Re: Taxes, Terrorism, and a fine mess we have gotten ourselves into

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2007
      On 11 Jun 2007, at 00:00, Andrew Crystall wrote:

      > On 10 Jun 2007 at 16:27, PAT MATHEWS wrote:
      >
      >> High taxes on liquor = "moonshiners' full employment act"
      >
      > I disagree, that's cultural. There's plenty of tax on alcohol here,
      > and we don't get much moonshine.

      It's not just tax, it's the other restrictions on availability. I
      have the impression that cannabis is relatively much more popular
      with American youth because since it's illegal anyway it is much
      easier for someone under 21 (the ridiculously high drinking age in
      much of the USA) to get hold of than beer. Since alcohol sellers can
      lose their license for selling to underagers and drug sellers don't
      have one anyway.

      I've never been refused in a bar since I was 16 and the first time I
      got asked to prove my age buying alcohol in a shop was when I was
      about 40.

      ROU Possibly Flattering
      --
      William T Goodall
      Mail : wtg@...

      "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating
      system, and possibly program, of all time." - Bill Gates, 1987