Conservation

  • jon louis mann
    Message 1 of 61 , May 4, 2007
      http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=663&tstamp=200705

      it seems like most countries are more concerned about
      balance of trade policies than in protecting the
      environment. governments tend to operate to favor
      whoever is in power. we need new models. in the west
      we raise interest rates as a means of slowing the
      economy and thus combating inflation; yet, the
      principle argument against an energy tax is that it
      would be a drag on the economy. we should use energy
      tax policy in the same way that we use interest rates.
      why not keep interest rates permanently low and raise
      energy taxes on industry when the economy becomes
      overheated instead? unfortunately, it is not
      realistic to expect enough people to conserve on their
      own without punitive incentives. nor is it realistic
      to expect government to resist the influence of the
      corporate lobbies. eventually we may succeed in
      slowing down the rate of increase in greenhouse gasses
      after the damage is irrevocable. then nature may
      reach a new equilibrium and life will adapt. "think
      of it as evolution in action". the costs and
      repercussions of reducing habits using energy from an
      economy based on planned obsolescence to one based on
      limits and an environmentally friendly policy would be
      far less disruptive to our planet. when the rest of
      the world starts to consume at our conspicuous level
      then the consequence will be extreme collapse, unless
      means are found to implement cleaner technology and
      less waste. i agree that we need to conserve energy
      and and reduce our use of non-renewable sources of
      energy if society is to become sustainable. countries
      like china and india can lead the way by not emulating
      the west. china with its central government has the
      power to develop new approaches for energy,
      communication, transportation, distribution,
      consumption, education, agriculture and
      industrialization in general if they are willing to
      abandon the capitalistic model. countries like cuba
      have been forced to rely on organic farming and herbal
      medicines because of the embargo. in new zealand it
      is is illegal to use pesticides. their meat animals
      are not injected with steroids, anti-biotics or
      hormone, but they do damage the ecology with their
      grazing. reducing meat consumption by half would make
      an enormous difference. the scandinavian countries
      use their resources to benefit all of society rather
      than a select few so better models do exist.

      Message 61 of 61 , May 9, 2007
        Max Battcher wrote:
        > On 5/9/07, jon louis mann <net_democracy@...> wrote:
        >> So what about all of the packages — and people —
        >> that (in the words of the commercial)
        >> "absolutely, positively, have to be there by 9 AM"?
        >> -- Ronn! :)
        >>
        >> for the present, those people have to be satisfied,
        >> but some day, in the not too distant furure, it will
        >> no longer be realistic to ship freight all over the
        >> world to meet deadlines,
        >> -- jlm
        >
        > I think there's a place for high deadline freight/passenger travel...
        > but I think that so often in our culture we are forgetting that there
        > is just as much a place as "leisurely" travel, and that if there is no
        > reason for it to be there next day, why pay for "next day air". Our
        > culture is quagmired in this "do it yesterday" hustle and bustle and
        > sometimes we forget to take our time to even enjoy our meals...

        1) I plan ahead. If I know it has to be there by Friday, I do
        something about sending it no later than Tuesday. If it's big, I try to
        get it sent off at least a week in advance. It gets there when it needs to.

        2) Leisurely travel is nice.

        3) Leisurely meals with good company are *very* nice. I'm the sort
        that will be the last one kicked out of the restaurant if I'm in a
        situation where I can get away with it, and at least one other person is
        willing to stay until a minute before I get kicked out. :)