Re: The Conversion of John C Wright

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 5, 2007
      On 05/01/2007, at 9:13 PM, William T Goodall wrote:

      >> He "certainly" isn't. Strident, forceful and rude, vicious in parody
      >> and a baiter who goes far too far in getting his rise out of people.
      >
      > You calling me a master baiter Charlie?

      *cough* Something like that... I find your schtick a bit tiresome,
      but not as tiresome as seeing the same couple of people on the same
      couple of lists rise to the same bait every time.

      >> It's both. When organisations protect those among their number (as
      >> with the recent and ongoing Catholic Church abuse revelations),
      >
      > Or the emerging Rabbi abuse scandal in New York.

      Or that one.

      >> the
      >> organisation and mind-set behind it is just as fair game as the
      >> individual perpetrators. Individuals are wholly responsible for their
      >> own actions, but any organisation or movement that protects the
      >> guilty from justice and responsibility is just as guilty.
      >>

      > That's religion!

      Organised religion is a subset of the groups that are susceptible to
      subversion by the immoral, and especially in the case of Christianity
      where obedience to a particular interpretation is encouraged to the
      detriment of healthy inquiry, and there is an organisation as a whole
      to be protected, these things are more easily swept under the carpet.

      I don't see that there's any reason to tar all religion with the same
      brush, but I do think the days of assuming that religious groups are
      more moral are over and need to be put aside - all groups need to be
      examined on their own merits.

      Charlie.

    • Deborah Harrell
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 10, 2007
        > Klaus Stock <ks@...> wrote:

        > "I, who did not until that moment even believe the
        > word 'spirit' had any meaning" (JCW's words)

        <some snippage throughout>
        > In fact, 'spirit' has several meanings:
        > - breath
        > - courage
        > - ghost
        > - the B2 stealth bomber
        > - the MER-A mars rover
        > - the asteroid 37452
        > - an album by the band "Spirit", also an album by
        > Jewel, another one by Eluveitie
        > - a song by Faith No More

        And one by John Denver; I wish I were advanced enough
        in dressage to be able to ride a routine to that one.

        'His spirit joined and so was formed
        Ten thousand years ago
        Between the Swan and Hercules
        Where even dark clouds glow.
        To live with Grace, to ride the swell
        To yet be strong of Will
        To love the Wind, to learn her song
        And empty space to fill'

        > - a character from G.I.Joe, another character from
        > She-Ra, another on from Ă–ban Star Racers

        And of course Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmeron.
        (I _did_ say I was in serious horse withdrawal, did I
        not? *3 weeks* without a ride!!!)

        > - alcohol, or...an alcoholic solution of a (medical)
        > drug
        > - enthusiasm
        > - intent, purpose
        > Yup, and also 'soul'. Plus a part of the Holy
        > Trinity. Almost forgot this one :-)

        Debbi
        Heretic Lutheran Gaian Deist Maru ;)
        "And Allah took a handful of South Wind, saying, 'I
        will of thee a creature: condense thyself!"