Re: What science fiction writer are you?

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
      At 07:23 PM Wednesday 1/31/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >Dan Minette wrote:

      Male or female?

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
        On 1 Feb 2007, at 03:05, Jo Anne wrote:

        > Hi List --
        >
        > OK, so once again I'm waaay off everyone else here.
        >
        > I'm William Gibson (?)!

        And I'm Frank Herbert!

        --
        William T Goodall
        Mail : wtg@...

        And yes, OSX is marvelous. Its merest bootlace, Windows is not worthy
        to kiss. - David Brin

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
          On 01/02/2007, at 3:40 PM, Doug wrote:

          >> Yeah. Claire said that Glory Season pisses her off 'cause Brin comes
          >> across as badly sexist. I don't see it, but I guess that's the
          >> point...
          >
          > What's her rational?

          Assuming you meant rationale, um. I don't know. That's just what she
          said when I waved it at her and said she might like it. "No, I've
          read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be really sexist and
          think women are inferior and it's more than the world-building,
          that's cool, it's just the way he writes women."

          So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no idea really. She likes
          Banks a lot though.

          Charlie
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
            Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
> [...]

            I'm not sure, to be honest.

            >> came out as Tiptree.
            >

            > -- Ronn! :)

            Julia

            and did you consider the possibility of transsexual one way or the other?
          • Doug
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2007
              On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 05:26:50 -0800, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

              > On 01/02/2007, at 3:40 PM, Doug wrote:
              >

              >>> Yeah. Claire said that Glory Season pisses her off 'cause Brin comes
              >>> across as badly sexist. I don't see it, but I guess that's the
              >>> point...
              >>
              >> What's her rational?
              >
              > Assuming you meant rationale, um.

              Yep, sorry.

              I don't know. That's just what she
              > said when I waved it at her and said she might like it. "No, I've
              > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be really sexist and
              > think women are inferior and it's more than the world-building,
              > that's cool, it's just the way he writes women."
              >
              > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no idea really. She likes
              > Banks a lot though.

              I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed off because someone else (a feminist organization I think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be pro-feminist.

              I read the book some ten years ago and don't remember that much about it.

              Congrats on the job, BTW. Sounds like things are falling into place for you and Claire.

            • Deborah Harrell
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 9, 2007
                > Doug <brighto@...> wrote:
                > >Charlie Bell wrote:

                <some snippage>
                > off 'cause Brin comes

                > >> What's her rational[e]?

                > > I don't know..."No, I've
                > > read it and it pissed me off, Brin seems to be
                > >really sexist and
                > > think women are inferior and ...it's just the way
                > > he writes women."

                > > So, using my female-male dictionary, I have no
                > >idea really. She likes Banks a lot though.

                > I was curious because I remember Brin being pissed
                > off because someone else (a feminist organization I
                > think) had a similar reaction. I'm pretty sure he
                > considers himself a feminist and Glory Season to be
                > pro-feminist.
                >
                > I read the book some ten years ago and don't
                > remember that much about it.

                I also read it ~ 12 yrs ago, and I didn't care for it;
                I don't recall thinking it sexist, exactly, but *I*
                wouldn't want to live in such a world. I actually
                resold the book (unlike all the Uplift novels, which I
                got in hardcover b/c I enjoy them so much). I do
                think his female Uplift characters are very
                well-drawn, and I can relate to how most of them feel
                and behave. Now I shall have to reread GS, and see
                what it was that annoyed me...

                More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and while
                I enjoyed the culure-building very much (and see
                parallels to some of today's mess), I hated to see
                some of the main protagonists die before getting a
                decent chance at redemption. Also, I didn't think his
                women as multi-faceted as Brin's, but to be fair I
                judge a book quite heavily on whether I like (or can
                relate to) major characters.

                The women in the Duneverse seem less than
                three-dimentional as well, overly preoccupied with
                pleasing a man, duping a man, or grasping at power by
                using men. I did find returning there interesting
                enough to plan to read the next in the
                Herbert/Anderson prequel series - just turned _House
                Atriedes_ (sp?) back in.

                Debbi
                # There But For The Grace Of God Go I Maru

              • Steve Sloan
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                  On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Carolyn L Burke wrote:

                  > It said I was Arthur C. Clarke.

                  <AOL>Me, too.</AOL> :-)

                  > Does that make me a Greg Benford by proxy?

                  Maybe.
                • Deborah Harrell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                    > Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

                    <snip most>
                    > More books: I finished _Remember Phlebas_#, and
                    > while I enjoyed the culure-building very much...

                    <smacks self on forehead>
                    Urf, that'd be _Consider Phlebas_ of course...I seem
                    to have problems getting that title correct!

                    I'm also in the middle of a quasi-medieval swords n'
                    sorcery set by Kate Elliot, 'Crown of Stars,' which is
                    enjoyable - much grittier than most. (Amusing how
                    many authors avoid the reality of human city life
                    without decent sanitation; she notes the spectre of
                    death with pregnancy/childbirth, and high infant/child
                    mortality, of that realm as well.)

                    Debbi
                    Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
                    Finally! Maru :)

                  • Deborah Harrell
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                        I didn't _think_ that I hit send twice... <sigh>

                        >Deborah Harrell <harrellmedleg@...> wrote:

                        > Debbi
                        > Delighted To Even Be Able To Handwalk The Horses -
                        > Finally! Maru :)

                        Darby morphed into a studhorse: half-rearing, prancing
                        about, tail high-flagged, and roller-snorting. You'd
                        never guess he was 26 years old - sheesh! It's still
                        not safe to ride on the canal trail - too much snow
                        and ice - but maybe in a week or two, Lawd willin' an'
                        the jet stream don't dip. ;)

                        Debbi
                        who still hasn't ridden since before Christmas, for
                        goodness sake (although one shouldn't complain,
                        considering the upstate N'Yawkers with over 100 inches
                        of recent snow)