Re: Offensive Colloquialisms

  • Xponent
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
      From: "Dave Land" <dland@...>
      To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:19 PM
      Subject: Offensive Colloquialisms

      > Howdy,
      >
      > In my last post, I almost wrote that God could "keep Her cotton-pickin'
      > hands" off my child, but went with the intentionally-misspelled
      > "god-done hands" instead, because it suddenly occurred to me that the
      > colloquialism "cotton-pickin'" is probably racist.

      Not really!
      Remember that sharecroppers were pikkin cotton too!

      When you pick cotton, the cotton fibers cut your fingers and make them
      bleed.
      This would immediately identify you to anyone as a bottom rung worker.
      It would also stereotype you as a low class type that might also be a thief.

      The term "cotton picking hands" actually refers to someone who is not
      trustworthy enough to be touching *my* stuff.

      > I'm sure the everyone here will claim that they've always known that and
      > what the hell is wrong with me, but...

      Duh! Duh! Duh!
      </Blatant Carlos Mencia Reference>
      <G>

      > What other "colorful, home-spun, innocent"-seeming colloquialisms (man,
      > that's hard to type) do you suppose we use that are actually offensive?

      Good question!
      I know there are a few "Geeks" in here, so I would start there with the
      epithets.
      >From there you find such as Dutch courage and Dutch treat and even Yankee.
      (Yankee was originally Jack Cheese, an epithet against the cheese eating
      Dutch of New York that somehow got turned around and applied to the English
      descendents)
      I myself find the term "Ebonics" minorly offensive, even considering its
      source.

      xponent
      Wordless Bastard Maru