Re: LSSU 2006 List of Banished Words

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      From: "Gary Nunn" <garynunn@...>
      To: "'Killer Bs Discussion'" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:53 AM
      Subject: LSSU 2006 List of Banished Words

      > I ran across this on some obscure news page, and then after reading
      > it, also
      > saw it on ABCnews.com. You have to visit the webpage and read the
      > short
      > description to appreciate why some of these made it to the banished
      > list.
      >

      >>From the Banished Words history page...
      > In order to gain the most media coverage possible, the Banishment
      > List is
      > released each year on New Year's Day. This is attributed to former
      > newsman
      > Rabe's knowledge of the press. New Year's Day is traditionally a
      > slow news
      > day.
      >

      > 2006 list...
      >
      > BREAKING NEWS - Once it stopped presses. Now it's a lower-intestinal
      > condition brought about by eating dinner during newscasts. "Now they
      > have to
      > interrupt my supper to tell me that Katie Holmes is pregnant." -
      > Michael
      > Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.
      >
      > DESIGNER BREED - Many nominators consider this a bastardization of
      > dog
      > breeding. It may be a good line to use on angry neighbors when an
      > un-neutered dog escapes. "When you mate a miniature schnauzer to a
      > toy
      > poodle, it's not a 'Schnoodle,' it's a mongrel." - George
      > Bullerjahn,
      > Bowling Green, Ohio.
      >

      > SURREAL
      > HUNKER DOWN
      > PERSON OF INTEREST
      > COMMUNITY OF LEARNERS
      > UP OR DOWN VOTE
      > 97% FAT FREE
      > FEMA
      > FIRST-TIME CALLER
      > PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO YOU!
      > AN ACCIDENT THAT DIDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN
      > JUNK SCIENCE
      > GIT-ER-DONE
      > DAWG
      > TALKING POINTS
      > HOLIDAY TREE
      >
      > http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

      Unfortunately, "Git'R'Done" isn't going away fast enough for me.
      The thing I hate most about Larry the Cable Guy is that he makes
      dumb-uninterested-hick-southerness appear to possess some sort of
      mantle of coolness. This, IMO, causes unsophisticates to further
      embrace the redneck ethic of "stupidity worship as a virtue". And
      *that* is a little too close to Cut'N'Shoot, Texas for my taste.

      xponent
      Unlike Sgt. York Maru