LSSU 2006 List of Banished Words

  • Gary Nunn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      I ran across this on some obscure news page, and then after reading it, also
      saw it on ABCnews.com. You have to visit the webpage and read the short
      description to appreciate why some of these made it to the banished list.

      >From the Banished Words history page...
      In order to gain the most media coverage possible, the Banishment List is
      released each year on New Year's Day. This is attributed to former newsman
      Rabe's knowledge of the press. New Year's Day is traditionally a slow news
      day.

      2006 list...

      BREAKING NEWS - Once it stopped presses. Now it's a lower-intestinal
      condition brought about by eating dinner during newscasts. "Now they have to
      interrupt my supper to tell me that Katie Holmes is pregnant." - Michael
      Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.

      DESIGNER BREED - Many nominators consider this a bastardization of dog
      breeding. It may be a good line to use on angry neighbors when an
      un-neutered dog escapes. "When you mate a miniature schnauzer to a toy
      poodle, it's not a 'Schnoodle,' it's a mongrel." - George Bullerjahn,
      Bowling Green, Ohio.

      SURREAL
      HUNKER DOWN
      PERSON OF INTEREST
      COMMUNITY OF LEARNERS
      UP OR DOWN VOTE
      97% FAT FREE
      FEMA
      FIRST-TIME CALLER
      PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO YOU!
      AN ACCIDENT THAT DIDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN
      JUNK SCIENCE
      GIT-ER-DONE
      DAWG
      TALKING POINTS
      HOLIDAY TREE

      http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

    • Robert Seeberger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        > I ran across this on some obscure news page, and then after reading
        > it, also
        > saw it on ABCnews.com. You have to visit the webpage and read the
        > short
        > description to appreciate why some of these made it to the banished
        > list.
        >

        >>From the Banished Words history page...
        > In order to gain the most media coverage possible, the Banishment
        > List is
        > released each year on New Year's Day. This is attributed to former
        > newsman
        > Rabe's knowledge of the press. New Year's Day is traditionally a
        > slow news
        > day.
        >

        > 2006 list...
        >
        > BREAKING NEWS - Once it stopped presses. Now it's a lower-intestinal
        > condition brought about by eating dinner during newscasts. "Now they
        > have to
        > interrupt my supper to tell me that Katie Holmes is pregnant." -
        > Michael
        > Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.
        >
        > DESIGNER BREED - Many nominators consider this a bastardization of
        > dog
        > breeding. It may be a good line to use on angry neighbors when an
        > un-neutered dog escapes. "When you mate a miniature schnauzer to a
        > toy
        > poodle, it's not a 'Schnoodle,' it's a mongrel." - George
        > Bullerjahn,
        > Bowling Green, Ohio.
        >

        > SURREAL
        > HUNKER DOWN
        > PERSON OF INTEREST
        > COMMUNITY OF LEARNERS
        > UP OR DOWN VOTE
        > 97% FAT FREE
        > FEMA
        > FIRST-TIME CALLER
        > PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO YOU!
        > AN ACCIDENT THAT DIDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN
        > JUNK SCIENCE
        > GIT-ER-DONE
        > DAWG
        > TALKING POINTS
        > HOLIDAY TREE
        >
        > http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

        Unfortunately, "Git'R'Done" isn't going away fast enough for me.
        The thing I hate most about Larry the Cable Guy is that he makes
        dumb-uninterested-hick-southerness appear to possess some sort of
        mantle of coolness. This, IMO, causes unsophisticates to further
        embrace the redneck ethic of "stupidity worship as a virtue". And
        *that* is a little too close to Cut'N'Shoot, Texas for my taste.

        xponent
        Unlike Sgt. York Maru