Ex-Marine Says Public Version of Saddam Capture Fiction

  • Robert G. Seeberger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      http://www.13wham.com/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=422B960A-26BA-4891-9E60-21C8818788D4

      http://tinyurl.com/3mfx3

      A former U.S. Marine who participated in capturing ousted Iraqi
      President Saddam Hussein said the public version of his capture was
      fabricated.

      Ex-Sgt. Nadim Abou Rabeh, of Lebanese descent, was quoted in the Saudi
      daily al-Medina Wednesday as saying Saddam was actually captured
      Friday, Dec. 12, 2003, and not the day after, as announced by the U.S.
      Army.

      "I was among the 20-man unit, including eight of Arab descent, who
      searched for Saddam for three days in the area of Dour near Tikrit,
      and we found him in a modest home in a small village and not in a hole
      as announced," Abou Rabeh said.

      "We captured him after fierce resistance during which a Marine of
      Sudanese origin was killed," he said.

      He said Saddam himself fired at them with a gun from the window of a
      room on the second floor. Then they shouted at him in Arabic: "You
      have to surrender. ... There is no point in resisting."

      "Later on, a military production team fabricated the film of Saddam's
      capture in a hole, which was in fact a deserted well," Abou Rabeh
      said.

      Abou Rabeh was interviewed in Lebanon.

      xponent

      Ehhhhhh? Maru