Irregulars query: world map units sized by GDP

  • Robert J. Chassell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Please, can anyone tell me where to find online maps that display the
      world distorted so that countries, or better, provinces or counties,
      are shown according to the size of their economies (GDP or purchasing
      power parity or, better, in different maps, both - the one being a
      proxy for national influence and the the other being a proxy for
      standards of living, possibly leaving out negatives such as pollution)

      I saw such a map in 1976 but not since. I just looked using Google
      and Brainboost and failed.

      The technology is the same as that used to show the Red and Blue (or
      purple) voting behavior in the US after the 2004 presidential
      election: mapping displays are distorted from their geographic layout
      to a recognizable shape that is based on votes in the case of the US
      in 2004 and on economic production in the cases I would like to see.
      (In November 2004, I tried one to make a world economic map using one
      of the software packages for US voting, but failed.)

      Thank you!

      --
      Robert J. Chassell
      bob@... GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8