Re: Brain fart

    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2006
      At 09:52 AM Tuesday 5/30/2006, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >Charlie Bell wrote:
      >>On 30/05/2006, at 4:11 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >>>
      >>>The really funny one was someone wandering
      >>>around before noon one day with vodka and
      >>>celery in his cup, trying to find some bloody
      >>>mary mix, and not finding it anywhere.
      >>"bloody mary mix"? You mean tomato juice? ;)
      >
      >Yep. Or you can actually buy stuff labeled
      >"Bloody Mary Mix" that has a little bit more
      >added to the tomato juice. (Not sure what, but
      >it's on the aisle with the mixers and costs more
      >than the straight tomato juice you get on the aisle with vegetable juices.)

      V-8™ juice with Tabasco™ and Worchestershire
      sauces, lemon and lime juice, salt & pepper, onion and garlic added, perhaps?

      (Not that I have any idea. That's just what I
      dump into V-8 juice when said additives are
      available. Had to settle for orange juice this AM, though . . . )

      --Ronn! :)

      "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
      added to our country and two words have been
      added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
      GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
      is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
      -- Red Skelton

      (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2006
        Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        > At 10:49 AM Tuesday 5/30/2006, Julia Thompson wrote:
        >> Charlie Bell wrote:

        >>> I know, I was just being me. Avoid being ripped off by using
        >>> tomato juice, a dash of worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins is
        >>> best), a drop of Tabasco, and a little freshly ground black
        >>> pepper. And plenty of vodka. ;)
        >>
        >> I can't handle the Worcestershire, myself (and I know that Lea &
        >> Perrins is the best brand to buy for the consumption of those who
        >> can, including my husband and my mother-in-law), but I could have
        >> given him pepper (brought a little grinder)
        >

        > A "real" one or one of those you buy pre-filled in the spice section
        > of the grocery store? (Not that I'm knocking the latter, as I have
        > one each of those filled with salt, black pepper, and "peppercorn
        > medley" sitting on the kitchen table to use instead of the common S&P
        > shakers. But it would make a much better story if you were hauling
        > around one of those wooden things that a waiter in a fine restaurant
        > might bring by your table. Not that I know what it's like to eat in
        > a fine restaurant, either . . .)

        Mini Pepper Ball. Bought at the grocery store pre-loaded, but not on
        the spice aisle. I don't like the big wooden things; the Pepper Ball is
        easier for me to use.

        And I wouldn't call some of the places they've done that for Dan all
        that "fine". Well, maybe the Cheesecake Factory could be considered
        "fine" by some stretch, but that's about as far as I get to go these days.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2006
          At 08:21 AM Wednesday 5/31/2006, Julia Thompson wrote:
          >Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          >>>I can't handle the Worcestershire, myself (and I know that Lea &
          >>>Perrins is the best brand to buy for the consumption of those who
          >>>can, including my husband and my mother-in-law), but I could have
          >>>given him pepper (brought a little grinder)
          >>
          >>A "real" one or one of those you buy pre-filled in the spice section
          >>of the grocery store? (Not that I'm knocking the latter, as I have
          >>one each of those filled with salt, black pepper, and "peppercorn
          >>medley" sitting on the kitchen table to use instead of the common S&P
          >>shakers. But it would make a much better story if you were hauling
          >>around one of those wooden things that a waiter in a fine restaurant
          >>might bring by your table. Not that I know what it's like to eat in
          >>a fine restaurant, either . . .)
          >
          >Mini Pepper Ball. Bought at the grocery store pre-loaded, but not
          >on the spice aisle. I don't like the big wooden things; the Pepper
          >Ball is easier for me to use.

          I have a couple of mostly plastic ones somewhere around here that I
          picked up in Utah or Colorado which you squeeze rather than twist to
          activate the grinding action.

          >And I wouldn't call some of the places they've done that for Dan all
          >that "fine". Well, maybe the Cheesecake Factory could be considered
          >"fine" by some stretch, but that's about as far as I get to go these days.

          I seldom get even that far.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 31, 2006
            Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
            > At 08:21 AM Wednesday 5/31/2006, Julia Thompson wrote:
            >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

            >>> A "real" one or one of those you buy pre-filled in the spice section
            >>> of the grocery store? (Not that I'm knocking the latter, as I have
            >>> one each of those filled with salt, black pepper, and "peppercorn
            >>> medley" sitting on the kitchen table to use instead of the common S&P
            >>> shakers. But it would make a much better story if you were hauling
            >>> around one of those wooden things that a waiter in a fine restaurant
            >>> might bring by your table. Not that I know what it's like to eat in
            >>> a fine restaurant, either . . .)
            >>
            >> Mini Pepper Ball. Bought at the grocery store pre-loaded, but not on
            >> the spice aisle. I don't like the big wooden things; the Pepper Ball
            >> is easier for me to use.
            >

            > I have a couple of mostly plastic ones somewhere around here that I
            > picked up in Utah or Colorado which you squeeze rather than twist to
            > activate the grinding action.

            That's what the Pepper Ball is. It's a lot easier, IMO. And nicely
            refillable. (The only problem I've ever had with one was not being sure
            I had it totally clean after Dan dropped it in the marinade he was
            making that time. I replaced that one.)

            >> And I wouldn't call some of the places they've done that for Dan all
            >> that "fine". Well, maybe the Cheesecake Factory could be considered
            >> "fine" by some stretch, but that's about as far as I get to go these
            >> days.
            >

            > I seldom get even that far.

            Ah. Before I got to go to the Cheesecake Factory in April, the "finest"
            I ever got was the Olive Garden. (And a lot of the time we just do
            takeout from there, so it doesn't exactly work out to "fine" dining. Or
            the sort of situation where there's a waiter to pepper the salad.)