Re: JDG the Prophet of Terror [was: Hello]

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Alberto Monteiro wrote:
      > Julia Thompson wrote:
      >
      >>Actually, JDG is capable of carrying on a conversation that doesn't
      >>involve politics or religion, and can be an entertaining dining
      >>companion. Leastways, that's my experience (2 occasions).
      >>

      > DON'T DO THAT!!! IT'S DANGEROUS!!!
      >
      > When we had a casual conversation with him here in Rio de Janeiro,
      > in July 2005, he casually mentioned that the next hurricane to strike
      > New Orleans would destroy the city, and that some people thought
      > that reconstruction would be too expensive and the better was to
      > Format & Reinstall.
      >
      > So, people, now you all know the truth: JDG summoned Katrina
      > with his Evil spells, just to prove he was right!
      >
      > Alberto Monteiro

      Well, he didn't make any alarming predictions to me either time. :)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        Alberto Monteiro wrote:

        > Julia Thompson wrote:
        >
        >> Actually, JDG is capable of carrying on a conversation that doesn't
        >> involve politics or religion, and can be an entertaining dining
        >> companion. Leastways, that's my experience (2 occasions).
        >
        > DON'T DO THAT!!! IT'S DANGEROUS!!!
        >
        > When we had a casual conversation with him here in Rio de Janeiro,
        > in July 2005, he casually mentioned that the next hurricane to strike
        > New Orleans would destroy the city, and that some people thought
        > that reconstruction would be too expensive and the better was to
        > Format & Reinstall.
        >
        > So, people, now you all know the truth: JDG summoned Katrina
        > with his Evil spells, just to prove he was right!

        Don't we have some sort of understanding on this list that we won't
        cast aspersions upon our listmates, especially in their absence?

        I've wondered what happened to these two of our erstwhile "alpha
        mails" of late, too. I don't have to agree with them to hope that
        they're OK. Things have been fairly quiet from brother Goodall, as
        well. Maybe he joined a monastery :-).

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          On 1 Mar 2006, at 5:10 pm, Dave Land wrote:

          > Things have been fairly quiet from brother Goodall, as
          > well. Maybe he joined a monastery :-).

          Nothing has aroused my ire sufficiently lately :)

          I would say that last week's _Battlestar Galactica_ was exceptionally
          excellent and it looks like S2 is going to end on a high after a
          dodgy patch of episodes recently.

          And I'm reading Dan Simmons _A Winter Haunting_ which is a sequel to
          _Summer of Night_ (1991). The protagonist has unclear memories of
          what happened in the previous novel - and so do I since I read it so
          long ago, so I'm half-remembering what he half-remembers which is
          interesting.

          And I got a new camera (Canon PowerShot S80) so I've been playing
          with that.

          --
          William T Goodall
          Mail : wtg@...

          How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door
          you're on.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            > >> Actually, JDG is capable of carrying on a conversation that doesn't
            > >> involve politics or religion, and can be an entertaining dining
            > >> companion. Leastways, that's my experience (2 occasions).
            > >
            > > DON'T DO THAT!!! IT'S DANGEROUS!!!
            > >
            > > When we had a casual conversation with him here in Rio de Janeiro,
            > > in July 2005, he casually mentioned that the next hurricane to strike
            > > New Orleans would destroy the city, and that some people thought
            > > that reconstruction would be too expensive and the better was to
            > > Format & Reinstall.
            > >
            > > So, people, now you all know the truth: JDG summoned Katrina
            > > with his Evil spells, just to prove he was right!
            >
            > Don't we have some sort of understanding on this list that we won't
            > cast aspersions upon our listmates, especially in their absence?

            Not if it is done this way by Alberto. I would take it as a point of honor
            if he thought that I used my evil spells to prove myself right. At the
            very least, he would be admitting that I was right. :-)

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
              William T Goodall wrote:

              > On 1 Mar 2006, at 5:10 pm, Dave Land wrote:
              >
              >> Things have been fairly quiet from brother Goodall, as
              >> well. Maybe he joined a monastery :-).
              >

              > Nothing has aroused my ire sufficiently lately :)
              >
              > I would say that last week's _Battlestar Galactica_ was exceptionally
              > excellent and it looks like S2 is going to end on a high after a dodgy
              > patch of episodes recently.

              Dan just got me watching them. I've gotten through the miniseries and
              the first 5 episodes of Season 1. I think we're going to do 3-5
              episodes a week until I'm caught up, although there may be a 2-week
              period in March when we're not watching much.

              That series is incredible, is all I have to say so far. If you haven't
              started watching it, you'd better have a darn good excuse! :)