Digital Rights Management is evil

  • Gary Nunn
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
      I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
      Microsoft conspiracy.

      I paid for, and downloaded, an AD/HD related PDF document written by a
      psychologist.

      I didn't mind paying the small fee since I found it useful and informative.

      What I DID mind was, discovering after I paid and downloaded, that it is
      protected by Adobe DRM. To open the PDF, I had to be connected to the
      internet so the document could authenticate to a Adobe server the first
      time. Now, I can only open it on the one single computer. If I want to open
      it on another computer, that computer MUST have a connection to the
      internet, and the license transferred to that computer, via Adobe's DRM
      certificate server.

      Additionally, there's a limited number of times I can copy or move the file
      on my computer, then it self destructs and will no longer open. I'm also
      limited on the number of times I can print it.

      I understand that an author wants to protect the copyrighted work that he
      created, but limiting the number of times you can move or print it, on your
      own computer, is a little too much control, not to mention the fact it's
      reporting that data to Adobe.

      And, if you look at this specific document from a content point of view,
      it's so specialized, there's virtually no risk of it being copied and shared
      like a software program.

      Gary -------> getting off my soapbox now.

      "This and no other is the root
      from which a tyrant springs; when
      he first appears he is a protector."

      ~Plato

    • Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
        Gary Nunn wrote:

        > I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
        > Microsoft conspiracy.

        No, it's not. It's an Adobe conspiracy. Adope is so much more Evil
        than Micro$oft, that it makes M$ look like a Charity Company.

        But I guess under Vista those things will acquire a new level of
        Evil.

      • Gary Nunn
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
          > > I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
          > > Microsoft conspiracy.
          > >
          > No, it's not. It's an Adobe conspiracy. Adope is so much more
          > Evil than Micro$oft, that it makes M$ look like a Charity Company.
          >
          > But I guess under Vista those things will acquire a new level of Evil.
          >
          > Alberto Monteiro

          How so? I keep hearing rumors and theories, but haven't heard any specifics
          yet.

          Gary

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
            On 05/02/2007, at 2:24 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:

            > Additionally, there's a limited number of times I can copy or move
            > the file
            > on my computer, then it self destructs and will no longer open.
            > I'm also
            > limited on the number of times I can print it.

            Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
            will allow you to get past that. :-)

            Charlie

          • Bryon Daly
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
              On 2/4/07, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

              > On 05/02/2007, at 2:24 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:
              >

              > > Additionally, there's a limited number of times I can copy or move
              > > the file
              > > on my computer, then it self destructs and will no longer open.
              > > I'm also
              > > limited on the number of times I can print it.
              >
              > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
              > will allow you to get past that. :-)

              I doubt it. Even non-DRM'd pdf's that don't "phone home" can disable
              printing altogether, so I doubt they'd leave any sort of save-to-file
              loophole open in their nasty DRM system. I even tried printing one of the
              unprintable pdfs in a unix-based 3rd party pdf reader, and wasn't able to do
              it.
            • Steve Sloan
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

                > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
                > will allow you to get past that. :-)

                It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
                lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.
              • Nick Lidster
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                  On Feb 4, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

                  > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
                  > will allow you to get past that. :-)

                  It sure wouldn't surprise me. I know the Mac PDF viewer is a
                  lot faster than the slow, bloated Adobe crap-pile on PC.

                  for some reason im not getting the original post to see exactly what is
                  required to happen. However there is always a work around.....depending on
                  how much work that you wish to do.

                  i.e. you can resize the pdf so you see it by full page and screen capture
                  the desktop paste the file into a image editor, remove the info that you do
                  not require and resize it to something relative to original and just print
                  to your hearts content. However if you wish to work with the information
                  stored in the pdf, simply do the above and run the printed pages through an
                  OCR and grab the txt that you want/need. Repeat as necessary.

                  Lots of work, pain in the rump, but it will work.

                  If that's not what it is that your tring to do, I shall pour through the
                  archives and try to find the start of this thread.

                  Nick Lidster

                • Klaus Stock
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
                    > > Hmmm, I wonder if the Mac's "save to pdf" option in the print options
                    > > will allow you to get past that. :-)
                    >

                    > I doubt it. Even non-DRM'd pdf's that don't "phone home" can disable
                    > printing altogether, so I doubt they'd leave any sort of save-to-file
                    > loophole open in their nasty DRM system. I even tried printing one of the
                    > unprintable pdfs in a unix-based 3rd party pdf reader, and wasn't able to
                    do
                    > it.

                    I have about 30 "PDFs" which suffer from "DRM" restrictions . Technically,
                    these files are *not* PDFs. Instead, they are some proprietary, encoded
                    format, which can only be read in the Adobe Reader. I guess there's genuine
                    PDF behind the layer of encryption, but from a user's standpoint, it is
                    simply a proprientary PITA.

                    Yup, AutoIt to flip the pages and trigger some screen capture software, plus
                    a home-brew software to re-assemble the 1600x1200 screenshots (each covering
                    half a page) into full pages again does the job of turning it into graphics.
                    However, even "high-end" OCR software as Abbyy FineReader sucks like hell on
                    such screenshots. Yes, the picture is perfectly clear, the letters uniform
                    and the resultion is more than enough...but still, about every OCR software
                    I tried will do it's very best to misinterpret names (especially foreign
                    ones, with accents and whatever) and either consider page numbers as "dirt"
                    or as part of the text on the page. Yuk, and that's not counting th eUtimate
                    Morse Code Challenge in one document!

                    Best regards, Klaus

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
                      On 2/4/07, Gary Nunn <garynunn@...> wrote:

                      > I'm finding out that Digital Rights Management - DRM - isn't just a
                      > Microsoft conspiracy.
                      >
                      > I paid for, and downloaded, an AD/HD related PDF document written by a
                      > psychologist.

                      I've been meaning so ask if it's something useful for those of us who are
                      AD/HD and if so, could I have a copy?

                      Just being difficult (or possibly not fully paying attention).

                      Nick Arnett
                      narnett@...
                      Messages: 408-904-7198