Re: When BatLeths Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have BatLeths

  • Matt Grimaldi
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 1, 2006
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Ronn!Blankenship <ronn_blankenship@...>
      At 09:04 PM Tuesday 5/30/2006, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >David Hobby wrote:
      >>Julia Thompson wrote:

      >>>If you hold it right (and CAN hold it right, it takes practice!),
      >>>you can get a little reach out of it. I could hurt someone at 3'
      >>>easily enough IF I were in good practice with it. Which I'm not,
      >>>and which is very low on my priority list at the moment. (I think
      >>>it's lower on my list than firespinning, which is fairly low.)
      >>Julia--
      >>Sure, 3 feet (90 cm) I believe. But how much does
      >>it weigh? If I just had a normal 3 foot sword, I'd
      >>be faster, and speed does matter...
      >> ---David
      >>Considering wearing a metal gauntlet, so I can grab
      >>one (sharp) end, and increase the reach.
      >
      >Oh, it's pretty darned heavy, even made out of aircraft aluminum.
      >
      >I could do a lot better just picking up a sword at random than
      >picking it up. But I could inflict some pretty serious pain from
      >about a foot closer than my farthest sword distance IF I were in practice. IF.

      ]How would you rate your chances with a regular sword versus someone
      ]with a batleth who was in practice with it? Or, IOW, is a batleth in
      ]the right hands likely to be superior or inferior to a garden-variety
      ]pig-sticker which may be easier to obtain and learn to use?
      ]
      ]
      ]--Ronn! :)

      A skilled fighter using a crappy weapon vs. a novice using a good one
      would probably win, assuming the differences between their weapons
      was not too great. (A revolver, for example, is too good a weapon for
      the skilled fighter to reliably overcome). This assumes some kind of
      one-on-one combat, however. If this is some kind of mass battle,
      much of one's survival depends on not being in the wrong place at
      the wrong time. The batleth is close enough, being in the same class
      of weapons, that a big difference in skill would be the deciding factor.

      I'd like to add some more to David's analysis:

      First, we have to assume that the sword and batleth are constructed
      of similar material and are sharpened to equivalent edges and points.

      The biggest difference is that sword has a single handle at one end,
      with its point at the other, and an edge along some or all of the blade,
      and some kind of guard to protect the user's hand from other blade
      weapons sliding along the sword to its hilt. It is a one-handed weapon,
      unless you get a really long and/or heavy sword, at which point it requires
      two hands to be effective.

      The batleth has 3 handles on one side of the weapon, in the center and
      about 1/3 the length to either side of center. It has 2 points on either end,
      and an edge between/around the points. It is a two-handed.

      The sword can reach farther (all of its length is used to add to its users
      reach) with its point and edge than the batleth can, and be more
      comfortable to the user while doing so. Also, having the off-hand free
      means that he user can hold a shield or knife for defense (the knife
      should have a hand-guard and can parry thrusted blades) or
      another sword if he wants to be particularly flashy, but that requires
      considerable training to be effective.

      The Batleth cannot reach very far (slightly farther than a big knife) when
      used two-handed, and seems a bit awkward to be used one-handed.
      But it can defend well against some attacks, as the blade is curved
      and the user can use both arms and even set his entire body to resist the force
      of a swung attack. Against thrusting attacks, it is less useful, as it has to engage
      the thrust blade early enough to parry. The curved, double points can be used
      to catch other weapons or even polearms, however, and then twisted in such a
      way to to possibly break and/or bend light-weight weapons. In close combat,
      this weapon has some potential that swords lack, but at that point it has to be
      compared to knives, which are much smaller and lighter.

      -- Matt

      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 8, 2006
        I was corrected sometime ago; the correct spelling is pollaxe, not poleaxe. Just clearing things up.

        Damon.
        Damon Agretto
        dcaa@...
        "Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
        http://www.geocities.com/garrand.geo/index.html
        Now Building: Trumpeter's Marder I auf GW 38(h)
        Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.