Re: Star Trek nativity scene

  • Klaus Stock
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
      > horses...not sure what it says - that Barbie has vampy
      > clothes and a ridiculously over-sexed figure, but
      > can't open its legs...

      What for? Have you ever paid Ken a closer look?

      - klaus ;-)

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
        Klaus Stock wrote:
        >> horses...not sure what it says - that Barbie has vampy
        >> clothes and a ridiculously over-sexed figure, but
        >> can't open its legs...
        >
        > What for? Have you ever paid Ken a closer look?
        >
        > - klaus ;-)

        Some of the newer Barbies are designed to sit on a horse, so they do
        bend adequately for that.

      • Deborah Harrell
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
          > Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
          > > Klaus Stock wrote:
          > >>[I wrote]

          > >> ...not sure what it says - that Barbie has vampy
          > >> clothes and a ridiculously over-sexed figure, but
          > >> can't open its legs... [to sit on a model horse]

          > > What for? Have you ever paid Ken a closer look?

          <LOL> Ken drove a car, so I didn't care about him!
          Still, it does reflect our schizoid
          puritanical/hypersexual society...

          > Some of the newer Barbies are designed to sit on a
          > horse, so they do bend adequately for that.

          Ah, but the smaller size of the ST dolls fits Breyer
          horses more correctly...so did the old 'Planet of the
          Apes' dolls.

          Debbi
          who is hoping that our library will get the second
          season of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)

        • Mauro Diotallevi
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
            On 4/2/07, Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

            > Debbi
            > who is hoping that our library will get the second
            > season of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)

            It has been out since at least 2003. If your friendly neighborhood library
            doesn't have it, have you considered requesting it through InterLibrary
            Loan? :-)

            Actually, NetFlix plans start as low as $4.99 per month and they have all 5
            seasons of B5.

            --
            Mauro Diotallevi
            "Hey, Harry, you haven't done anything useful for a while -- you be the god
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
              Deborah Harrell wrote:
              >> Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:

              >>> What for? Have you ever paid Ken a closer look?
              >
              > <LOL> Ken drove a car, so I didn't care about him!
              > Still, it does reflect our schizoid
              > puritanical/hypersexual society...

              Or designers that didn't think Barbie was useful for much besides
              different costuming for fantasizing. Or something like that.

              >> Some of the newer Barbies are designed to sit on a
              >> horse, so they do bend adequately for that.
              >
              > Ah, but the smaller size of the ST dolls fits Breyer
              > horses more correctly...so did the old 'Planet of the
              > Apes' dolls.

              Ah. At one point, I saw for sale Barbies that came with horses they
              could ride. I don't know anything about collecting horses, different
              brands, etc.

              > Debbi
              > who is hoping that our library will get the second
              > season of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)

              It's been out for ages, m'dear. We've had all 5 seasons on DVD for
              awhile now.

              Is Netflix not something you want to get involved with at this time?

            • Jim Sharkey
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                Julia Thompson wrote:
                >> who is hoping that our library will get the second season
                >>of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)
                >It's been out for ages, m'dear. We've had all 5 seasons on DVD for >awhile now.

                Us too, but who has time to watch it? I've only gotten through the
                first third or so of the first season. Jeez, between work, Little
                League and the occasional Magic tournament, I'm lucky I have time to
                write this e-mail. 0_o

                Jim

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Jim Sharkey wrote:
                  > Julia Thompson wrote:
                  >>> who is hoping that our library will get the second season
                  >>> of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)
                  >> It's been out for ages, m'dear. We've had all 5 seasons on DVD for >awhile now.
                  >
                  > Us too, but who has time to watch it? I've only gotten through the
                  > first third or so of the first season. Jeez, between work, Little
                  > League and the occasional Magic tournament, I'm lucky I have time to
                  > write this e-mail. 0_o
                  >
                  > Jim

                  1 or 2 evenings a week, we made a little "date" after the kids were in
                  bed and watched 1 or 2 eps per "date".

                  Then there was the totally insane Friday night in which we went for
                  4.... (We finished up a season that way. And never attempted that many
                  again.)

                  So, if you can get your wife interested, there you go. :) At 2 eps per
                  week, you can have it all watched in a little over a year. (Then there
                  are the movies, etc., but it can all still be done in under 15 months.
                  You just have to keep at it.)

                  Julia

                  stalled out some since, need to get around to "Dead Like Me" one of
                  these years....

                • Klaus Stock
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                    > So, if you can get your wife interested, there you go. :) At 2 eps per
                    > week, you can have it all watched in a little over a year. (Then

                    Of course, there is there is the little point that
                    <conspiracy mode="extreme">
                    your TV sets work two ways, so THEY will see what your watching. And, of
                    course, when you watch re-runs, THEY will produce new seasons so you'll have
                    to spend your money on new DVDs. And if you watch new episodes on TV, THEY
                    will cancel it so you'll sink into despair and won't think about who is
                    really ruling the world, and what one might do about it, and...
                    </conspiracy>

                    ...wait, theere's someone at the door, I'll just have look what they wan
                  • Deborah Harrell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
                      > Mauro Diotallevi <diotallevi@...> wrote:
                      > > Deborah Harrell wrote:

                      > > Debbi
                      > > who is hoping that our library will get the second
                      > > season of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)

                      > It has been out since at least 2003. If your
                      > friendly neighborhood library
                      > doesn't have it, have you considered requesting it
                      > through InterLibrary Loan? :-)

                      I *hadn't* thought about DVD loanage, although I use
                      that for books from time to time...

                      > Actually, NetFlix plans start as low as $4.99 per
                      > month and they have all 5 seasons of B5.

                      Oh, no, if you knew how movie-crazed I'd get upon
                      ordering such a service - I'd do little useful work at
                      home!

                      Speaking of books on loan, I finished _Blindness_ for
                      one of my bookclubs...oh, gross. I don't care if the
                      author *is* a prize-winner, that book was _awful_.
                      Bad medicine, bad grammar, unbelievable characters...

                      :P !!!

                      Debbi
                      who is glad to get out after being sick last week, and
                      snowed in over the weekend

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
                        Deborah Harrell wrote:
                        >> Mauro Diotallevi <diotallevi@...> wrote:
                        >>> Deborah Harrell wrote:
                        >
                        >>> Debbi
                        >>> who is hoping that our library will get the second
                        >>> season of 'Babylon 5' on DVD soon (if it's out!)
                        >
                        >> It has been out since at least 2003. If your
                        >> friendly neighborhood library
                        >> doesn't have it, have you considered requesting it
                        >> through InterLibrary Loan? :-)
                        >
                        > I *hadn't* thought about DVD loanage, although I use
                        > that for books from time to time...
                        >
                        >> Actually, NetFlix plans start as low as $4.99 per
                        >> month and they have all 5 seasons of B5.
                        >
                        > Oh, no, if you knew how movie-crazed I'd get upon
                        > ordering such a service - I'd do little useful work at
                        > home!

                        Get the lowest-priced plan; there's a limit as to how many discs you can
                        have out at once, and the turnaround time for mailing back & forth will
                        keep you from letting it be *too* much of a timesink.

                        I think.

                      • Klaus Stock
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 12, 2007
                          > >> Some of the newer Barbies are designed to sit on a
                          > >> horse, so they do bend adequately for that.
                          >
                          > Ah. At one point, I saw for sale Barbies that came with horses they
                          > could ride. I don't know anything about collecting horses, different
                          > brands, etc.

                          Yes, I remember a TV ad for "Barbie horses" some years ago. I considered it
                          ridiculous. The horses were obviously ment for eXtreme grooming _only_. The
                          mane was so long that the horse would tread on it if it should ever get the
                          funny idea of moving forward. But great for grooming, right, if you ever get
                          bored of grooming Barbie herself.

                          I think.

                          Just some diversion from the usual "Star Trek nativity scene" topic talk,
                          which includes DVD rentals, book critics, conspiracies...

                          Best regards, Klaus
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 12, 2007
                            Klaus Stock wrote:
                            >> Ah. At one point, I saw for sale Barbies that came with horses they
                            >> could ride. I don't know anything about collecting horses, different
                            >> brands, etc.
                            >
                            > Yes, I remember a TV ad for "Barbie horses" some years ago. I considered it
                            > ridiculous. The horses were obviously ment for eXtreme grooming _only_. The
                            > mane was so long that the horse would tread on it if it should ever get the
                            > funny idea of moving forward. But great for grooming, right, if you ever get
                            > bored of grooming Barbie herself.
                            >
                            > I think.

                            That's what we have "My Little Pony" for these days. It's quite
                            adequate for that, and not as evil as anything Barbie.

                            > Just some diversion from the usual "Star Trek nativity scene" topic talk,
                            > which includes DVD rentals, book critics, conspiracies...
                            >
                            > Best regards, Klaus

                            One DVD that we *own* is Kiki's Delivery Service.

                            My daughter wants to be Kiki.

                            Home Depot has "lobby brooms", some of which are corn brooms small
                            enough to give a 3-year-old.

                            Just sayin'.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 12, 2007
                              At 05:08 PM Thursday 4/12/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:
                              > >> Ah. At one point, I saw for sale Barbies that came with horses they
                              > >> could ride. I don't know anything about collecting horses, different
                              > >> brands, etc.
                              > >
                              > > Yes, I remember a TV ad for "Barbie horses" some years ago. I considered it
                              > > ridiculous. The horses were obviously ment for eXtreme grooming _only_. The
                              > > mane was so long that the horse would tread on it if it should ever get the
                              > > funny idea of moving forward. But great for grooming, right, if
                              > you ever get
                              > > bored of grooming Barbie herself.
                              > >
                              > > I think.
                              >
                              >That's what we have "My Little Pony" for these days. It's quite
                              >adequate for that, and not as evil as anything Barbie.
                              >
                              > > Just some diversion from the usual "Star Trek nativity scene" topic talk,
                              > > which includes DVD rentals, book critics, conspiracies...
                              > >
                              > > Best regards, Klaus
                              >
                              >One DVD that we *own* is Kiki's Delivery Service.
                              >
                              >My daughter wants to be Kiki.
                              >
                              >Home Depot has "lobby brooms", some of which are corn brooms small
                              >enough to give a 3-year-old.

                              And unlike Harry Potter brooms do not require batteries . . .

                              Unintended Good Vibrations Maru