Re: Prehistory

    Message 1 of 476 , Jul 31 8:00 PM
      On 01/08/2006, at 8:45 AM, Brother John wrote:

      > As a child that raised white mice and rats as much as I did snakes,
      > I can attest that white rats are much, much better pets than white
      > mice. Mice bite and their urine stinks something awful. Neither is
      > true of white rats. Rats actually make very nice pets, much better
      > pets than hamsters of gerbils. Of course, that is just my person
      > opinion. But it is based on personal experience.

      At last, some common ground. (Of course, you were probably raising
      rodents to feed to snakes, but I'll forgive you...).

      I never had white rats, I had a pair of dark chocolate brown rats
      with white bellies. The breed is "Black Berkshire", and they were
      _Rattus norvegicus_, or the Common Brown or Norway Rat (the most
      common pet rat, although a few people do breed Black Rats (_Rattus
      rattus_).

      Rats are *great* pets. Really social, and really smart.

      Charlie
      Message 476 of 476 , Feb 2, 2011
        The Brin-L weekly chat has been a list tradition for over twelve
        years. Way back on 27 May, 1998, Marco Maisenhelder first set
        up a chatroom for the list, and on the next day, he established
        a weekly chat time. We've been through several servers, chat
        technologies, and even casts of regulars over the years, but
        the chat goes on... and we want more recruits!

        Whether you're an active poster or a lurker, whether you've
        been a member of the list from the beginning or just joined
        today, we would really like for you to join us. We have less
        politics, more Uplift talk, and more light-hearted discussion.
        We're non-fattening and 100% environmentally friendly...
        -----(_() Though sometimes marshmallows do get thrown.

        The Weekly Brin-L chat is scheduled for Wednesday 3 PM
        Eastern/2 PM Central time in the US, or 7 PM Greenwich time.
        There's usually somebody there to talk to for at least eight
        hours after the start time. If no-one is there when you arrive
        just wait around a while for the next person to show up!

        If you want to attend, it's really easy now. All you have to
        do is send your web browser to:

        http://wtgab.demon.co.uk/brinl/chat/

        ..And you can connect directly from the NEW new web
        interface on the NEW server!

        --
        William T Goodall
        Mail : me@...

        "This message was sent automatically using cron. But even if WTG
        is away on holiday, at least it shows the server is still up."