Re: Digital Rights Management is evil

  • Steve Sloan
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
      On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

      > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
      > will allow you to get past that. :-)

      It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
      lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.
    • Nick Lidster
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
        On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

        > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
        > will allow you to get past that. :-)

        It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
        lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.

        for some reason im not getting the original post to see exactly what is
        required to happen. However there is always a work around.....depending on
        how much work that you wish to do.

        i.e. you can resize the pdf so you see it by full page and screen capture
        the desktop paste the file into a image editor, remove the info that you do
        not require and resize it to something relative to original and just print
        to your hearts content. However if you wish to work with the information
        stored in the pdf, simply do the above and run the printed pages through an
        OCR and grab the txt that you want/need. Repeat as necessary.

        Lots of work, pain in the rump, but it will work.

        If that's not what it is that your tring to do, I shall pour through the
        archives and try to find the start of this thread.

        Nick Lidster

      • Klaus Stock
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
          > > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
          > > will allow you to get past that. :-)
          >

          > I doubt it. Even non-DRM'd pdf's that don't "phone home" can disable
          > printing altogether, so I doubt they'd leave any sort of save-to-file
          > loophole open in their nasty DRM system. I even tried printing one of the
          > unprintable pdfs in a unix-based 3rd party pdf reader, and wasn't able to
          do
          > it.

          I have about 30 "PDFs" which suffer from "DRM" restrictions . Technically,
          these files are *not* PDFs. Instead, they are some proprietary, encoded
          format, which can only be read in the Adobe Reader. I guess there's genuine
          PDF behind the layer of encryption, but from a user's standpoint, it is
          simply a proprientary PITA.

          Yup, AutoIt to flip the pages and trigger some screen capture software, plus
          a home-brew software to re-assemble the 1600x1200 screenshots (each covering
          half a page) into full pages again does the job of turning it into graphics.
          However, even "high-end" OCR software as Abbyy FineReader sucks like hell on
          such screenshots. Yes, the picture is perfectly clear, the letters uniform
          and the resultion is more than enough...but still, about every OCR software
          I tried will do it's very best to misinterpret names (especially foreign
          ones, with accents and whatever) and either consider page numbers as "dirt"
          or as part of the text on the page. Yuk, and that's not counting th eUtimate
          Morse Code Challenge in one document!

          Best regards, Klaus

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
            On 2/4/07, Gary Nunn <garynunn@...> wrote:

            > I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
            > Microsoft conspiracy.
            >
            > I paid for, and downloaded, an AD/HD related PDF document written by a
            > psychologist.

            I've been meaning so ask if it's something useful for those of us who are
            AD/HD and if so, could I have a copy?

            Just being difficult (or possibly not fully paying attention).

            Nick Arnett
            narnett@...
            Messages: 408-904-7198