Re: Media Myth - Guns Are Always Bad for Us

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      At 03:09 AM Sunday 1/1/2006, Doug Pensinger wrote:
      >Nick Lidster wrote:
      >
      >>Currently there are really 2 camps that are slugging it out on this issue,
      >>the liberals who want more laws and to create a new gun task force within
      >>the RCMP who are in a huge manpower shortage. Then there is the
      >>Conservatives who are taking a stance on increasing funding to the provinces
      >>and increasing the funding to the RCMP to enforce the current laws, as well
      >>as increasing sentence lengths and giving mandatory min sentences for all
      >>firearm related crimes.
      >>
      >>The main problem with the RCMP shortage is that after a decade of budget
      >>cuts the RCMP cannot cover all its duties properly so officers are tasked
      >>from major crime division to fill gaps in local districts. Right now I
      >>believe that the RCMP staffing is at 80% of needed positions and the ONE
      >>training school for them can only put through 1500 cadets a year.
      >
      >Sounds like the conservatives have the more practical solution in this case.

      I doubt it seems that way to those who believe
      that all guns are e—ee—eee—vil . . .

      --Ronn! :)

      "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
      added to our country and two words have been
      added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
      GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
      is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
      -- Red Skelton

      (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

    • Nick Lidster
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
        >Sounds like the conservatives have the more practical solution in this
        case.

        I doubt it seems that way to those who believe
        that all guns are e—ee—eee—vil . . .

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
        added to our country and two words have been
        added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
        is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

        (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

        I agree the Cons def have the more practical solution in this case and in
        most cases their platform does seem more piratical then that of the
        "fiberals" and the NDP (new democratic party).

        Here are the liberal and conservative platforms for the upcoming election:

        Liberal:

        http://www.liberal.ca/issues_e.aspx

        Our economy:

        Following a strategy of balanced tax cuts, social spending and debt
        repayment, the Liberal government has invested in our social foundations and
        moved us towards a green economy and sustainable communities while enabling
        us to overcome a challenging deficit. More..
        <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=64>

        Cities and communities:

        Canada’s cities and communities are where we truly experience what it means
        to be Canadian. Paul Martin and the Liberal government understand this and
        have committed a great deal to improving where we live and raise our
        children. We also know that cities propel economic growth, employment and
        innovation. They are at the center of our country’s success. More...
        <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=60>

        Our families:

        Giving families a helping hand, at all stages of life, is an important part
        of creating a society of which we can all be proud. Paul Martin and the
        Liberal government strive to treat every Canadian family with dignity and
        respect. From our children to our seniors, we are committed to promoting
        initiatives that reflect everyone’s needs. More...
        <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=61>

        Canada in the world:

        Whether it is through international aid, peacekeeping, trade or security,
        the Liberal government is committed to ensuring Canada's continued role of
        pride and influence in the world.
        More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=62>

        Our environment:

        Like the majority of Canadians, Prime Minister Paul Martin and the Liberal
        government believe that a smart environmental policy is vital to our
        continued success as a nation. We recognize the importance of continuing to
        make investments to protect and preserve our rich inheritance of land, water
        and wildlife.
        More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=63>

        Universal health care:

        The Liberal government is committed to upholding the Canada Health Act and
        protecting our national, universal health care system. We will ensure that
        our health care system will continue to be there when Canadians need it, no
        matter where they live, and no matter what their income.
        More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=66>

        Conservatives:

        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/

        The Choice:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/32981?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        The time for accountability has arrived.

        On January 23rd, Canadians will finally be able to hold the Liberals
        accountable. Accountable for the stolen money; accountable for the broken
        trust; accountable for all that did not get done because this government has
        been totally preoccupied with damage control; lurching from one scandal to
        another; always trying to avoid the people’s verdict.

        Stand Up for Accountability:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31885?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        Let’s clean up government

        Canadians have been let down by 12 years of Liberal scandal. We need a
        change in government to restore accountability and end the culture of
        entitlement. Canadians must be able to trust our government and know that
        our tax dollars are well spent.

        Stand Up for Opportunity:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31896?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        Let’s cut taxes

        Canadians are working longer and longer hours but finding it harder and
        harder to get ahead.

        A new government must create more opportunity for individuals, families, and
        small businesses to get ahead. Under the Liberals, high taxes and red tape
        have held back growth and prosperity. A new government must reduce taxes on
        middle-class families starting with the GST, lower taxes on small business,
        and help our farmers and resource industries to compete in the world.

        Stand Up for Security:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31900?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        Let’s crack down on crime

        Under the Liberals, gun, drug, and gang crime has increased and border,
        port, and airport security has been soft. A new government must toughen
        criminal justice, impose mandatory minimum sentences for serious crimes, and
        strengthen our border security.

        Stand Up for Our Communities:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31912?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        Let’s build better roads and transit and keep our environment clean

        The strength of Canada is our people and our communities. Sadly, the
        Liberals have ignored the role of government in building strong communities.
        A new government must invest more money in better roads and infrastructure,
        a strong immigration system that meets our economic needs and helps
        families, and a clean and healthy environment.

        Stand Up for Canada:
        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31916?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
        5886639

        Let’s keep Canada strong and united

        Canada needs a government that will stand up for our values of freedom,
        fairness, and compassion. That means a democratic government at home that
        respects all of our provinces, and defending our national interests and
        values abroad through a stronger military and a tougher stand on
        international trade disputes.

        Ok well after going through both platforms again I have noticed that for as
        much talk that they have done on the military its not a key issue for
        conservatives. So ill do a little section on military issues.

        A little background first. With last years budget the Canadian military
        spending would approach 20 billion roughly 1.6% GDP. Amounts that have been
        suggested by senate committees and outside think tanks both look to an
        increase to a min of 1.8% -2.0% GDP. Current levels of spending are approx
        10-11 billion (9.82 billion budgeted several hundred million per branch
        overage spending). The Cons had also announced that they would fund the
        Forces to increase over the current increase of 8000 by another 5-75,000
        person over then next 10years. For a nation of 33 mil a army reg-force of
        33k is not very big at all, and this expansion would bring us back up to our
        post cold war strength during the early 90's.

        Conservative:

        http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2023/37406?PHPSESSID=40fbb0a1db1571b4d014f7f77
        ce94980