How I would change the U.N.

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
      Just off the top of my head:

      I'd add another legislative body that consisted of elected representatives from each country.

      I'd give it the ability to tax international commerce to fund itself.

      I'd allow it to accept volunteers for its peacekeeping force that would then owe allegiance to no single nation.

    • David Hobby
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
        Doug wrote:
        > Just off the top of my head:

        And if I were an evil dictator, I'd:

        > I'd add another legislative body that consisted of elected representatives from each country.

        Make sure my henchmen won the elections in my country.

        > I'd give it the ability to tax international commerce to fund itself.

        Let you go ahead with that. I do lots of off-the-books smuggling,
        anyway.

        > I'd allow it to accept volunteers for its peacekeeping force that would then owe allegiance to no single nation.

        The volunteers from my country would need to send money home
        to support the families that stayed behind. I wouldn't even
        have to point out that "accidents do happen", my reputation
        would make that clear.

        Muhbwahhahah!

        ---David

        Sorry, just feeling negative today.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
          On 3 Feb 2007, at 23:23, David Hobby wrote:

          > Doug wrote:
          >> Just off the top of my head:
          >>

          > And if I were an evil dictator, I'd:
          >
          >> I'd add another legislative body that consisted of elected
          >> representatives from each country.
          >
          > Make sure my henchmen won the elections in my country.
          >
          >> I'd give it the ability to tax international commerce to fund itself.
          >
          > Let you go ahead with that. I do lots of off-the-books smuggling,
          > anyway.
          >
          >> I'd allow it to accept volunteers for its peacekeeping force that
          >> would then owe allegiance to no single nation.
          >
          > The volunteers from my country would need to send money home
          > to support the families that stayed behind. I wouldn't even
          > have to point out that "accidents do happen", my reputation
          > would make that clear.

          Nice cerise uniforms with lots of braid. And pointy hats with
          horsehair plumes. And funny marching.

          --
          William T Goodall
          Mail : wtg@...

          "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.'
          There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
          -John C. Dvorak, SF Examiner, Feb. 1984.