Re: What science fiction writer are you?

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 2, 2007
      On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 05:26:50 -0800, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

      > On 01/02/2007, at 3:40 PM, Doug wrote:
      >

      >>> Yeah. Claire said that Glory Season pisses her off 'cause Brin comes
      >>> across as badly sexist. I don't see it, but I guess that's the
      >>> point...
      >>
      >> What's her rational?
      >
      > Assuming you meant rationale, um.

      Yep, sorry.

      I don't know. That's just what she
      > said when I waved it at her and said she might like it. "No, I've
      > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be really sexist and
      > think women are inferior and it's more than the world-building,
      > that's cool, it's just the way he writes women."
      >
      > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no idea really. She likes
      > Banks a lot though.

      I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed off because someone else (a feminist organization I think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be pro-feminist.

      I read the book some ten years ago and don't remember that much about it.

      Congrats on the job, BTW. Sounds like things are falling into place for you and Claire.

    • Deborah Harrell
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 9, 2007
        > Doug <brighto@...> wrote:
        > >Charlie Bell wrote:

        <some snippage>
        > off 'cause Brin comes

        > >> What's her rational[e]?

        > > I don't know..."No, I've
        > > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be
        > >really sexist and
        > > think women are inferior and ...it's just the way
        > > he writes women."

        > > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no
        > >idea really. She likes Banks a lot though.

        > I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed
        > off because someone else (a feminist organization I
        > think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he
        > considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be
        > pro-feminist.
        >
        > I read the book some ten years ago and don't
        > remember that much about it.

        I also read it ~ 12 yrs ago, and I didn't care for it;
        I don't recall thinking it sexist, exactly, but *I*
        wouldn't want to live in such a world. I actually
        resold the book (unlike all the Uplift novels, which I
        got in hardcover b/c I enjoy them so much). I do
        think his female Uplift characters are very
        well-drawn, and I can relate to how most of them feel
        and behave. Now I shall have to reread GS, and see
        what it was that annoyed me...

        More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and while
        I enjoyed the culure-building very much (and see
        parallels to some of today's mess), I hated to see
        some of the main protagonists die before getting a
        decent chance at redemption. Also, I didn't think his
        women as multi-faceted as Brin's, but to be fair I
        judge a book quite heavily on whether I like (or can
        relate to) major characters.

        The women in the Duneverse seem less than
        three-dimentional as well, overly preoccupied with
        pleasing a man, duping a man, or grasping at power by
        using men. I did find returning there interesting
        enough to plan to read the next in the
        Herbert/Anderson prequel series - just turned _House
        Atriedes_ (sp?) back in.

        Debbi
        # There But For The Grace Of God Go I Maru

      • Steve Sloan
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
          On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Carolyn L Burke wrote:

          > It said I was Arthur C. Clarke.

          <AOL>Me, too.</AOL> :-)

          > Does that make me a Greg Benford by proxy?

          Maybe.
        • Deborah Harrell
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
            > Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

            <snip most>
            > More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and
            > while I enjoyed the culure-building very much...

            <smacks self on forehead>
            Urf, that'd be _Consider Phlebas_ of course...I seem
            to have problems getting that title correct!

            I'm also in the middle of a quasi-medieval swords n'
            sorcery set by Kate Elliot, 'Crown of Stars,' which is
            enjoyable - much grittier than most. (Amusing how
            many authors avoid the reality of human city life
            without decent sanitation; she notes the spectre of
            death with pregnancy/childbirth, and high infant/child
            mortality, of that realm as well.)

            Debbi
            Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
            Finally! Maru :)

          • Deborah Harrell
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                I didn't _think_ that I hit send twice... <sigh>

                >Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

                > Debbi
                > Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
                > Finally! Maru :)

                Darby morphed into a studhorse: half-rearing, prancing
                about, tail high-flagged, and roller-snorting. You'd
                never guess he was 26 years old - sheesh! It's still
                not safe to ride on the canal trail - too much snow
                and ice - but maybe in a week or two, Lawd willin' an'
                the jet stream don't dip. ;)

                Debbi
                who still hasn't ridden since before Christmas, for
                goodness sake (although one shouldn't complain,
                considering the upstate N'Yawkers with over 100 inches
                of recent snow)