Speaking of Austin...

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
      Say Julia (and other knowledgable Texans), I'm in Austin for a conference
      next week. I probably won't have much time during the day, what's to
      see/do after 5 or so? Good places to eat?

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
        On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Doug wrote:

        > Say Julia (and other knowledgable Texans), I'm in Austin for a
        > conference next week. I probably won't have much time during the day,
        > what's to see/do after 5 or so? Good places to eat?

        Let's see, you're coming in during prime bat-viewing season; call
        512-416-5700 and then punch in category 3636 when prompted to do so, and
        the message will tell you when the bats will likely be emerging from under
        the Congress Avenue Bridge. There's good viewing by the Statesman
        building, just south of the river on the east side of Congress Avenue. If
        you're staying nearby, I'd just walk there.

        As far as restaurants go, what sort of cuisine were you interested in?
        There are 2 Tex-Mex places on Barton Springs Rd. very close to each other,
        there's a Chinese restaurant right by them (that one has the virtue of
        being cheap and having vegetarian hot & sour soup) and a "healthy"
        restaurant (Austin Java) on the same short strip, as well as an Italian
        restaurant. There's an Ethiopian place that opened up recently right by
        UT, and I can get recommendations for Greek places, if you're after that.
        I can probably assemble a *long* list of Tex-Mex places if you ask. :)

        What days will you be in Austin?

      • pencimen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
          Julia wrote:

          > Let's see, you're coming in during prime bat-viewing season; call
          > 512-416-5700 and then punch in category 3636 when prompted to do
          > so, and the message will tell you when the bats will likely be
          > emerging from under the Congress Avenue Bridge. There's good
          > viewing by the Statesman building, just south of the river on the
          > east side of Congress Avenue. If you're staying nearby, I'd just
          > walk there.

          Cool. I'm staying near the capitol which seems to be relatively
          close by.

          > As far as restaurants go, what sort of cuisine were you interested
          > in?

          Good food, relatively mild, no sesame oil, picky about seafood.

          > There are 2 Tex-Mex places on Barton Springs Rd. very close to
          > each other, there's a Chinese restaurant right by them (that one
          > has the virtue of being cheap and having vegetarian hot & sour
          > soup) and a "healthy" restaurant (Austin Java) on the same short
          > strip, as well as an Italian restaurant. There's an Ethiopian
          > place that opened up recently right by UT, and I can get
          > recommendations for Greek places, if you're after that.
          > I can probably assemble a *long* list of Tex-Mex places if you
          ask. :)

          > What days will you be in Austin?

          I'm arriving Monday evening and leaving Thursday evening.

          Where's that bookstore you mentioned earlier?

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, pencimen wrote:

            > Julia wrote:
            >
            >> What days will you be in Austin?
            >
            > I'm arriving Monday evening and leaving Thursday evening.
            >
            > Where's that bookstore you mentioned earlier?

            6th & Lamar, basically. It's a bit of a hike, but if you do it when it's
            not too hot, it can be a reasonably pleasant walk. I'd go to 6th St. from
            where you are and then head west until you get to Lamar. The only thing
            I'd caution you about is that there's a little creek or something you
            cross at some point, and there may be poison ivy crowding the sidewalk
            near there. Once you get to Lamar, turn right, then right into the
            parking lot, and you'll see it in all its multi-story glory. It is
            absolutley wonderful for browsing. (Or you can just take a cab.)

            The Whole Foods flagship store is just across 6th from that corner, and
            Waterloo Records is just across Lamar from there. If you continue just a
            bit further on 6th past Lamar, there's an Amy's Ice Cream, which if you
            really like ice cream is something you ought to try while you're in town.

            Whole Foods is open until 10PM, Book People is open until 11, Waterloo
            Records I'm not sure about but I'm pretty sure is at least until 11, and
            Amy's I'm not sure of, but the Friday night of the Harry Potter book
            release, they kept it open past 1AM. (And I got slightly discounted
            "Darth Chocolate" ice cream after I picked up my books.)

            Oh, and there's a lot of ready-to-eat prepared foods at that Whole Foods,
            with seating indoors AND outdoors (and up on a roof section, even, by a
            playscape) for consuming it. I would not recommend the sushi there,
            though -- if you want sushi, let me know, and I'll get locations of any
            good places around downtown. Pretty much anything else is going to be
            good, if it's something that would appeal to you anyway. You could have a
            pretty sweet evening of it going to Whole Foods for your dinner, over to
            Waterloo to look at music, Amy's for a bit of ice cream and Book People
            for browsing for the rest of the evening.

            (There's also an REI store by the Book People; they close at 9, and don't
            have as big a selection as the other store in Austin, which is out
            Northwest some.)

          • pencimen
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
              Julia wrote:
              > The Whole Foods flagship store is just across 6th from that corner,
              and Waterloo Records is just across Lamar from there. If you
              continue just a bit further on 6th past Lamar, there's an Amy's Ice
              Cream, which if you really like ice cream is something you ought to
              try while you're in town.

              > Whole Foods is open until 10PM, Book People is open until 11,
              Waterloo Records I'm not sure about but I'm pretty sure is at least
              until 11, and Amy's I'm not sure of, but the Friday night of the
              Harry Potter book release, they kept it open past 1AM. (And I got
              slightly discounted "Darth Chocolate" ice cream after I picked up my
              books.)

              > Oh, and there's a lot of ready-to-eat prepared foods at that Whole
              Foods, with seating indoors AND outdoors (and up on a roof section,
              even, by a playscape) for consuming it. I would not recommend the
              sushi there, though -- if you want sushi, let me know, and I'll get
              locations of any good places around downtown. Pretty much anything
              else is going to be good, if it's something that would appeal to you
              anyway. You could have a pretty sweet evening of it going to Whole
              Foods for your dinner, over to Waterloo to look at music, Amy's for a
              bit of ice cream and Book People for browsing for the rest of the
              evening.

              > (There's also an REI store by the Book People; they close at 9, and
              don't have as big a selection as the other store in Austin, which is
              out
              > Northwest some.)

              Thanks for all the tips Julia. If I don't get conned into going to a
              giant NI party at the Oasis on Lake Travis. I'm going to check out
              the bookstore and record store, and maybe catch the bats on the walk
              back (looks like its about 19 blocks to 6th and Lamar, I'm at 11th
              and San Jacinto). 6th looks interesting. Would you have a
              suggestion as to a good music venue in the vicinity? I'd prefer
              blues over country.

              Or maybe I should go to the Oasis? Free dinner and music by
              Skyrocket, "Austin's best cover band"

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, pencimen wrote:

                > Thanks for all the tips Julia. If I don't get conned into going to a
                > giant NI party at the Oasis on Lake Travis. I'm going to check out
                > the bookstore and record store, and maybe catch the bats on the walk
                > back (looks like its about 19 blocks to 6th and Lamar, I'm at 11th
                > and San Jacinto). 6th looks interesting. Would you have a
                > suggestion as to a good music venue in the vicinity? I'd prefer
                > blues over country.

                Not sure. If you can extract the info you need from
                http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/MusicListings that's a
                good resource. I'll poke a bit and see what I can extract from there that
                would be useful.

                (I don't get out to see live music very often, and I mostly just go with
                friends, so what I see is variable and I don't know as much as I might.)

              • pencimen
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                  Julia wrote:

                  > Not sure. If you can extract the info you need from
                  > http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/MusicListings that's
                  > good resource. I'll poke a bit and see what I can extract from there
                  that
                  > would be useful.
                  >
                  > (I don't get out to see live music very often, and I mostly just go
                  with
                  > friends, so what I see is variable and I don't know as much as I
                  might.)

                  Thanks, that should help. How about Tex-Mex in this vicinity (I'm
                  starved)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                    On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, pencimen wrote:

                    > Julia wrote:
                    >
                    >> Not sure. If you can extract the info you need from
                    >> http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/MusicListings that's
                    >> good resource. I'll poke a bit and see what I can extract from there
                    > that
                    >> would be useful.
                    >>
                    >> (I don't get out to see live music very often, and I mostly just go
                    > with
                    >> friends, so what I see is variable and I don't know as much as I
                    > might.)
                    >
                    > Thanks, that should help. How about Tex-Mex in this vicinity (I'm
                    > starved)

                    I've heard good things about Freebirds, there's one at 515 S. Congress
                    (about 5 blocks south of the river).

                    I've eaten at Serrano's around 12th & Red River recently, it's pretty
                    good, but check for mariachi before requesting outside seating. :) (F.
                    had her 2-month-old daughter with her, and we were afraid the baby was
                    going to wake up fussy. We had a hard time conversing.) My only
                    complaint is I don't like the way they make their tortilla soup, but there
                    are plenty of other wonderful things on the menu.

                    At http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Guides/Restaurant there's a
                    restaurant searcher, as well.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                      BTW, I'm about to go out for the evening myself, albeit a ways north of
                      you. :) The Chronicle website is a good resource if you're looking for
                      the answers to any other entertainment questions.

                      Julia

                      On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, pencimen wrote:

                      > Julia wrote:
                      >
                      >> Not sure. If you can extract the info you need from
                      >> http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/MusicListings that's
                      >> good resource. I'll poke a bit and see what I can extract from there
                      > that
                      >> would be useful.
                      >>
                      >> (I don't get out to see live music very often, and I mostly just go
                      > with
                      >> friends, so what I see is variable and I don't know as much as I
                      > might.)
                      >
                      > Thanks, that should help. How about Tex-Mex in this vicinity (I'm
                      > starved)
                      >
                      > Doug

                    • pencimen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                        Thanks for all your help, Julia. I'm going to head down to 6th and
                        hike towards Lamar. I got a few ideas from the Chronicle.