Re Cost of conservation

  • Keith Henson
    Message 1 of 90 , May 1, 2007
      At 12:00 PM 4/30/2007 -0700, Dan M. wrote:

      snip

      >Having set this up, let's think of the cut that would be required to stop
      >global warming. Elsewhere you suggested boycotting China until they have a
      >more environmentally friendly policy. If I were Chinese, I'd counter that
      >this is an unreasonable and hypocritical action for the West, since their
      >per capita carbon emission is less than that of any Western country. It's
      >less than half of that of the UK, and less than 20% of the US.
      >
      >The numbers that I've seen is that the US and Europe, and other developed
      >countries have to drop to, essentially, the per capita carbon consumption of
      >China...and China and India, etc. have to hold their consumption at or below
      >that level.
      >
      >I'll stop here for now, I'm not sure if anyone is interesting in replying.
      >But, if there interest, I think I could argue that even Debbie's lifestyle
      >would be all but impossible in a no global warming world.

      It would be possible in a world with far fewer people. Unfortunately the
      routes to that state are really unpleasant. There isn't even a word for a
      billion people dying.

      The long term alternatives to abundant energy are fairly well understood,
      but there is little public push for them.

      Keith Henson

    • Deborah Harrell
      Message 90 of 90 , Jul 10, 2007

        <http://www.geocities.com/Krishna_kunchith/humor/fart.html>

        > <http://tafkac.org/medical/death_by_flatulence.html>

        Yep, if you wait long enough, somebody on the List
        will do your work for you...Thank You Unka Ronn!

        Debbi
        Pass On The Cowpeas, Please Maru :)