Re: Hello

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 28, 2006
      Charlie Bell wrote:

      > On Mar 1, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Jo Anne wrote:
      >

      >> And yeah, this break from politics is very nice. Could someone
      >> email me a brief update as to what happened? Where did Guatum and
      >> JDG go?
      >

      > Someone discovered how to make anti-Gautam and JDGs out of household
      > waste and discarded office furniture?

      Actually, JDG is capable of carrying on a conversation that doesn't
      involve politics or religion, and can be an entertaining dining
      companion. Leastways, that's my experience (2 occasions).

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2006
        Julia Thompson wrote:

        > Actually, JDG is capable of carrying on a conversation that doesn't
        > involve politics or religion, and can be an entertaining dining
        > companion. Leastways, that's my experience (2 occasions).

        DON'T DO THAT!!! IT'S DANGEROUS!!!

        When we had a casual conversation with him here in Rio de Janeiro,
        in July 2005, he casually mentioned that the next hurricane to strike
        New Orleans would destroy the city, and that some people thought
        that reconstruction would be too expensive and the better was to
        Format & Reinstall.

        So, people, now you all know the truth: JDG summoned Katrina
        with his Evil spells, just to prove he was right!

        Message 3 of 28 , May 30, 2006
          Figured I'd start afresh.

          And a second line, just for the halibut.

          -Me

        • David Hobby
          Message 4 of 28 , May 30, 2006
            T. Wavis wrote:
            > Figured I'd start afresh.

            You certainly do seem to be a new member, Mr. Wavis!

            > And a second line, just for the halibut.
            >
            > -Me

            You do sound a bit like Elmer Fudd, though. : )

            ---David

          • T. Wavis
            Message 5 of 28 , May 30, 2006
              --- David Hobby <hobbyd@...> wrote:

              > You do sound a bit like Elmer Fudd, though.

              Which oddly enough was my nickname of sorts when I was
              a toddler with very little hair.

              -Me

              Message 6 of 28 , May 30, 2006
                At 09:29 AM Tuesday 5/30/2006, T. Wavis wrote:
                >Figured I'd start afresh.
                >
                >And a second line, just for the halibut.

                Greetings, Mr. Odatta. Are you visiting all the SF lists I am on this spring?

                --Ronn! :)

                "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
                and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
                GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
                would be eliminated from schools too?"
                -- Red Skelton

                (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

                Message 7 of 28 , May 31, 2006
                  --- Ronn!Blankenship <ronn_blankenship@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Greetings, Mr. Odatta. Are you visiting all the SF
                  > lists I am on this spring?

                  No. The extra "n" is already enough for me.

                  -Mee

                • Jon Gabriel
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 10, 2008
                    Just thought I'd poke my head in and say hello.
                    Have been skimming the archives in my perma-lurker email account for the
                    past few days. I'm happy to see that the list seems a lot less drama-prone
                    than it was three years ago. :)
                    So what's new with everyone?

                    Jon Gabriel
                  • xponentrob
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                      > Just thought I'd poke my head in and say hello.
                      > Have been skimming the archives in my perma-lurker email account for the
                      > past few days. I'm happy to see that the list seems a lot less
                      > drama-prone
                      > than it was three years ago. :)
                      > So what's new with everyone?

                      Since everyone seems to be afraid of you<G>, I start it off.
                      First, it is good to see you again Jon!
                      Not much has changed round here, but I am involved in protesting a criminal
                      cult that calls itself a religion.
                      Frequently.

                      xponent
                      I Hear You Like Mudkips Maru

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                        On 11 Jun 2008, at 23:10, xponentrob wrote:

                        > Not much has changed round here, but I am involved in protesting a
                        > criminal
                        > cult that calls itself a religion.
                        > Frequently.

                        You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)

                        Broad Church Maru

                        --
                        William T Goodall
                        Mail : wtg@...

                        "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
                        atrocities." ~Voltaire.

                      • Jon Gabriel
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                          On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM, xponentrob <xponentrob@...> wrote:

> [...]

                          Thanks! It's good to see you too!

                          *chuckles* Careful, the CoS might throw Chef and Vinnie Barbarino at you.

                          Jon

                          CSV Insert Greased Shaft Joke Here
                        • Jon Gabriel
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                            On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM, William T Goodall <wtg@...>
                            wrote:

                            > On 11 Jun 2008, at 23:10, xponentrob wrote:
                            >
                            > > Not much has changed round here, but I am involved in protesting a
                            > > criminal
                            > > cult that calls itself a religion.
                            > > Frequently.
                            >
                            > You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                            >
                            > Broad Church Maru
                            >
                            > --
                            > William T Goodall
                            > Mail : wtg@...
                            > Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk
                            > Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/
                            >
                            > "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
                            > atrocities." ~Voltaire.

                            Aaaaand, it's like I never left. :D

                            Good to see you, WTG.

                            Jon

                            An Apple A Day Keeps The Fundies Away Maru
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                              At 07:06 PM Wednesday 6/11/2008, William T Goodall wrote:

                              >You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)

                              Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                              is too small?

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                On 12 Jun 2008, at 01:25, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                                > At 07:06 PM Wednesday 6/11/2008, William T Goodall wrote:
                                >
                                >> You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                                >

                                > Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                > is too small?

                                Doesn't that depend on the aperture?

                                A priest a rabbi and an imam Maru

                                --
                                William T Goodall
                                Mail : wtg@...
                                Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk
                                Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

                                "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant
                                market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer

                              • David Hobby
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                  Jon Gabriel wrote:
                                  > Just thought I'd poke my head in and say hello.
                                  > Have been skimming the archives in my perma-lurker email account for the
                                  > past few days. I'm happy to see that the list seems a lot less drama-prone
                                  > than it was three years ago. :)
                                  > So what's new with everyone?

                                  Jon--

                                  Hi. Good to hear from you again.

                                  Was the drama three years ago? I
                                  thought it was further back.

                                  Something new that's happened? ...

                                  O.K., so today I was driving the Saturn that
                                  used to be my daughter's, until she got a newer
                                  car and it got in an accident. Anyway, one of
                                  the plastic rear quarter panels is half shattered,
                                  and covered with duct tape.

                                  This guy comes up to me in a store parking lot,
                                  gives me his card, and says that he can get a
                                  panel from his junkyard for $50, paint it to
                                  match and fix it cheap. (The car is an SL series,
                                  and the panels aren't for sale outside of junkyards
                                  and such. I'd expected to pay $80 to $100, but
                                  haven't got around to getting one yet.)

                                  He gives me his card, says to call and "ask for Mike",
                                  shakes my hand, and goes off to talk to the next
                                  car owner with minor body damage. So maybe he's
                                  just being resourceful in drumming up business in
                                  a poor economy?

                                  Except: The name on the card was "Louis", and the
                                  address given is in the middle of a residential
                                  area where there are definitely no body shops.

                                  So is he an honest gray-market operator? (Pays no
                                  taxes, but delivers.) Or would I never get the
                                  car back? Or would I get it back, with a quarter
                                  panel that he stole the night before off of someone
                                  else's Saturn?

                                  ---David

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                    On Jun 11, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                                    > At 07:06 PM Wednesday 6/11/2008, William T Goodall wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                                    >
                                    > Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                    > is too small?

                                    I get emails offering various products to "widen my scope" all the
                                    time. Now I know what they meant.

                                    Dave

                                    Increase the girth of your mortgage Maru
                                  • Jim Sharkey
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 12, 2008
                                      Jon Gabriel wrote:
                                      >William T Goodall wrote:
                                      >>xponentrob wrote:
                                      >>> Not much has changed round here, but I am involved in protesting
                                      >>>a criminal cult that calls itself a religion.
                                      >>You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                                      >Aaaaand, it's like I never left. :D

                                      I believe it's vital to have at least a few constants in one's life. :-)

                                      Jim
                                      No second line Maru

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 12, 2008
                                        On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, William T Goodall wrote:

                                        > On 12 Jun 2008, at 01:25, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> At 07:06 PM Wednesday 6/11/2008, William T Goodall wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                                        >>

                                        >> Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                        >> is too small?
                                        >>

                                        > Doesn't that depend on the aperture?
                                        >
                                        > A priest a rabbi and an imam Maru

                                        That Maru reminds me of a joke:

                                        3 mathematicians walk into a bar.

                                        A punchline exists.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 12, 2008
                                          At 12:24 AM Thursday 6/12/2008, Dave Land wrote:
                                          >On Jun 11, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > At 07:06 PM Wednesday 6/11/2008, William T Goodall wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > >> You just need to widen your scope a bit :-)
                                          > >
                                          > > Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                          > > is too small?
                                          >
                                          >I get emails offering various products to "widen my scope" all the
                                          >time. Now I know what they meant.

                                          I went from 6" to 10" a few years ago and it made me happy.

                                          . . . ronn! :)

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 12, 2008
                                            On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                                            > At 12:24 AM Thursday 6/12/2008, Dave Land wrote:

                                            >>> Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                            >>> is too small?
                                            >>
                                            >> I get emails offering various products to "widen my scope" all the
                                            >> time. Now I know what they meant.
                                            >

                                            > I went from 6" to 10" a few years ago and it made me happy.

                                            That sounds fine with a *telescope*.

                                            Some other things, well, there is such a thing as *too* big. Like,
                                            getting a Really Big Massive cup of soda at a fast food place that won't
                                            fit in the cupholder in your car.

                                          • Jon Gabriel
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 13, 2008
                                              On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Ronn! Blankenship <
                                              ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:

                                              > At 12:24 AM Thursday 6/12/2008, Dave Land wrote:

                                              > > > Is that like when a female astronomer tells you that your telescope
                                              > > > is too small?
                                              > >
                                              > >I get emails offering various products to "widen my scope" all the
                                              > >time. Now I know what they meant.
                                              >

                                              > I went from 6" to 10" a few years ago and it made me happy.
                                              >

                                              > . . . ronn! :)

                                              Wide? :)

                                              Perhaps I Don't Really Want To Know Maru
                                            • David Hobby
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 13, 2008
                                                Jon Gabriel wrote:
                                                > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Ronn! Blankenship <
                                                > ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:
                                                >> I went from 6" to 10" a few years ago and it made me happy.
                                                >>

                                                >> . . . ronn! :)
                                                >>

                                                > Wide? :)

                                                Actually, the word is "aperture".

                                                > Perhaps I Don't Really Want To Know Maru

                                                And now even more so. : )

                                                ---David