RE: "Someone Must Tell Them"

  • Ritu
    Message 1 of 185 , Sep 30, 2006
      Robert G. Seeberger

      > On 9/27/2006 2:01:04 PM, Richard Baker (rich@...) wrote:

      > > One of the most striking things about the July 7 attacks was how
      > > utterly unterrified we all were. I know people who were
      > very close to
      > > the bombing attacks and their response was uniformly calm and
      > > practical. In fact, those attacks seemed to cause more anxiety and
      > > fear on the other side of the Atlantic than they did here.
      >
      > I don't know how it may appear from over there, but on 9/11 I was
      > angry. Heck I was angry on July 7 and after Madrid and Bali
      > too. I think the only times I felt much in the way of fear
      > was in regard to
      > the Anthrax cases and the sniper case, those things just seemed more
      > likely to grow where it could harm people I knew and cared
      > about. I don't think I actually can remember anyone who was
      > frightened, but I
      > do remember lots of folks who were royally pissed off.

      You, of course, are the best judge of your reactions and emotions, but
      it is also a fact that fear often manifests itself as anger.

      > Perhaps it was different in other parts of the country, but even if
      > Americans do not uniformly project calm I would suggest that the fear
      > that was sensed was coming from the administration and the news
      > media's attempts to whip up a frenzy of ad sales.

      The administration certainly worked on selling the fear, the media
      definitely bought into it, but so did the citizens. At least that is how
      it appears from here. The massive support for the Iraq war, the frequent
      invocation of the mushroom cloud during arguments and debates in the
      run-up to the same war, all such things strongly suggested fear.

      Ritu

      Message 185 of 185 , Dec 22, 2006
        Thing is, some of the points I was going to make have already been made...but I'll definitely follow this thread closely from now on...

        Damon.
        Damon Agretto
        dcaa@...
        "Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
        http://www.geocities.com/garrand.geo/index.html
        Now Building: Trumpeter's Marder I auf GW 38(h)
        Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.
        Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.