Re: Media Myth - Guns Are Always Bad for Us

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      Nick Lidster wrote:

      > Currently there are really 2 camps that are slugging it out on this
      > issue,
      > the liberals who want more laws and to create a new gun task force within
      > the RCMP who are in a huge manpower shortage. Then there is the
      > Conservatives who are taking a stance on increasing funding to the
      > provinces
      > and increasing the funding to the RCMP to enforce the current laws, as
      > well
      > as increasing sentence lengths and giving mandatory min sentences for all
      > firearm related crimes.
      >
      > The main problem with the RCMP shortage is that after a decade of budget
      > cuts the RCMP cannot cover all its duties properly so officers are tasked
      > from major crime division to fill gaps in local districts. Right now I
      > believe that the RCMP staffing is at 80% of needed positions and the ONE
      > training school for them can only put through 1500 cadets a year.

      Sounds like the conservatives have the more practical solution in this
      case.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
        At 03:09 AM Sunday 1/1/2006, Doug Pensinger wrote:
        >Nick Lidster wrote:
        >
        >>Currently there are really 2 camps that are slugging it out on this issue,
        >>the liberals who want more laws and to create a new gun task force within
        >>the RCMP who are in a huge manpower shortage. Then there is the
        >>Conservatives who are taking a stance on increasing funding to the provinces
        >>and increasing the funding to the RCMP to enforce the current laws, as well
        >>as increasing sentence lengths and giving mandatory min sentences for all
        >>firearm related crimes.
        >>
        >>The main problem with the RCMP shortage is that after a decade of budget
        >>cuts the RCMP cannot cover all its duties properly so officers are tasked
        >>from major crime division to fill gaps in local districts. Right now I
        >>believe that the RCMP staffing is at 80% of needed positions and the ONE
        >>training school for them can only put through 1500 cadets a year.
        >
        >Sounds like the conservatives have the more practical solution in this case.

        I doubt it seems that way to those who believe
        that all guns are e—ee—eee—vil . . .

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
        added to our country and two words have been
        added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
        is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

        (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

      • Nick Lidster
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
          >Sounds like the conservatives have the more practical solution in this
          case.

          I doubt it seems that way to those who believe
          that all guns are e—ee—eee—vil . . .

          --Ronn! :)

          "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
          added to our country and two words have been
          added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
          GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
          is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
          -- Red Skelton

          (Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)

          I agree the Cons def have the more practical solution in this case and in
          most cases their platform does seem more piratical then that of the
          "fiberals" and the NDP (new democratic party).

          Here are the liberal and conservative platforms for the upcoming election:

          Liberal:

          http://www.liberal.ca/issues_e.aspx

          Our economy:

          Following a strategy of balanced tax cuts, social spending and debt
          repayment, the Liberal government has invested in our social foundations and
          moved us towards a green economy and sustainable communities while enabling
          us to overcome a challenging deficit. More..
          <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=64>

          Cities and communities:

          Canada’s cities and communities are where we truly experience what it means
          to be Canadian. Paul Martin and the Liberal government understand this and
          have committed a great deal to improving where we live and raise our
          children. We also know that cities propel economic growth, employment and
          innovation. They are at the center of our country’s success. More...
          <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=60>

          Our families:

          Giving families a helping hand, at all stages of life, is an important part
          of creating a society of which we can all be proud. Paul Martin and the
          Liberal government strive to treat every Canadian family with dignity and
          respect. From our children to our seniors, we are committed to promoting
          initiatives that reflect everyone’s needs. More...
          <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=61>

          Canada in the world:

          Whether it is through international aid, peacekeeping, trade or security,
          the Liberal government is committed to ensuring Canada's continued role of
          pride and influence in the world.
          More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=62>

          Our environment:

          Like the majority of Canadians, Prime Minister Paul Martin and the Liberal
          government believe that a smart environmental policy is vital to our
          continued success as a nation. We recognize the importance of continuing to
          make investments to protect and preserve our rich inheritance of land, water
          and wildlife.
          More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=63>

          Universal health care:

          The Liberal government is committed to upholding the Canada Health Act and
          protecting our national, universal health care system. We will ensure that
          our health care system will continue to be there when Canadians need it, no
          matter where they live, and no matter what their income.
          More... <http://www.liberal.ca/issue_e.aspx?itype=66>

          Conservatives:

          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/

          The Choice:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/32981?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          The time for accountability has arrived.

          On January 23rd, Canadians will finally be able to hold the Liberals
          accountable. Accountable for the stolen money; accountable for the broken
          trust; accountable for all that did not get done because this government has
          been totally preoccupied with damage control; lurching from one scandal to
          another; always trying to avoid the people’s verdict.

          Stand Up for Accountability:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31885?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          Let’s clean up government

          Canadians have been let down by 12 years of Liberal scandal. We need a
          change in government to restore accountability and end the culture of
          entitlement. Canadians must be able to trust our government and know that
          our tax dollars are well spent.

          Stand Up for Opportunity:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31896?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          Let’s cut taxes

          Canadians are working longer and longer hours but finding it harder and
          harder to get ahead.

          A new government must create more opportunity for individuals, families, and
          small businesses to get ahead. Under the Liberals, high taxes and red tape
          have held back growth and prosperity. A new government must reduce taxes on
          middle-class families starting with the GST, lower taxes on small business,
          and help our farmers and resource industries to compete in the world.

          Stand Up for Security:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31900?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          Let’s crack down on crime

          Under the Liberals, gun, drug, and gang crime has increased and border,
          port, and airport security has been soft. A new government must toughen
          criminal justice, impose mandatory minimum sentences for serious crimes, and
          strengthen our border security.

          Stand Up for Our Communities:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31912?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          Let’s build better roads and transit and keep our environment clean

          The strength of Canada is our people and our communities. Sadly, the
          Liberals have ignored the role of government in building strong communities.
          A new government must invest more money in better roads and infrastructure,
          a strong immigration system that meets our economic needs and helps
          families, and a clean and healthy environment.

          Stand Up for Canada:
          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2326/31916?PHPSESSID=29e57798aab7c8f14b477e43a
          5886639

          Let’s keep Canada strong and united

          Canada needs a government that will stand up for our values of freedom,
          fairness, and compassion. That means a democratic government at home that
          respects all of our provinces, and defending our national interests and
          values abroad through a stronger military and a tougher stand on
          international trade disputes.

          Ok well after going through both platforms again I have noticed that for as
          much talk that they have done on the military its not a key issue for
          conservatives. So ill do a little section on military issues.

          A little background first. With last years budget the Canadian military
          spending would approach 20 billion roughly 1.6% GDP. Amounts that have been
          suggested by senate committees and outside think tanks both look to an
          increase to a min of 1.8% -2.0% GDP. Current levels of spending are approx
          10-11 billion (9.82 billion budgeted several hundred million per branch
          overage spending). The Cons had also announced that they would fund the
          Forces to increase over the current increase of 8000 by another 5-75,000
          person over then next 10years. For a nation of 33 mil a army reg-force of
          33k is not very big at all, and this expansion would bring us back up to our
          post cold war strength during the early 90's.

          Conservative:

          http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2023/37406?PHPSESSID=40fbb0a1db1571b4d014f7f77
          ce94980