Re: What science fiction writer are you?

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
      Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
> [...]

      I'm not sure, to be honest.

      >> came out as Tiptree.
      >

      > -- Ronn! :)

      Julia

      and did you consider the possibility of transsexual one way or the other?
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 2, 2007
        On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 05:26:50 -0800, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

        > On 01/02/2007, at 3:40 PM, Doug wrote:
        >

        >>> Yeah. Claire said that Glory Season pisses her off 'cause Brin comes
        >>> across as badly sexist. I don't see it, but I guess that's the
        >>> point...
        >>
        >> What's her rational?
        >
        > Assuming you meant rationale, um.

        Yep, sorry.

        I don't know. That's just what she
        > said when I waved it at her and said she might like it. "No, I've
        > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be really sexist and
        > think women are inferior and it's more than the world-building,
        > that's cool, it's just the way he writes women."
        >
        > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no idea really. She likes
        > Banks a lot though.

        I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed off because someone else (a feminist organization I think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be pro-feminist.

        I read the book some ten years ago and don't remember that much about it.

        Congrats on the job, BTW. Sounds like things are falling into place for you and Claire.

      • Deborah Harrell
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 9, 2007
          > Doug <brighto@...> wrote:
          > >Charlie Bell wrote:

          <some snippage>
          > off 'cause Brin comes

          > >> What's her rational[e]?

          > > I don't know..."No, I've
          > > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be
          > >really sexist and
          > > think women are inferior and ...it's just the way
          > > he writes women."

          > > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no
          > >idea really. She likes Banks a lot though.

          > I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed
          > off because someone else (a feminist organization I
          > think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he
          > considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be
          > pro-feminist.
          >
          > I read the book some ten years ago and don't
          > remember that much about it.

          I also read it ~ 12 yrs ago, and I didn't care for it;
          I don't recall thinking it sexist, exactly, but *I*
          wouldn't want to live in such a world. I actually
          resold the book (unlike all the Uplift novels, which I
          got in hardcover b/c I enjoy them so much). I do
          think his female Uplift characters are very
          well-drawn, and I can relate to how most of them feel
          and behave. Now I shall have to reread GS, and see
          what it was that annoyed me...

          More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and while
          I enjoyed the culure-building very much (and see
          parallels to some of today's mess), I hated to see
          some of the main protagonists die before getting a
          decent chance at redemption. Also, I didn't think his
          women as multi-faceted as Brin's, but to be fair I
          judge a book quite heavily on whether I like (or can
          relate to) major characters.

          The women in the Duneverse seem less than
          three-dimentional as well, overly preoccupied with
          pleasing a man, duping a man, or grasping at power by
          using men. I did find returning there interesting
          enough to plan to read the next in the
          Herbert/Anderson prequel series - just turned _House
          Atriedes_ (sp?) back in.

          Debbi
          # There But For The Grace Of God Go I Maru

        • Steve Sloan
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
            On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Carolyn L Burke wrote:

            > It said I was Arthur C. Clarke.

            <AOL>Me, too.</AOL> :-)

            > Does that make me a Greg Benford by proxy?

            Maybe.
          • Deborah Harrell
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
              > Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

              <snip most>
              > More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and
              > while I enjoyed the culure-building very much...

              <smacks self on forehead>
              Urf, that'd be _Consider Phlebas_ of course...I seem
              to have problems getting that title correct!

              I'm also in the middle of a quasi-medieval swords n'
              sorcery set by Kate Elliot, 'Crown of Stars,' which is
              enjoyable - much grittier than most. (Amusing how
              many authors avoid the reality of human city life
              without decent sanitation; she notes the spectre of
              death with pregnancy/childbirth, and high infant/child
              mortality, of that realm as well.)

              Debbi
              Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
              Finally! Maru :)

            • Deborah Harrell
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                  I didn't _think_ that I hit send twice... <sigh>

                  >Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

                  > Debbi
                  > Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
                  > Finally! Maru :)

                  Darby morphed into a studhorse: half-rearing, prancing
                  about, tail high-flagged, and roller-snorting. You'd
                  never guess he was 26 years old - sheesh! It's still
                  not safe to ride on the canal trail - too much snow
                  and ice - but maybe in a week or two, Lawd willin' an'
                  the jet stream don't dip. ;)

                  Debbi
                  who still hasn't ridden since before Christmas, for
                  goodness sake (although one shouldn't complain,
                  considering the upstate N'Yawkers with over 100 inches
                  of recent snow)