Re: Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
      From: "Charlie Bell" <charlie@...>
      To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 2:29 PM
      Subject: Re: Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model

      > On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

      I think the key "new" idea is given in this paragraph:

      "At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts
      individually instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big
      Bang. The patches become an infinite number of independent universes
      that contract and then bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner
      similar to the Big Bang. One patch becomes our universe."

      In all the Big Bang/Big Crunch concepts that *I* have personally read
      about, the idea revolved around a single universe expanding,
      contracting, and reconstituting itself endlessly. Sort of an eternal
      reciprocating cycle.

      What makes this idea different is that it posits an eternal branching
      of new discrete entities. IMO the concept bears only a superficial
      resemblence to Bang/Crunch theories, but more closely resembles the
      theories where black holes generate universe entities. Well....not in
      the maths and physics areas of course, but in the sense of how one
      tries to visualize the bigger picture of extra-universal relation. The
      Bang/Crunch can be described as a simple circle, but this new theory
      (as far as I understand it) would resemble a branching tree or a sort
      of fractal sargassum.

      AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
      we know it.
      Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
      background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
      edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
      spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
      such to be entertaining.
      Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

      xponent
      Of Eshatological Importance To The Skrulls Maru

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
        Rob wrote:

        > AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
        > we know it.
        > Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
        > background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
        > edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
        > spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
        > such to be entertaining.
        > Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

        I probably have less expertise than either of you, but though I probably should just believe the experts, I can't get rid of my skepticism concerning the Big Bang. Everywhere we look, from the microscopic to the vastness of space, we see constructs that are orbital in nature and that together with other constructs of similar size are the building blocks for the next larger construct. Atoms, solar systems, galaxies. Are we so sure that the galaxies and other constructs we observe in space aren't part of some fantastically, unimaginably large construct that is itself just one of many? Isn't it egotistical to place ourselves at the center of the universe in this respect?

        Spellcheck complete maru
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
          On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

          Well, I think I understand what they are saying...or at least what makes
          sense out of the report. My references are a bit old....from 25 year old
          cosmoloy, so Rich might correct me a bit, but since he hasn't answered
          here, I'll give it a try.

          The critical thing to point at is the evidence for dark energy. The
          acceleration of the expansion of the universe requires some force/energy
          behind it. It's unseen, and thus called dark energy. This allows some
          freedom in the definition of space after the universe expands for billions
          and billions of additional years. What I don't understand is how dark
          energy can cause symmetry to return to space....alowing for small patches
          of it to freeze and produce new universes.

          The advantage of these schemes is that there is real evidence for dark
          energy...so that parameter isn't just a free one. But, the theories like
          the one proposed are still minimally constrained...so we should expect a
          lot of different explainations to fit data.

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
            > AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
            > we know it.
            > Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
            > background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
            > edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
            > spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
            > such to be entertaining.
            > Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

            >I probably have less expertise than either of you, but though I probably
            should just >believe the experts, I can't get rid of my skepticism
            concerning the Big Bang. >Everywhere we look, from the microscopic to the
            vastness of space, we see constructs >that are orbital in nature and that
            together with other constructs of similar size are >the building blocks for
            the next larger construct.

            Actually, atoms, protons, neutrons, pions, etc. are not orbital in nature.

            >Atoms, solar systems, galaxies. Are we so sure that the galaxies and
            other constructs >we observe in space aren't part of some fantastically,
            unimaginably large construct >that is itself just one of many? Isn't it
            egotistical to place ourselves at the center >of the universe in this
            respect?

            Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
            it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
            that. There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
            a tremendous amount of data that are consistant with the Big Bang., etc.

            Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

            Spellcheck complete maru

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
              On 04/02/2007, at 6:48 AM, Robert Seeberger wrote:

              > I think the key "new" idea is given in this paragraph:
              >
              > "At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts
              > individually instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big
              > Bang. The patches become an infinite number of independent universes
              > that contract and then bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner
              > similar to the Big Bang. One patch becomes our universe."

              Ah, yes. My brain didn't parse that properly the first time.

              Still, it doesn't seem to change anything we know about the expansion
              phase of this universe, just postulate a different end. I'm in no
              position to judge the maths though.

              Charlie.
            • Robert Seeberger
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
                > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

                [Guessing]
                Delayed Choice?

                xponent
                Anthropic Digressions Maru

              • Robert Seeberger
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2007
                    Dan wrote:

                    > Actually, atoms, protons, neutrons, pions, etc. are not orbital in nature.

                    Are there similarities in structure?

                    > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                    > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                    > that.

                    As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there is no direct evidence.

                    > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                    > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                    It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to _know_ the answer as well.

                    > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

                    Eh?

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 7, 2007

                      Some, but the differences are more staggering. In all cases, we are dealing
                      with angular momentum and an attractive force. This leads to certain
                      patterns in systems with any complexity at all. Almost all of the time, the
                      angular momentum is such that a singularity will not form. The well known
                      exception is, of course, a black hole....where a singularity still forms.
                      Now, other factors are involved, and there can be more than one force
                      involved, but that does not undermine the utility of looking at the
                      similarity in atoms and galaxies in terms of attractive force and angular
                      momentum.

                      It should be noted that there are extremely important differences that are
                      not seen in the classical models we use to describe the atom. For example,
                      the highest values for the function that determines the probability of
                      measuring an electron's position is within the nucleus. If that happened on
                      a classical level, the most likely position to find the earth would be
                      within the sun.

                      > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                      > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                      > > that.
                      >
                      > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                      > is no direct evidence.

                      Huh? The Big Bang theory is over 50 years old. It, and the steady state
                      universe theory were evenly competing theories until 1964, when the cosmic
                      background radiation was discovered....supporting the Big Bang.

                      Numerous observations were made since then, allowing for/requiring
                      refinement of the Big Bang theory. One thing worth noting on this is the
                      tie in with particle physics. The energy densities of the early universe and
                      the energy densities available at particle accelerators were similar,
                      allowing for cross correlations of the physics of the universe and the
                      physics seen in the lab. There were a large number of strong cross
                      correlations observed.

                      There are, of course, still problems modeling some of the structure. One
                      problem is the grainy nature of the universe. The universe is structured in
                      such a way that it was difficult to reconcile the size of the structures
                      with both the speed of light and the energy densities at which these
                      structures could form. In other words, in a classical big bang theory, when
                      the universe was small enough for these structures to form in a manner
                      consistent with the speed of light, it was too hot for these structures to
                      form.

                      Thus, the expansion phase was introduced. It postulates somewhat different
                      physics during the first few milliseconds than is seen now. It is not
                      unreasonable to consider this as somewhat of an ad hoc theory, somewhat like
                      the Bohr atom.

                      Now, on to dark energy.... Recent observations have indicated that the
                      expansion of the universe is accelerating. Some unknown force is causing
                      the galaxies to fly apart at an increasing rate. Force is correlated with
                      energy, of course, and the rate of expansion can be used to calculate how
                      much energy is required....thus the estimate of the amounts that are given.
                      Another way of expressing this is the cosmological constant.

                      Both dark energy and the cosmological constant are ways of modeling what we
                      see. They are different ways of saying the same thing. Neither are
                      required for the Big Bang theory, per se, but both are means of modeling the
                      fact that the universe is observed to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

                      Now, it is possible to come up with other theories that have other
                      explanations for the acceleration. But, in order for these theories to
                      supplant the Big Bang, they will also have to model all that the Big Bang
                      has successfully modeled. And, that's a large amount of data. The interest
                      is focused on the difficulties of the Big Bang....and how it needs to be
                      modified to fit new observations.

                      That's where the interest should be, and where the fun is. If you were to
                      tell me that you think that the present theories will be replaced with a
                      better theory in a few years, a few decades, etc., I wouldn't argue. What I
                      would argue is that the present theories will be seen as a subset of that
                      theory....just as classical electromagnetism is a subset of QED.

                      > > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                      > > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                      > It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to
                      > _know_ the answer as well.

                      Virtually every (if not actually every) physicist/astrophysicist I've talked
                      with about this are happy coming up with the best models of observations
                      they can...period. Usually, it's the non-professionals that insist that
                      science is a means of knowing "the truth." Carl Sagan is a noticeable
                      exception to this....and I find much of what he says to be problematic. As
                      an aside, I'd argue that this is correlated to his letting his politics
                      trump his professionalism later in his career.

                      > > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)
                      >
                      > Eh?

                      A paraphrase of his statement is:

                      "It's true that the universe is vast, and we are a small part of it. But,
                      it's also true that the universe would not exist without a primitive act of
                      registration."

                      This metaphysics is more consistent with observations than realism. This
                      doesn't make it right, and it certainly isn't proven by physics....but it is
                      very consistent with observations.

                    • Klaus Stock
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 8, 2007
                        > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                        > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                        > > that.
                        >
                        > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                        is no
                        > direct evidence.

                        Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                        As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                        we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                        with a fishy theory about "gravity". D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                        explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                        real truth. And there will never be.

                        Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                        discuss! ;-)

                        - Klaus

                        If the universe was created by the Big Bang, was the intrenet created by the
                        Big Flame?
                      • Doug
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 9, 2007
                          Klaus wrote:

                          > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                          Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work without it. That type 1A su

                          > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                          > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                          > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                          We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things fall to the ground.

                          D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                          > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                          > real truth. And there will never be.

                          Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                          > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                          > discuss! ;-)

                          Now _that_ we can agree on.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                            > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                            >Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work
                            without it.

                            You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                            accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is fundamentally
                            based on that. That's pretty well what it says.

                            > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity.
                            All
                            > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came
                            up
                            > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                            >We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things
                            fall to the >ground.

                            But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                            instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism. Further, the
                            fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the electron in
                            QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon for
                            about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that showed
                            the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                            Newtonian gravitation.

                            The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a means of
                            expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your difficulty is.
                            Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                            accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that went
                            into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing this
                            acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                            Dan M.

                            D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                            > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                            > real truth. And there will never be.

                            Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                            > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                            > discuss! ;-)

                            Now _that_ we can agree on.

                          • Robert Seeberger
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                              >> Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.
                              >
                              >>Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't
                              >>work
                              > without it.
                              >
                              > You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                              > accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is
                              > fundamentally
                              > based on that. That's pretty well what it says.
                              >

                              >> As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for
                              >> gravity.
                              > All
                              >> we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some
                              >> people came
                              > up
                              >> with a fishy theory about "gravity".
                              >

                              >>We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that
                              >>things
                              > fall to the >ground.
                              >
                              > But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                              > instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism.
                              > Further, the
                              > fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the
                              > electron in
                              > QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon
                              > for
                              > about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that
                              > showed
                              > the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                              > Newtonian gravitation.
                              >
                              > The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a
                              > means of
                              > expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your
                              > difficulty is.
                              > Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                              > accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that
                              > went
                              > into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing
                              > this
                              > acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                              Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                              mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                              effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                              are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                              of it.
                              We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                              IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                              current theory as unrealistic.

                              xponent
                              Evidential Maru

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007

                                > Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                                > mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                                > effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                                > are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                                > of it.

                                Well, the fact that we can use it is always a good confirmation. Very
                                precise measurements of this effect, more precise than needed to use the
                                effect, will allow us to test the predictions of GR. So that's a good
                                thing.

                                > We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                                > IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                                > current theory as unrealistic.

                                The last thing that I read was that the anomalies were consistent with at
                                least one possible mundane cause. This is, almost universally, considered a
                                lack of evidence supporting an unknown force in science. Even, as with the
                                orbit of the moon, there appears to be no mundane explanation for observed
                                phenomena, the explanation almost always ends up being mundane. So, the
                                Pioneer Anamoly, while probably worth continued investigation, does not
                                offer any evidence for new physics.

                                Dark matter is only quazi-new physics....its existence can be explained
                                within the standard model. For the lurkers, I might mention that dark
                                matter is needed to explain gravitational attraction in galaxies...which is
                                higher than one would expect from the gravitational attraction of the
                                observed matter.

                                Dark energy, on the other hand, is not explicable in terms of the standard
                                model. It postulates a new force...an anti-gravity force. This force is
                                sufficient to overcome gravity and accelerate the expansion of the universe.

                                As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                                April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                                pre-announced in the press.

                              • Doug
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                  Dan wrote:

                                  > As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                                  > April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                                  > pre-announced in the press.

                                  I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..." One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A supernovas.

                                  Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this kind of discussion.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                    On 13/02/2007, at 3:07 PM, Doug wrote:

                                    > Dan wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS
                                    >> meeting in
                                    >> April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or
                                    >> they'd be
                                    >> pre-announced in the press.
                                    >
                                    > I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that
                                    > project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion
                                    > with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..."

                                    Yep. There were a few of them at that time. Pretty much the Golden
                                    Age of modern physics (and biology, for that matter... while the
                                    current era is tremendously exciting, that time between the Modern
                                    Synthesis and the discovery of the structure of DNA was when modern
                                    biology really came of age after 70 years of painful birth). So many
                                    larger than life characters.

                                    > One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A
                                    > supernovas.

                                    Nifty!

                                    > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor
                                    > surgery (doing fine)

                                    No such thing as minor surgery, in my opinion, just degrees of
                                    major... Get well soon.

                                    > and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this
                                    > kind of discussion.

                                    On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                    Charlie
                                  • Doug
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                      Charlie wrote:

                                      > On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                      I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                        On 13/02/2007, at 5:43 PM, Doug wrote:

                                        > Charlie wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                        >
                                        > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                        > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                        Coincidentally, that's precisely how physics makes me feel...

                                        Charlie
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                          Doug wrote:

                                          > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery
                                          > (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in
                                          > an this kind of discussion.

                                          No, but it makes it a lot of fun to watch Yellow Submarine.... :)

                                          Julia

                                          Been There, Done That

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                            Doug wrote:
                                            > Charlie wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                            >
                                            > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                            > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                            I'm sorry!

                                            One of the scripts I got after my surgery last fall (I had 2 different
                                            painkillers) included a bit of promethazine in each pill, so that cut
                                            down on the nausea. I think that was the Demerol stuff.

                                            I did end up getting a prescription for promethazine by itself, but I'm
                                            thinking it was the antibiotics prescribed to prevent postoperative
                                            infection as much as anything else that was messing me up. (And it was
                                            stronger than amoxicillin, which is about the only thing that doesn't
                                            start doing nasty things to me.)