Re: Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2007
      On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

> [...]

      But isn't that what these guys are proposing, in effect? The
      differences are lost on this non-physicist...

      Of course, given the general state of reportage these days, they
      could have said anything.

      Charlie
    • Robert Seeberger
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
        > On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

        I think the key "new" idea is given in this paragraph:

        "At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts
        individually instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big
        Bang. The patches become an infinite number of independent universes
        that contract and then bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner
        similar to the Big Bang. One patch becomes our universe."

        In all the Big Bang/Big Crunch concepts that *I* have personally read
        about, the idea revolved around a single universe expanding,
        contracting, and reconstituting itself endlessly. Sort of an eternal
        reciprocating cycle.

        What makes this idea different is that it posits an eternal branching
        of new discrete entities. IMO the concept bears only a superficial
        resemblence to Bang/Crunch theories, but more closely resembles the
        theories where black holes generate universe entities. Well....not in
        the maths and physics areas of course, but in the sense of how one
        tries to visualize the bigger picture of extra-universal relation. The
        Bang/Crunch can be described as a simple circle, but this new theory
        (as far as I understand it) would resemble a branching tree or a sort
        of fractal sargassum.

        AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
        we know it.
        Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
        background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
        edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
        spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
        such to be entertaining.
        Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

        xponent
        Of Eshatological Importance To The Skrulls Maru

      • Doug
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
          Rob wrote:

          > AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
          > we know it.
          > Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
          > background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
          > edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
          > spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
          > such to be entertaining.
          > Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

          I probably have less expertise than either of you, but though I probably should just believe the experts, I can't get rid of my skepticism concerning the Big Bang. Everywhere we look, from the microscopic to the vastness of space, we see constructs that are orbital in nature and that together with other constructs of similar size are the building blocks for the next larger construct. Atoms, solar systems, galaxies. Are we so sure that the galaxies and other constructs we observe in space aren't part of some fantastically, unimaginably large construct that is itself just one of many? Isn't it egotistical to place ourselves at the center of the universe in this respect?

          Spellcheck complete maru
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
            On 03/02/2007, at 1:44 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

            Well, I think I understand what they are saying...or at least what makes
            sense out of the report. My references are a bit old....from 25 year old
            cosmoloy, so Rich might correct me a bit, but since he hasn't answered
            here, I'll give it a try.

            The critical thing to point at is the evidence for dark energy. The
            acceleration of the expansion of the universe requires some force/energy
            behind it. It's unseen, and thus called dark energy. This allows some
            freedom in the definition of space after the universe expands for billions
            and billions of additional years. What I don't understand is how dark
            energy can cause symmetry to return to space....alowing for small patches
            of it to freeze and produce new universes.

            The advantage of these schemes is that there is real evidence for dark
            energy...so that parameter isn't just a free one. But, the theories like
            the one proposed are still minimally constrained...so we should expect a
            lot of different explainations to fit data.

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
              > AFAICT it is all meta-physics and only nominally related to reality as
              > we know it.
              > Like Charlie, I am not a physicist. Unlike Charlie, I have even less
              > background to speculate from. So if anyone has even specks that might
              > edify me I would be interested. I find the whole idea of "where
              > spacetime/reality comes from" to be fascinating, and discussions of
              > such to be entertaining.
              > Endlessly useless, but entertaining.<G>

              >I probably have less expertise than either of you, but though I probably
              should just >believe the experts, I can't get rid of my skepticism
              concerning the Big Bang. >Everywhere we look, from the microscopic to the
              vastness of space, we see constructs >that are orbital in nature and that
              together with other constructs of similar size are >the building blocks for
              the next larger construct.

              Actually, atoms, protons, neutrons, pions, etc. are not orbital in nature.

              >Atoms, solar systems, galaxies. Are we so sure that the galaxies and
              other constructs >we observe in space aren't part of some fantastically,
              unimaginably large construct >that is itself just one of many? Isn't it
              egotistical to place ourselves at the center >of the universe in this
              respect?

              Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
              it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
              that. There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
              a tremendous amount of data that are consistant with the Big Bang., etc.

              Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

              Spellcheck complete maru

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
                On 04/02/2007, at 6:48 AM, Robert Seeberger wrote:

                > I think the key "new" idea is given in this paragraph:
                >
                > "At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts
                > individually instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big
                > Bang. The patches become an infinite number of independent universes
                > that contract and then bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner
                > similar to the Big Bang. One patch becomes our universe."

                Ah, yes. My brain didn't parse that properly the first time.

                Still, it doesn't seem to change anything we know about the expansion
                phase of this universe, just postulate a different end. I'm in no
                position to judge the maths though.

                Charlie.
              • Robert Seeberger
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
                  > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

                  [Guessing]
                  Delayed Choice?

                  xponent
                  Anthropic Digressions Maru

                • Robert Seeberger
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Dan wrote:

                      > Actually, atoms, protons, neutrons, pions, etc. are not orbital in nature.

                      Are there similarities in structure?

                      > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                      > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                      > that.

                      As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there is no direct evidence.

                      > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                      > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                      It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to _know_ the answer as well.

                      > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)

                      Eh?

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 7, 2007

                        Some, but the differences are more staggering. In all cases, we are dealing
                        with angular momentum and an attractive force. This leads to certain
                        patterns in systems with any complexity at all. Almost all of the time, the
                        angular momentum is such that a singularity will not form. The well known
                        exception is, of course, a black hole....where a singularity still forms.
                        Now, other factors are involved, and there can be more than one force
                        involved, but that does not undermine the utility of looking at the
                        similarity in atoms and galaxies in terms of attractive force and angular
                        momentum.

                        It should be noted that there are extremely important differences that are
                        not seen in the classical models we use to describe the atom. For example,
                        the highest values for the function that determines the probability of
                        measuring an electron's position is within the nucleus. If that happened on
                        a classical level, the most likely position to find the earth would be
                        within the sun.

                        > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                        > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                        > > that.
                        >
                        > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                        > is no direct evidence.

                        Huh? The Big Bang theory is over 50 years old. It, and the steady state
                        universe theory were evenly competing theories until 1964, when the cosmic
                        background radiation was discovered....supporting the Big Bang.

                        Numerous observations were made since then, allowing for/requiring
                        refinement of the Big Bang theory. One thing worth noting on this is the
                        tie in with particle physics. The energy densities of the early universe and
                        the energy densities available at particle accelerators were similar,
                        allowing for cross correlations of the physics of the universe and the
                        physics seen in the lab. There were a large number of strong cross
                        correlations observed.

                        There are, of course, still problems modeling some of the structure. One
                        problem is the grainy nature of the universe. The universe is structured in
                        such a way that it was difficult to reconcile the size of the structures
                        with both the speed of light and the energy densities at which these
                        structures could form. In other words, in a classical big bang theory, when
                        the universe was small enough for these structures to form in a manner
                        consistent with the speed of light, it was too hot for these structures to
                        form.

                        Thus, the expansion phase was introduced. It postulates somewhat different
                        physics during the first few milliseconds than is seen now. It is not
                        unreasonable to consider this as somewhat of an ad hoc theory, somewhat like
                        the Bohr atom.

                        Now, on to dark energy.... Recent observations have indicated that the
                        expansion of the universe is accelerating. Some unknown force is causing
                        the galaxies to fly apart at an increasing rate. Force is correlated with
                        energy, of course, and the rate of expansion can be used to calculate how
                        much energy is required....thus the estimate of the amounts that are given.
                        Another way of expressing this is the cosmological constant.

                        Both dark energy and the cosmological constant are ways of modeling what we
                        see. They are different ways of saying the same thing. Neither are
                        required for the Big Bang theory, per se, but both are means of modeling the
                        fact that the universe is observed to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

                        Now, it is possible to come up with other theories that have other
                        explanations for the acceleration. But, in order for these theories to
                        supplant the Big Bang, they will also have to model all that the Big Bang
                        has successfully modeled. And, that's a large amount of data. The interest
                        is focused on the difficulties of the Big Bang....and how it needs to be
                        modified to fit new observations.

                        That's where the interest should be, and where the fun is. If you were to
                        tell me that you think that the present theories will be replaced with a
                        better theory in a few years, a few decades, etc., I wouldn't argue. What I
                        would argue is that the present theories will be seen as a subset of that
                        theory....just as classical electromagnetism is a subset of QED.

                        > > There are lotsa cross correlations with other observations, there is
                        > > a tremendous amount of data that are consistent with the Big Bang., etc.

                        > It's consistant with "let there be light" and the scientist's desire to
                        > _know_ the answer as well.

                        Virtually every (if not actually every) physicist/astrophysicist I've talked
                        with about this are happy coming up with the best models of observations
                        they can...period. Usually, it's the non-professionals that insist that
                        science is a means of knowing "the truth." Carl Sagan is a noticeable
                        exception to this....and I find much of what he says to be problematic. As
                        an aside, I'd argue that this is correlated to his letting his politics
                        trump his professionalism later in his career.

                        > > Finally, what if Wheeler is right about the universe. :-)
                        >
                        > Eh?

                        A paraphrase of his statement is:

                        "It's true that the universe is vast, and we are a small part of it. But,
                        it's also true that the universe would not exist without a primitive act of
                        registration."

                        This metaphysics is more consistent with observations than realism. This
                        doesn't make it right, and it certainly isn't proven by physics....but it is
                        very consistent with observations.

                      • Klaus Stock
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 8, 2007
                          > > Why egotistical? Science is not about uncovering mysteries and truths,
                          > > it's about modeling observation. The Big Bang does a very good job of
                          > > that.
                          >
                          > As long as the universe is 74% "mysterious" dark energy, for which there
                          is no
                          > direct evidence.

                          Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                          As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                          we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                          with a fishy theory about "gravity". D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                          explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                          real truth. And there will never be.

                          Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                          discuss! ;-)

                          - Klaus

                          If the universe was created by the Big Bang, was the intrenet created by the
                          Big Flame?
                        • Doug
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 9, 2007
                            Klaus wrote:

                            > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                            Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work without it. That type 1A su

                            > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity. All
                            > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came up
                            > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                            We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things fall to the ground.

                            D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                            > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                            > real truth. And there will never be.

                            Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                            > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                            > discuss! ;-)

                            Now _that_ we can agree on.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                              > Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.

                              >Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't work
                              without it.

                              You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                              accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is fundamentally
                              based on that. That's pretty well what it says.

                              > As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for gravity.
                              All
                              > we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some people came
                              up
                              > with a fishy theory about "gravity".

                              >We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that things
                              fall to the >ground.

                              But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                              instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism. Further, the
                              fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the electron in
                              QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon for
                              about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that showed
                              the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                              Newtonian gravitation.

                              The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a means of
                              expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your difficulty is.
                              Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                              accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that went
                              into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing this
                              acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                              Dan M.

                              D'oh! Yup, this model helps us to
                              > explain why things fall to the ground, but there is no way to find out the
                              > real truth. And there will never be.

                              Why not? Never is way to absolute for me. Especially on an SF list!

                              > Meanwhile, cosmology and particle physics make darn intersting subjects to
                              > discuss! ;-)

                              Now _that_ we can agree on.

                            • Robert Seeberger
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 10, 2007
                                >> Yup, but we've got indirect "evidence" already.
                                >
                                >>Not really. All we've got is that some of our pet theories don't
                                >>work
                                > without it.
                                >
                                > You mean like F=ma? The use of dark energy as an explaination for
                                > accleration in the opposite direction of all known forces is
                                > fundamentally
                                > based on that. That's pretty well what it says.
                                >

                                >> As for direct evidence, we don't have any at all. Not even for
                                >> gravity.
                                > All
                                >> we notice is that things keep falling to the ground, and some
                                >> people came
                                > up
                                >> with a fishy theory about "gravity".
                                >

                                >>We didn't invent gravity as a fudge factor to prove our theory that
                                >>things
                                > fall to the >ground.
                                >
                                > But, it did have something that was considered in that light: spooky
                                > instantaneous action at a distance with no known mechanism.
                                > Further, the
                                > fudge factor of dark energy is more akin to the charge of the
                                > electron in
                                > QED or maybe the fudge factor used to explain the orbit of the moon
                                > for
                                > about 100 years before Laplace, I think, did the calculations that
                                > showed
                                > the consistancy of the moon's orbit with the predictions afforded by
                                > Newtonian gravitation.
                                >
                                > The expansion of the universe is accelerating. Dark energy is a
                                > means of
                                > expressing this in terms of force. I'm not sure what your
                                > difficulty is.
                                > Are you arguing that the expansion of the universe is not really
                                > accelerating, and that there were some unwarrented assumptions that
                                > went
                                > into these conclusions? Or, do you see a problem with describing
                                > this
                                > acceleration in terms of F=ma?

                                Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                                mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                                effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                                are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                                of it.
                                We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                                IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                                current theory as unrealistic.

                                xponent
                                Evidential Maru

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007

                                  > Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
                                  > mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
                                  > effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
                                  > are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
                                  > of it.

                                  Well, the fact that we can use it is always a good confirmation. Very
                                  precise measurements of this effect, more precise than needed to use the
                                  effect, will allow us to test the predictions of GR. So that's a good
                                  thing.

                                  > We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
                                  > IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
                                  > current theory as unrealistic.

                                  The last thing that I read was that the anomalies were consistent with at
                                  least one possible mundane cause. This is, almost universally, considered a
                                  lack of evidence supporting an unknown force in science. Even, as with the
                                  orbit of the moon, there appears to be no mundane explanation for observed
                                  phenomena, the explanation almost always ends up being mundane. So, the
                                  Pioneer Anamoly, while probably worth continued investigation, does not
                                  offer any evidence for new physics.

                                  Dark matter is only quazi-new physics....its existence can be explained
                                  within the standard model. For the lurkers, I might mention that dark
                                  matter is needed to explain gravitational attraction in galaxies...which is
                                  higher than one would expect from the gravitational attraction of the
                                  observed matter.

                                  Dark energy, on the other hand, is not explicable in terms of the standard
                                  model. It postulates a new force...an anti-gravity force. This force is
                                  sufficient to overcome gravity and accelerate the expansion of the universe.

                                  As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                                  April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                                  pre-announced in the press.

                                • Doug
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                    Dan wrote:

                                    > As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
                                    > April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
                                    > pre-announced in the press.

                                    I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..." One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A supernovas.

                                    Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this kind of discussion.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                      On 13/02/2007, at 3:07 PM, Doug wrote:

                                      > Dan wrote:
                                      >

                                      >> As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS
                                      >> meeting in
                                      >> April. My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or
                                      >> they'd be
                                      >> pre-announced in the press.
                                      >
                                      > I just spoke with someone who spent a good deal of time on that
                                      > project and he seems to agree with you. He prefaced his conclusion
                                      > with "Einstein was a pretty bright guy..."

                                      Yep. There were a few of them at that time. Pretty much the Golden
                                      Age of modern physics (and biology, for that matter... while the
                                      current era is tremendously exciting, that time between the Modern
                                      Synthesis and the discovery of the structure of DNA was when modern
                                      biology really came of age after 70 years of painful birth). So many
                                      larger than life characters.

                                      > One of his current projects is a satellite that will map type 1A
                                      > supernovas.

                                      Nifty!

                                      > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor
                                      > surgery (doing fine)

                                      No such thing as minor surgery, in my opinion, just degrees of
                                      major... Get well soon.

                                      > and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in an this
                                      > kind of discussion.

                                      On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                      Charlie
                                    • Doug
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                        Charlie wrote:

                                        > On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!

                                        I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 12, 2007
                                          On 13/02/2007, at 5:43 PM, Doug wrote:

                                          > Charlie wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                          >
                                          > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                          > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                          Coincidentally, that's precisely how physics makes me feel...

                                          Charlie
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                            Doug wrote:

                                            > Sorry I haven’t responded to previous posts; I just had minor surgery
                                            > (doing fine) and being high on vicodin isn't much of an advantage in
                                            > an this kind of discussion.

                                            No, but it makes it a lot of fun to watch Yellow Submarine.... :)

                                            Julia

                                            Been There, Done That

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 13, 2007
                                              Doug wrote:
                                              > Charlie wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> On the contrary, I'd say it's a positive boon!
                                              >
                                              > I imagine it affects different people different ways. It makes me
                                              > feel groggy and slightly nauseous.

                                              I'm sorry!

                                              One of the scripts I got after my surgery last fall (I had 2 different
                                              painkillers) included a bit of promethazine in each pill, so that cut
                                              down on the nausea. I think that was the Demerol stuff.

                                              I did end up getting a prescription for promethazine by itself, but I'm
                                              thinking it was the antibiotics prescribed to prevent postoperative
                                              infection as much as anything else that was messing me up. (And it was
                                              stronger than amoxicillin, which is about the only thing that doesn't
                                              start doing nasty things to me.)