Re: Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model

  • dsummersminet@houston.rr.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Charlie Bell charlie@...
      Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:29:10 +1100
      To: brin-l@...
      Subject: Re: Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model

      On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

> [...]

      Well, I think I understand what they are saying...or at least what makes
      sense out of the report. My references are a bit old....from 25 year old
      cosmoloy, so Rich might correct me a bit, but since he hasn't answered
      here, I'll give it a try.

      The critical thing to point at is the evidence for dark energy. The
      acceleration of the expansion of the universe requires some force/energy
      behind it. It's unseen, and thus called dark energy. This allows some
      freedom in the definition of space after the universe expands for billions
      and billions of additional years. What I don't understand is how dark
      energy can cause symmetry to return to space....alowing for small patches
      of it to freeze and produce new universes.

      The advantage of these schemes is that there is real evidence for dark
      energy...so that parameter isn't just a free one. But, the theories like
      the one proposed are still minimally constrained...so we should expect a
      lot of different explainations to fit data.

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
          On 04/02/2007, at 6:48 AM, Robert Seeberger wrote:

          > I think the key "new" idea is given in this paragraph:
          >
          > "At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts
          > individually instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big
          > Bang. The patches become an infinite number of independent universes
          > that contract and then bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner
          > similar to the Big Bang. One patch becomes our universe."

          Ah, yes. My brain didn't parse that properly the first time.

          Still, it doesn't seem to change anything we know about the expansion
          phase of this universe, just postulate a different end. I'm in no
          position to judge the maths though.

          Charlie.
        • Robert Seeberger
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
            > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

            [Guessing]
            Delayed Choice?

            xponent
            Anthropic Digressions Maru

          • Robert Seeberger
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2007
                Dan wrote:

                > Actually, atoms, protons, neutrons, pions, etc. are not orbital in nature.

                Are there similarities in structure?

                > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                > that.

                As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there is no direct evidence.

                > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to _know_ the answer as well.

                > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

                Eh?

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 7, 2007

                  Some, but the differences are more staggering. In all cases, we are dealing
                  with angular momentum and an attractive force. This leads to certain
                  patterns in systems with any complexity at all. Almost all of the time, the
                  angular momentum is such that a singularity will not form. The well known
                  exception is, of course, a black hole....where a singularity still forms.
                  Now, other factors are involved, and there can be more than one force
                  involved, but that does not undermine the utility of looking at the
                  similarity in atoms and galaxies in terms of attractive force and angular
                  momentum.

                  It should be noted that there are extremely important differences that are
                  not seen in the classical models we use to describe the atom. For example,
                  the highest values for the function that determines the probability of
                  measuring an electron's position is within the nucleus. If that happened on
                  a classical level, the most likely position to find the earth would be
                  within the sun.

                  > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                  > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                  > > that.
                  >
                  > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                  > is no direct evidence.

                  Huh? The Big Bang theory is over 50 years old. It, and the steady state
                  universe theory were evenly competing theories until 1964, when the cosmic
                  background radiation was discovered....supporting the Big Bang.

                  Numerous observations were made since then, allowing for/requiring
                  refinement of the Big Bang theory. One thing worth noting on this is the
                  tie in with particle physics. The energy densities of the early universe and
                  the energy densities available at particle accelerators were similar,
                  allowing for cross correlations of the physics of the universe and the
                  physics seen in the lab. There were a large number of strong cross
                  correlations observed.

                  There are, of course, still problems modeling some of the structure. One
                  problem is the grainy nature of the universe. The universe is structured in
                  such a way that it was difficult to reconcile the size of the structures
                  with both the speed of light and the energy densities at which these
                  structures could form. In other words, in a classical big bang theory, when
                  the universe was small enough for these structures to form in a manner
                  consistent with the speed of light, it was too hot for these structures to
                  form.

                  Thus, the expansion phase was introduced. It postulates somewhat different
                  physics during the first few milliseconds than is seen now. It is not
                  unreasonable to consider this as somewhat of an ad hoc theory, somewhat like
                  the Bohr atom.

                  Now, on to dark energy.... Recent observations have indicated that the
                  expansion of the universe is accelerating. Some unknown force is causing
                  the galaxies to fly apart at an increasing rate. Force is correlated with
                  energy, of course, and the rate of expansion can be used to calculate how
                  much energy is required....thus the estimate of the amounts that are given.
                  Another way of expressing this is the cosmological constant.

                  Both dark energy and the cosmological constant are ways of modeling what we
                  see. They are different ways of saying the same thing. Neither are
                  required for the Big Bang theory, per se, but both are means of modeling the
                  fact that the universe is observed to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

                  Now, it is possible to come up with other theories that have other
                  explanations for the acceleration. But, in order for these theories to
                  supplant the Big Bang, they will also have to model all that the Big Bang
                  has successfully modeled. And, that's a large amount of data. The interest
                  is focused on the difficulties of the Big Bang....and how it needs to be
                  modified to fit new observations.

                  That's where the interest should be, and where the fun is. If you were to
                  tell me that you think that the present theories will be replaced with a
                  better theory in a few years, a few decades, etc., I wouldn't argue. What I
                  would argue is that the present theories will be seen as a subset of that
                  theory....just as classical electromagnetism is a subset of QED.

                  > > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                  > > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                  > It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to
                  > _know_ the answer as well.

                  Virtually every (if not actually every) physicist/astrophysicist I've talked
                  with about this are happy coming up with the best models of observations
                  they can...period. Usually, it's the non-professionals that insist that
                  science is a means of knowing "the truth." Carl Sagan is a noticeable
                  exception to this....and I find much of what he says to be problematic. As
                  an aside, I'd argue that this is correlated to his letting his politics
                  trump his professionalism later in his career.

                  > > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)
                  >
                  > Eh?

                  A paraphrase of his statement is:

                  "It's true that the universe is vast, and we are a small part of it. But,
                  it's also true that the universe would not exist without a primitive act of
                  registration."

                  This metaphysics is more consistent with observations than realism. This
                  doesn't make it right, and it certainly isn't proven by physics....but it is
                  very consistent with observations.

                • Klaus Stock
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 8, 2007
                    > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                    > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                    > > that.
                    >
                    > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                    is no
                    > direct evidence.

                    Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                    As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                    we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                    with a fishy theory about "gravity". D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                    explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                    real truth. And there will never be.

                    Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                    discuss! ;-)

                    - Klaus

                    If the universe was created by the Big Bang, was the intrenet created by the
                    Big Flame?
                  • Doug
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 9, 2007
                      Klaus wrote:

                      > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                      Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work without it. That type 1A su

                      > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                      > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                      > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                      We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things fall to the ground.

                      D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                      > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                      > real truth. And there will never be.

                      Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                      > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                      > discuss! ;-)

                      Now _that_ we can agree on.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                        > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                        >Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work
                        without it.

                        You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                        accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is fundamentally
                        based on that. That's pretty well what it says.

                        > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity.
                        All
                        > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came
                        up
                        > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                        >We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things
                        fall to the >ground.

                        But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                        instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism. Further, the
                        fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the electron in
                        QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon for
                        about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that showed
                        the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                        Newtonian gravitation.

                        The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a means of
                        expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your difficulty is.
                        Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                        accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that went
                        into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing this
                        acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                        Dan M.

                        D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                        > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                        > real truth. And there will never be.

                        Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                        > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                        > discuss! ;-)

                        Now _that_ we can agree on.

                      • Robert Seeberger
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                          >> Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.
                          >
                          >>Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't
                          >>work
                          > without it.
                          >
                          > You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                          > accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is
                          > fundamentally
                          > based on that. That's pretty well what it says.
                          >

                          >> As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for
                          >> gravity.
                          > All
                          >> we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some
                          >> people came
                          > up
                          >> with a fishy theory about "gravity".
                          >

                          >>We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that
                          >>things
                          > fall to the >ground.
                          >
                          > But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                          > instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism.
                          > Further, the
                          > fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the
                          > electron in
                          > QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon
                          > for
                          > about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that
                          > showed
                          > the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                          > Newtonian gravitation.
                          >
                          > The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a
                          > means of
                          > expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your
                          > difficulty is.
                          > Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                          > accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that
                          > went
                          > into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing
                          > this
                          > acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                          Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                          mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                          effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                          are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                          of it.
                          We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                          IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                          current theory as unrealistic.

                          xponent
                          Evidential Maru

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007

                            > Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                            > mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                            > effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                            > are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                            > of it.

                            Well, the fact that we can use it is always a good confirmation. Very
                            precise measurements of this effect, more precise than needed to use the
                            effect, will allow us to test the predictions of GR. So that's a good
                            thing.

                            > We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                            > IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                            > current theory as unrealistic.

                            The last thing that I read was that the anomalies were consistent with at
                            least one possible mundane cause. This is, almost universally, considered a
                            lack of evidence supporting an unknown force in science. Even, as with the
                            orbit of the moon, there appears to be no mundane explanation for observed
                            phenomena, the explanation almost always ends up being mundane. So, the
                            Pioneer Anamoly, while probably worth continued investigation, does not
                            offer any evidence for new physics.

                            Dark matter is only quazi-new physics....its existence can be explained
                            within the standard model. For the lurkers, I might mention that dark
                            matter is needed to explain gravitational attraction in galaxies...which is
                            higher than one would expect from the gravitational attraction of the
                            observed matter.

                            Dark energy, on the other hand, is not explicable in terms of the standard
                            model. It postulates a new force...an anti-gravity force. This force is
                            sufficient to overcome gravity and accelerate the expansion of the universe.

                            As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                            April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                            pre-announced in the press.

                          • Doug
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                              Dan wrote:

                              > As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                              > April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                              > pre-announced in the press.

                              I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..." One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A supernovas.

                              Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this kind of discussion.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                On 13/02/2007, at 3:07 PM, Doug wrote:

                                > Dan wrote:
                                >

                                >> As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS
                                >> meeting in
                                >> April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or
                                >> they'd be
                                >> pre-announced in the press.
                                >
                                > I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that
                                > project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion
                                > with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..."

                                Yep. There were a few of them at that time. Pretty much the Golden
                                Age of modern physics (and biology, for that matter... while the
                                current era is tremendously exciting, that time between the Modern
                                Synthesis and the discovery of the structure of DNA was when modern
                                biology really came of age after 70 years of painful birth). So many
                                larger than life characters.

                                > One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A
                                > supernovas.

                                Nifty!

                                > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor
                                > surgery (doing fine)

                                No such thing as minor surgery, in my opinion, just degrees of
                                major... Get well soon.

                                > and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this
                                > kind of discussion.

                                On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                Charlie
                              • Doug
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                  Charlie wrote:

                                  > On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                  I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                    On 13/02/2007, at 5:43 PM, Doug wrote:

                                    > Charlie wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                    >
                                    > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                    > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                    Coincidentally, that's precisely how physics makes me feel...

                                    Charlie
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                      Doug wrote:

                                      > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery
                                      > (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in
                                      > an this kind of discussion.

                                      No, but it makes it a lot of fun to watch Yellow Submarine.... :)

                                      Julia

                                      Been There, Done That

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                        Doug wrote:
                                        > Charlie wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                        >
                                        > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                        > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                        I'm sorry!

                                        One of the scripts I got after my surgery last fall (I had 2 different
                                        painkillers) included a bit of promethazine in each pill, so that cut
                                        down on the nausea. I think that was the Demerol stuff.

                                        I did end up getting a prescription for promethazine by itself, but I'm
                                        thinking it was the antibiotics prescribed to prevent postoperative
                                        infection as much as anything else that was messing me up. (And it was
                                        stronger than amoxicillin, which is about the only thing that doesn't
                                        start doing nasty things to me.)