Re: Digital Rights Management is evil

  • Bryon Daly
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
      On 2/4/07, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

      > On 05/02/2007, at 2:24 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:
      >

      > > Additionally, there's a limited number of times I can copy or move
      > > the file
      > > on my computer, then it self destructs and will no longer open.
      > > I'm also
      > > limited on the number of times I can print it.
      >
      > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
      > will allow you to get past that. :-)

      I doubt it. Even non-DRM'd pdf's that don't "phone home" can disable
      printing altogether, so I doubt they'd leave any sort of save-to-file
      loophole open in their nasty DRM system. I even tried printing one of the
      unprintable pdfs in a unix-based 3rd party pdf reader, and wasn't able to do
      it.
    • Steve Sloan
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
        On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

        > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
        > will allow you to get past that. :-)

        It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
        lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.
      • Nick Lidster
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
          On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

          > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
          > will allow you to get past that. :-)

          It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
          lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.

          for some reason im not getting the original post to see exactly what is
          required to happen. However there is always a work around.....depending on
          how much work that you wish to do.

          i.e. you can resize the pdf so you see it by full page and screen capture
          the desktop paste the file into a image editor, remove the info that you do
          not require and resize it to something relative to original and just print
          to your hearts content. However if you wish to work with the information
          stored in the pdf, simply do the above and run the printed pages through an
          OCR and grab the txt that you want/need. Repeat as necessary.

          Lots of work, pain in the rump, but it will work.

          If that's not what it is that your tring to do, I shall pour through the
          archives and try to find the start of this thread.

          Nick Lidster

        • Klaus Stock
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
            > > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
            > > will allow you to get past that. :-)
            >

            > I doubt it. Even non-DRM'd pdf's that don't "phone home" can disable
            > printing altogether, so I doubt they'd leave any sort of save-to-file
            > loophole open in their nasty DRM system. I even tried printing one of the
            > unprintable pdfs in a unix-based 3rd party pdf reader, and wasn't able to
            do
            > it.

            I have about 30 "PDFs" which suffer from "DRM" restrictions . Technically,
            these files are *not* PDFs. Instead, they are some proprietary, encoded
            format, which can only be read in the Adobe Reader. I guess there's genuine
            PDF behind the layer of encryption, but from a user's standpoint, it is
            simply a proprientary PITA.

            Yup, AutoIt to flip the pages and trigger some screen capture software, plus
            a home-brew software to re-assemble the 1600x1200 screenshots (each covering
            half a page) into full pages again does the job of turning it into graphics.
            However, even "high-end" OCR software as Abbyy FineReader sucks like hell on
            such screenshots. Yes, the picture is perfectly clear, the letters uniform
            and the resultion is more than enough...but still, about every OCR software
            I tried will do it's very best to misinterpret names (especially foreign
            ones, with accents and whatever) and either consider page numbers as "dirt"
            or as part of the text on the page. Yuk, and that's not counting th eUtimate
            Morse Code Challenge in one document!

            Best regards, Klaus

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
              On 2/4/07, Gary Nunn <garynunn@...> wrote:

              > I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
              > Microsoft conspiracy.
              >
              > I paid for, and downloaded, an AD/HD related PDF document written by a
              > psychologist.

              I've been meaning so ask if it's something useful for those of us who are
              AD/HD and if so, could I have a copy?

              Just being difficult (or possibly not fully paying attention).

              Nick Arnett
              narnett@...
              Messages: 408-904-7198