Words & phrases that should be banished.

  • Gary Nunn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      I can think of a couple of words and phrases that should be "banished" from
      the English language:

      "Ripped From The Headlines" - Should read: Plot Stolen From The Headlines.
      Can't TV writers come up with their own unique story ideas?

      "My bad" - This is just bad grammar and silly slang. I cringe when I hear
      educated adults say this.

      "Intelligent Design" - Let's call it what it is instead of sugar coating it.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        At 01:28 PM Sunday 1/1/2006, Gary Nunn wrote:

        >Can't TV writers come up with their own unique story ideas?

        That is a rhetorical question, isn't it?

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
        and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
        would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

        (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
          Gary Nunn wrote:

          > "My bad" - This is just bad grammar and silly slang. I cringe when I hear
          > educated adults say this.

          That's interesting. Here in Brazil a new silly slang is uttering "Menos"
          [meaning both "less" and "mathematical minus", former meaning
          usually intended] when someone latches on a furious attack against
          something. It would be a call for moderation, except that what we
          _always_ need here is radicalization. See what happens in Venezuela,
          Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia, where everything is much more
          radical and bloodier.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
            On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

            > Gary Nunn wrote:
            >>
            >> "My bad" - This is just bad grammar and silly slang. I cringe when
            >> I hear
            >> educated adults say this.

            I was happy as heck to see the phrase "Cowboy up" go. I have no idea
            where it originated (nor any interest in learning), but was pleased
            that it was less than a flash in the pan.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
              Dave Land wrote:
              > On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
              >
              >> Gary Nunn wrote:
              >>

              >>> "My bad" - This is just bad grammar and silly slang. I cringe when I
              >>> hear
              >>> educated adults say this.
              >

              > I was happy as heck to see the phrase "Cowboy up" go. I have no idea
              > where it originated (nor any interest in learning), but was pleased
              > that it was less than a flash in the pan.

              I totally missed that one. Just as happy I did.

              I really hated "good to go" when I first was hearing it, but it doesn't
              irritate me so much now. (When your first exposure is someone who is
              saying it 10-20 times A DAY in your presence, most of them when you're
              the only one around to hear, it gets old very quickly.)

              For "my bad" I much prefer "my fault". Grammatically, it's a much
              better construction.

              I'm hearing "uh-oh" and "whoops" a lot now. :) But I can live with that.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                On Jan 2, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:

                > Dave Land wrote:

                >> I was happy as heck to see the phrase "Cowboy up" go. I have no
                >> idea where it originated (nor any interest in learning), but was
                >> pleased that it was less than a flash in the pan.
                >
                > I totally missed that one. Just as happy I did.
                >
                > I really hated "good to go" when I first was hearing it, but it
                > doesn't irritate me so much now. (When your first exposure is
                > someone who is saying it 10-20 times A DAY in your presence, most
                > of them when you're the only one around to hear, it gets old very
                > quickly.)

                That's exactly what makes these expressions worth getting rid of...
                the mindless repetition. "I hearrrrd THAT!" was one that my little
                brother got hooked on for a while. I had a co-worker for whom
                everything happened "from the get-go", an expression I learned to
                hate about the second time I heard it.

                And I expect to continue to dislike such expressions "on a going-
                forward basis."

              • Ritu
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Dave Land wrote:

                  > That's exactly what makes these expressions worth getting rid of...
                  > the mindless repetition. "I hearrrrd THAT!" was one that my little
                  > brother got hooked on for a while. I had a co-worker for whom
                  > everything happened "from the get-go", an expression I learned to
                  > hate about the second time I heard it.

                  For an entire year, I had a Chemistry teacher who insisted that he'd
                  make us 'born intelligent' if we only paid attention in class...

                  Ritu

                • Robert Seeberger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                    > That's exactly what makes these expressions worth getting rid of...
                    > the mindless repetition. "I hearrrrd THAT!" was one that my little
                    > brother got hooked on for a while. I had a co-worker for whom
                    > everything happened "from the get-go", an expression I learned to
                    > hate about the second time I heard it.
                    >
                    > And I expect to continue to dislike such expressions "on a going-
                    > forward basis."

                    Heh! "From the get-go" is an ancient phrase here, at least 40 years
                    old if not much much older.
                    During the 80s I used to hear "I know *that's* right" (meaning "I
                    agree") with stomach turning frequency.
                    One of my current unfavorites is "Bling" or "Bling Bling".
                    You would think that if one were to make up a word, that is could
                    sound like a word.
                    "Truthiness" for example.<G>

                    xponent
                    Truth Inclusions Maru