Re: Coalition Seeks Elimination of Incandescent Light Bulb

  • Andrew Crystall
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
      On 20 Mar 2007 at 7:38, Nick Arnett wrote:

      > On 3/20/07, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Charlene and I swapped out a majority of our incandescents for those
      > > double helix-looking flourescents several months ago, and I really
      > > can't tell the difference in the lighting. I'll have to ask her if
      > > our electrical bill's gone down in a noticeable way, though.
      >

      > I have found that some of them didn't last nearly as long as advertised. I
      > had 'seven year' bulbs fail in less than a year. I know that the older ones
      > will die faster if they're turned on and off often, but I'm not sure about
      > those with electronic ballasts.

      Less so. My main problem with them is I have for many years used
      "natural" light bulbs, and getting those in energy saving formats is
      expensive.

      I find it really does make a difference (and work uses them as well,
      which is even better).

      AndrewC
      Dawn Falcon

    • Robert Seeberger
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
          > On 20 Mar 2007 at 7:38, Nick Arnett wrote:
          >
          >> On 3/20/07, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
          >> >

          >> > Charlene and I swapped out a majority of our incandescents for
          >> > those
          >> > double helix-looking flourescents several months ago, and I
          >> > really
          >> > can't tell the difference in the lighting. I'll have to ask her
          >> > if
          >> > our electrical bill's gone down in a noticeable way, though.
          >>

          >> I have found that some of them didn't last nearly as long as
          >> advertised. I
          >> had 'seven year' bulbs fail in less than a year. I know that the
          >> older ones
          >> will die faster if they're turned on and off often, but I'm not
          >> sure about
          >> those with electronic ballasts.
          >
          > Less so. My main problem with them is I have for many years used
          > "natural" light bulbs, and getting those in energy saving formats is
          > expensive.
          >
          > I find it really does make a difference (and work uses them as well,
          > which is even better).

          The early versions of the electronic ballast were plagued with
          problems, but the current product is pretty reliable. Most electronic
          ballasts now can use either 277V or 120V so you don't have to worry
          about picking up the wrong ballast these days.
          All T8 lamps are energy savers, so you don't see that noted on the
          packaging anymore.
          Avoid the old T12 flourescent lamps (Those are the old fat ones, the
          newer skinny ones are the T8s), they are just too dim for the amount
          of energy used and are likely to be phased out in time. (But note that
          each type uses a different ballast, so if you want to change to T8s
          you need a new ballast too.)

          xponent
          The Tubes World Tour Maru