I'm starting to dislike my domain name

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006
      The weirdest things can happen on the Internet... A couple of months ago,
      while I was in North Carolina, I got a phone call from a sheriff somewhere
      in Georgia, investigating fraud. He said that somebody had charged
      something on my web site... but he'd just looked at my site and couldn't see
      where there's anything for sale there. And there isn't. This had me
      puzzled and worried for a while. Eventually, when I called him back to say
      I just couldn't imagine how this could have happened, he apologized and said
      it was a mistake by the credit card company. Apparently there is a standard
      form for investigating fraud, in which the abbreviation for "Merchant Credit
      Card" appears just to the left of the domain name involved. And thus, on
      this form appears this "MCC Media.com" when the suspect web site happens to
      be "media.com"."

      I just got a call from a very concerned (and very fast-talking) mother,
      whose college student daughter used her credit card on-line, resulting in a
      charge to media.com. But somebody at the credit card company misread the
      information and gave her my phone number as the owner of the site. I'm
      wondering how often *this* is going to happen. Sadly, media.com seems to be
      one of the more, well, stupid, sites on the web.

      Nick Arnett
      narnett@...
      Messages: 408-904-7198