
                    > Or warm torn elbow coverts.
                    >
                    > We will sidestep, and to the final smirk
                    > Dally the doom of that inevitable thumb
                    > That slowly chafes its puckered index toward us,
                    > Facing the dull squint with what innocence
                    > And what surprise!
                    >
                    > And yet these fine collapses are not lies
                    > More than the pirouettes of any pliant cane;
                    > Our obsequies are, in a way, no enterprise.
                    > We can evade you, and all else but the heart:
                    > What blame to us if the heart live on.
                    >
                    > The game enforces smirks; but we have seen
                    > The moon in lonely alleys make
                    > A grail of laughter of an empty ash can,
                    > And through all sound of gaiety and quest
                    > Have heard a kitten in the wilderness.

                    Never, ever "just a cat" or "just a dog".

                    --
                    Warren Ockrassa
                    Blog | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/
                    Books | http://books.nightwares.com/
                    Web | http://www.nightwares.com/

                  • Carolyn L Burke
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4 3:38 AM
                      > From: "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...>
                      > On Aug 3, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Doug wrote:
                      >
                      > > Their lives are way too short, aren't they?
                      > Those who say "it's just a cat" or "it's just a dog" just won't
                      > understand.

                      In her last days, Moppins was a tiny ball of long-furred love, always sitting on
                      the arm of my chair, on my lap, on my face while I slept. A puff of clinging
                      love. A purring epiphyte. Living almost solely on our companionship. I've missed
                      Moppins for a year now. There's been a palpable absence near me.
                      The Costa Rican rain forests are covered in epiphytes including bromeliads,
                      orchids and mosses, flowering and rich, home to frogs and insects and other
                      plants. Last month, walking through the paths with the canopy dozens and even
                      hundreds of feet overhead, thoroughly covered in colourful commensals and their
                      hosted ecologies, brought her back to me. As if she lived on in that place she'd
                      never been, within the thousands of green leaves.
                      It surprised me to find peace this way.

                      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/DirkvdM_epiphytes.jpg/300px-DirkvdM_epiphytes.jpg

                      If only every goodbye found such grace.
                      Carolyn

                    • Deborah Harrell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 13 2:01 PM
                        > Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                        > That era started about 11:15 last night...

                        I'm so sorry to hear that, Ronn-

                        Debbi
                        Our Buddies Maru :(