Re: Hello (hello, hello)

  • Bemmzim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 231 , Mar 7 2:35 PM
      In a message dated 3/6/2006 6:05:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, julia@...
      writes:

      > go ahead and ask you now. What do you think about minicolumns?
      >
      > I read something about them that cited
      > http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/bhj134?ijkey=WZG8KUzGqERqQub&
      > keytype=ref
      > http://tinyurl.com/pdxv3 if that link broke
      >
      > and in the comments of the thing I read someone indicated that it's a
      > controversial theory. I figure you know a lot more about brain
      > structure than I do, so you'd be a reasonable person to ask.

      wow! I am impresed that you got to such a hard core science paper. The notion
      that the cortex develops in columns is not as far as I know controversial.
      The germinal matrix is the embryologic structure where neuronal precursors are
      produced. These migrate to the surface of the brain along a scapholding made up
      of other cells called radial astrocytes. The two major cell types in the
      brain are neurons (the nerve cells that carry out the computational functions
      (that is, the important stuff) and glial cells that provide other functions to the
      brain in terms of maintaining the necessary chemical environment, forming the
      linings of the brain, providing nurishment to the white matter, acting as the
      immune cells of the brain etc. Astrocytes are the most common of these glial
      cells. In the developing brain beginning in the second trimester. These glial
      cells migrate away from the central cavities of the brain. The neurons then
      grow out along the radial glial cells to reach their appropriate position. If
      this process is disrupted or disorganized abnormalities of cortical formation
      occur. When this process is focal clefts are produced in the brain extending
      from the central cavities (the ventricles) to the surface of the brain. These
      clefts are called schizencephaly. If the radial glial cells fail to migrate at
      all or if the neurons migrate incorrectly. The cortex will be thickened
      disorganized. The brain will not form normal gyri (the folds of the brain). The
      extreme example of this is lisencephaly, litterly a smooth ungyrated brain. Not a
      good thing.

      Not sure if this is what you wanted me to talk about. In what context did
      this come up?
    • Russell Chapman
      Message 231 of 231 , Apr 28, 2006
        Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

        > <<http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/25/worst.songs/index.html>>
        >
        > Howcum no one here came up with #4?

        Yep - truly nauseating - but the wierd thing is that all these songs
        were incredibly popular at the time. They are nearly all top 10 hits,
        many of them held number one for weeks.
        (As opposed to the VH1 listing, more than half of which I'd never heard
        of).
        What WERE these people thinking when they bought these records?

        Cheers
        Russell C.

        This email (including any attachments) is confidential
        and copyright. The School makes no warranty about the
        content of this email. Unless expressly stated, this
        email does not bind the School and does not necessarily
        constitute the opinion of the School.

        If you have received this email in error, please delete
        it and notify the sender.