The Radioactive Boy Scout

  • Patrick Sweeney
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hi folks,
      I'm currently re-reading "The Radioactive Boy Scout" by Ken
      Silverstein. It's the true story of a teenager near Detroit who tried
      to build a breeder reactor in his back yard shed in the 1990s - the
      EPA eventually had to clean it up. It's an interesting read, though
      the author has a strong anti-nuclear stance. Anyone else read it?

      I originally read it along with "Bobby Fischer Goes to War" for an
      obsessed prodigy two-fer. :)

      Patrick Sweeney
      firefly.games@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
        Patrick Sweeney wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        > I'm currently re-reading "The Radioactive Boy Scout" by Ken
        > Silverstein. It's the true story of a teenager near Detroit who tried
        > to build a breeder reactor in his back yard shed in the 1990s - the
        > EPA eventually had to clean it up. It's an interesting read, though
        > the author has a strong anti-nuclear stance. Anyone else read it?

        I haven't read it, although I have read *about* it.

        > I originally read it along with "Bobby Fischer Goes to War" for an
        > obsessed prodigy two-fer. :)

        Now, that sounds like a book I might enjoy. Of course, I've already got
        plenty to keep me going for awhile. (You know, you really actually have
        more time to read when the twins are infants than when they're toddlers.
        Really.)

      • Patrick Sweeney
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
          I enjoyed "Bobby Fischer Goes to War." It focuses on the 1972 match
          with Boris Spassky in Iceland, of course, but also covers the careers
          & psychologies of the two chess masters, U.S.-Soviet relations, and a
          lot more. It skips analyzing the arcana of the chess matches except to
          explain a revealing blunder or pivotal moment, so it's accessible even
          to people with only a passing interest in chess. A great read.

          Here's the Amazon link:
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060510242/102-8102077-3649715?v=glance&n=283155

          Patrick Sweeney
          firefly.games@...