Re: Coalition Seeks Elimination of Incandescent Light Bulb

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
      On 21/03/2007, at 1:38 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

      > I have found that some of them didn't last nearly as long as
      > advertised. I
      > had 'seven year' bulbs fail in less than a year. I know that the
      > older ones
      > will die faster if they're turned on and off often, but I'm not
      > sure about
      > those with electronic ballasts.

      Some brands are to avoid. You'll soon find out which... it's usually
      the "budget ones" - it's better to pay a buck or two more for the
      Phillips or similar rather than the cheap knockoffs.

      Now that it's possible to get a nice warm yellow light, it's a far
      more attractive proposition that it used to be.

      Charlie
    • Andrew Crystall
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
        On 20 Mar 2007 at 7:38, Nick Arnett wrote:

        > On 3/20/07, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Charlene and I swapped out a majority of our incandescents for those
        > > double helix-looking flourescents several months ago, and I really
        > > can't tell the difference in the lighting. I'll have to ask her if
        > > our electrical bill's gone down in a noticeable way, though.
        >

        > I have found that some of them didn't last nearly as long as advertised. I
        > had 'seven year' bulbs fail in less than a year. I know that the older ones
        > will die faster if they're turned on and off often, but I'm not sure about
        > those with electronic ballasts.

        Less so. My main problem with them is I have for many years used
        "natural" light bulbs, and getting those in energy saving formats is
        expensive.

        I find it really does make a difference (and work uses them as well,
        which is even better).

        AndrewC
        Dawn Falcon

      • Robert Seeberger
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
            > On 20 Mar 2007 at 7:38, Nick Arnett wrote:
            >
            >> On 3/20/07, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
            >> >

            >> > Charlene and I swapped out a majority of our incandescents for
            >> > those
            >> > double helix-looking flourescents several months ago, and I
            >> > really
            >> > can't tell the difference in the lighting. I'll have to ask her
            >> > if
            >> > our electrical bill's gone down in a noticeable way, though.
            >>

            >> I have found that some of them didn't last nearly as long as
            >> advertised. I
            >> had 'seven year' bulbs fail in less than a year. I know that the
            >> older ones
            >> will die faster if they're turned on and off often, but I'm not
            >> sure about
            >> those with electronic ballasts.
            >
            > Less so. My main problem with them is I have for many years used
            > "natural" light bulbs, and getting those in energy saving formats is
            > expensive.
            >
            > I find it really does make a difference (and work uses them as well,
            > which is even better).

            The early versions of the electronic ballast were plagued with
            problems, but the current product is pretty reliable. Most electronic
            ballasts now can use either 277V or 120V so you don't have to worry
            about picking up the wrong ballast these days.
            All T8 lamps are energy savers, so you don't see that noted on the
            packaging anymore.
            Avoid the old T12 flourescent lamps (Those are the old fat ones, the
            newer skinny ones are the T8s), they are just too dim for the amount
            of energy used and are likely to be phased out in time. (But note that
            each type uses a different ballast, so if you want to change to T8s
            you need a new ballast too.)

            xponent
            The Tubes World Tour Maru