Re: Brin: left-right inanities

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 3, 2005
      Julia Thompson wrote:
      > Thanks! I didn't see any sort of link to it from the main page,
      > that's why I missed it.
      >
      > I'm all set up with it now. :)

      Same here and thanks!

      xponent
      Tempus Edax Rerum Maru

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
        Robert wrote:

        > Seconded!
        > I follow blogs almost exclusively via RSS/XML/ATOM.
        >
        > Doc, if you have not tried an RSS reader, you owe yourself the
        > pleasure of the experience. RSS readers aggregate all your news into
        > one handy dandy program that updates your news/blogs automatically.
        >
        > Info: http://tinyurl.com/9fxfe

        Did you mean to send a Google search? Can you (or anyone else) suggest a
        particular site?

      • Robert Seeberger
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
          Doug Pensinger wrote:
          > Robert wrote:
          >
          >> Seconded!
          >> I follow blogs almost exclusively via RSS/XML/ATOM.
          >>
          >> Doc, if you have not tried an RSS reader, you owe yourself the
          >> pleasure of the experience. RSS readers aggregate all your news
          >> into
          >> one handy dandy program that updates your news/blogs automatically.
          >>
          >> Info: http://tinyurl.com/9fxfe
          >
          > Did you mean to send a Google search?

          Yes.....I knew Doc is a MacDude so I figured he could decide what was
          good for himself. I know jack bout Mac.<G>

          >Can you (or anyone else)
          > suggest a particular site?

          I use RSSReader 1.0.88.0 and am quite happy with it.
          http://www.rssreader.com/

          But there are plenty of alternatives. (I'm thinking of getting a
          second reader and using one for blogs and the other for news)
          Some people use a Yahoo syndication page (I dislike this myself)
          http://my.yahoo.com/

          Otherwise just look through the links on the search page I sent and
          find something you like.

          What I do is use the RSS reader as a base and if it shows me something
          interesting I get it to take me to the webpage,but if it only
          generates idle curiousity I view it in the reader itself. RSS readers
          add some flexibility to ones infosurfing habits

          xponent
          Surfing Toward The Ur-Singularity Maru

        • Richard Baker
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
            Rob said:

            > Yes.....I knew Doc is a MacDude so I figured he could decide what was
            > good for himself. I know jack bout Mac.<G>

            I would highly recommend NetNewsWire for OS X:

            http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

            Rich

          • David Brin
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
              >RSS readers aggregate
              > all your news into
              > > one handy dandy program that updates your
              > news/blogs automatically.

              There is a page in EARTH (written in 1988) that
              predicts this), the book's 18th "hit"

              ANy of you interested in nature or teachig? drop by: http://www.cabscience.com/index.html
            • Max Battcher
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
                Doug Pensinger wrote:
                > Did you mean to send a Google search? Can you (or anyone else) suggest
                > a particular site?

                There are as many ways to read RSS as there are people. My email client
                (Thunderbird) supports it out of the box and makes RSS reading like
                email reading, that's my preferred way. Other people like the way their
                browser (Firefox) handles RSS ("live bookmarks").

                On the opposite end of things is something like Bloglines or
                Reader.Google.com.

                There are a veritable ton of RSS readers out there.

                --
                --Max Battcher--
                http://www.worldmaker.net/