Sciencey

  • Robert G. Seeberger
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
      >From Eschaton:

      After sending a bunch of 24 year olds from the Heritage foundation to
      help fuck up Iraq, the Bush administration has given 24 year old
      campaign interns the authority to tell scientists what science is.

      A week after NASA's top climate scientist complained that the space
      agency's public-affairs office was trying to silence his statements on
      global warming, the agency's administrator, Michael D. Griffin, issued
      a sharply worded statement yesterday calling for "scientific openness"
      throughout the agency.

      "It is not the job of public-affairs officers," Dr. Griffin wrote in
      an e-mail message to the agency's 19,000 employees, "to alter, filter
      or adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's
      technical staff."

      The statement came six days after The New York Times quoted the
      scientist, James E. Hansen, as saying he was threatened with "dire
      consequences" if he continued to call for prompt action to limit
      emissions of heat-trapping gases linked to global warming. He and
      intermediaries in the agency's 350-member public-affairs staff said
      the warnings came from White House appointees in NASA headquarters.

      The Big Bang memo came from Mr. Deutsch, a 24-year-old presidential
      appointee in the press office at NASA headquarters whose r�sum� says
      he was an intern in the "war room" of the 2004 Bush-Cheney re-election
      campaign. A 2003 journalism graduate of Texas A&M, he was also the
      public-affairs officer who sought more control over Dr. Hansen's
      public statements.

      In October 2005, Mr. Deutsch sent an e-mail message to Flint Wild, a
      NASA contractor working on a set of Web presentations about Einstein
      for middle-school students. The message said the word "theory" needed
      to be added after every mention of the Big Bang.

      The Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion," Mr. Deutsch wrote,
      adding, "It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a
      declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that
      discounts intelligent design by a creator."

      It continued: "This is more than a science issue, it is a religious
      issue. And I would hate to think that young people would only be
      getting one-half of this debate from NASA. That would mean we had
      failed to properly educate the very people who rely on us for factual
      information the most."

      Mr. Wild declined to be interviewed; Mr. Deutsch did not respond to
      e-mail or phone messages. On Friday evening, repeated queries were
      made to the White House about how a young presidential appointee with
      no science background came to be supervising Web presentations on
      cosmology and interview requests to senior NASA scientists.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/science/04climate.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

      xponent
      Truthiness Actionly Maru

    • Deborah Harrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2006
        > "Robert G. Seeberger" <rceeberger@...>
        wrote:

        <snip>
        > ... A week after NASA's top climate scientist
        > complained that the space
        > agency's public-affairs office was trying to silence
        > his statements on
        > global warming, the agency's administrator, Michael
        > D. Griffin, issued
        > a sharply worded statement yesterday calling for
        > "scientific openness" throughout the agency.
        >
        > "It is not the job of public-affairs officers,"
        > Dr. Griffin wrote in
        > an e-mail message to the agency's 19,000 employees,
        > "to alter, filter
        > or adjust engineering or scientific material
        > produced by NASA's technical staff..."

        > ...The Big Bang memo came from Mr. Deutsch, a
        > 24-year-old presidential
        > appointee in the press office at NASA headquarters
        > whose résumé says
        > he was an intern in the "war room" of the 2004
        > Bush-Cheney re-election
        > campaign. A 2003 journalism graduate of Texas A&M,
        > he was also the
        > public-affairs officer who sought more control over
        > Dr. Hansen's public statements...

        http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/science/04climate.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

        More on Truth In Science - Revised, Or Revealed:

        http://www.pfoa-facts.com/
        Welcome to www.PFOA-facts.com, a resource for
        information about the industrial chemical known as
        perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).

        The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. (SPI) has
        created this web site to address questions you may
        have about PFOA and the products made with it. We
        invite you to explore the site and its resources...

        ...Fluoropolymers have many important uses in defense
        and national security, telecommunications,
        electronics, computers and other high-tech areas.
        Because of their versatility and heat resistance, they
        also are used to make protective clothing and
        equipment for astronauts, the military and
        firefighters, as well as for consumers. In short, they
        have become integral to many key areas of the nation's
        economy, the safety and security of the public,
        reductions in air and water pollution and improvements
        in the quality of life...

        ...The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has
        been engaged in an investigation of the health and
        environmental effects of PFOA. As part of that effort,
        EPA has prepared a draft risk assessment. The results
        of the EPA risk assessment released January 12, 2005
        (available at www.epa.gov/opptintr/pfoa/pfoarisk.htm)
        provides added assurance to the public regarding the
        safety of PFOA. The risk assessment used a margin of
        exposure (MOE) approach, sometimes referred to as a
        margin of safety. Under this methodology, higher MOE
        values represent lower levels of risk. The values in
        EPA's report - ranging from 398 to greater than 10,000
        - represent substantial protection of the general
        population...

        ...The principal fluoropolymer producers have each
        committed to a minimum 50-percent reduction in total
        global emissions by 2006 (using 2000 as the baseline
        year)...

        But this month:
        http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/07/earlyshow/health/health_news/main1289747.shtml?CMP=OTC-RSSFeed&source=RSS&attr=SciTech_1289747

        There is new cause for concern over the chemical used
        to make Teflon and other stain resistant products. The
        chemical, known as PFOA, is already found in the blood
        of most Americans. Now, CBS News correspondent Sharyl
        Attkisson reported on The Early Show, scientists are
        studying whether it is harming newborn babies.

        Now, new research from Johns Hopkins Hospital has
        found that PFOA is showing up in the umbilical cord
        blood of 99 percent of newborn babies tested over five
        months. Researchers want to know if the chemical is
        harming the newborns, who may be more vulnerable...

        No one knows exactly how the chemical gets into the
        bloodstream, but Sue Bailey believes PFOA is why her
        son has severe facial defects. He was born in the
        1980s, when she worked around PFOA chemicals at Dupont
        and she remembers a Dupont doctor calling her shortly
        after the birth.

        "He was asking all these questions, wanting to know
        what the deformity was," Bailey told Attkisson. "I
        asked him why he needed to know that and he told me
        that any time there was a birth defect or a deformity
        they had to know all about it because it had to be
        reported. But they did not report it."

        The Environmental Protection Agency says Dupont ***sat
        on that information and other substantial risks to
        humans for 20 years, according to Attkisson. The
        company recently agreed to the largest EPA fine in
        history, $16.5 million...***
        (my emphasis)

        ...Dupont says there's no proof PFOA caused Bailey's
        defects or any other problems, but Attkisson says the
        claim gives added urgency to a recent announcement by
        the EPA that Dupont will slash most use of
        PFOA-related chemicals within four years and halt it
        altogether by 2015.

        Debbi
        Non-stick But Apparently Odd Affinity For Organic
        Information Molecules Maru

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2006
          > The chemical, known as PFOA, is already found in
          > the blood of most Americans.

          Ha! The Final Victory of Communism is Near! Fluor in
          the Water, now Fluor in the Blood!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2006
            On 2/4/06, Robert G. Seeberger <rceeberger@...> wrote:

            > The Big Bang memo came from Mr. Deutsch, a 24-year-old presidential
            > appointee in the press office at NASA headquarters whose résumé says
            > he was an intern in the "war room" of the 2004 Bush-Cheney re-election
            > campaign. A 2003 journalism graduate of Texas A&M, he was also the
            > public-affairs officer who sought more control over Dr. Hansen's
            > public statements.

            Mr. Deutsch found himself out of a job when it turned out that he fudged a
            bit on his resume. Apparently he didn't actually graduate from college.
            And nobody checked until now? Oops.

            Nick Arnett
            narnett@...
            Messages: 408-904-7198
          • The Fool
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2006
              From: Nick Arnett <narnett@...>

              On 2/4/06, Robert G. Seeberger <rceeberger@...> wrote:

              > The Big Bang memo came from Mr. Deutsch, a 24-year-old presidential
              > appointee in the press office at NASA headquarters whose r�sum� says
              > he was an intern in the "war room" of the 2004 Bush-Cheney
              re-election
              > campaign. A 2003 journalism graduate of Texas A&M, he was also the
              > public-affairs officer who sought more control over Dr. Hansen's
              > public statements.

              Mr. Deutsch found himself out of a job when it turned out that he
              fudged a
              bit on his resume. Apparently he didn't actually graduate from
              college.
              And nobody checked until now? Oops.

              ----

              He's a RepubliKlan. They dont value that book lernen knonscence and
              that dogless siense pro-pagan-da.