RE: Scouted: Turner Classic Movies to air 9 Anime Films

  • Jim Sharkey
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
      The Fool wrote:
      >Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
      >movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.

      I've seen four of the six Miyzaki movies listed (Spirited Away,
      Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Totoro, and I've heard good things about Porco Rosso and Nausicaa as well) and they're all excellent.
      Even if you are not an anime fan, you should check them out; if
      you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must (Roger Ebert
      puts it on his list of "Great Movies"). The other three you should
      use your judgement as to what age is appropriate; I'd personally
      suggest a PG-13 approach for Mononoke and a PG for Castle and Spirited
      Away.

      Spirited Away is my favorite of the lot. It's amazing; it's
      a beautiful thing to watch. Miyazaki's imagination is something to
      behold. Every panel is an aesthetic marvel. I don't mind admitting
      I'm a bit of a fanboy of his, even though I'm not a big anime fan in
      general.

      I'm sure that Dr. Brin might accuse Miyazaki of being too green, much as he does Tolkein. He wears his fondness for a simpler time on his
      sleeve. Maybe given Japan's crowded cities it's hard to blame him.
      However, Mononoke Hime suggests he's realized that industrialism and
      environmentalism can live together, if not harmoniously, at least
      without trying to destroy each other.

      I've possibly gushed too much and turned a few of you off, but I hope
      not. If you haven't seen any of Miyazaki's work before, this sounds
      like a perfect chance to do so. Check out his movies, then you can
      tell me if I'm full of it or not. :)

      I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't seen.
      If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I am a little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not from
      Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
      Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.

      Jim

    • The Fool
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
        > From: Dave Land <dland@...>
        >
        > On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Jim Sharkey wrote:
        > >
        > > The Fool wrote:
        > >
        > >> Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
        > >> movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
        > >

        > We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.

        Howls moving Castle? or That other Castle movie?

        > He didn't seem to bothered by the fact that I had to return it
        > without his having watched it to the end.
        >
        > While we're on the topic of anime, who has seen Steamboy, and what
        > did you think? It is a visual masterpiece, but the story is just
        > so-so.

        Sunrise is by-far the best Anime studio. (Their work is ussually way
        better than other studio bar-none). So-so, yes. Steamboy is by the
        same guy who did Akira.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
          On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Jim Sharkey wrote:

          > The Fool wrote:
          >
          >> Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
          >> movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
          >
          > I've seen four of the six Miyzaki movies listed (Spirited Away,
          > Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Totoro, and I've heard good things
          > about Porco Rosso and Nausicaa as well) and they're all excellent.
          > Even if you are not an anime fan, you should check them out; if
          > you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must (Roger Ebert
          > puts it on his list of "Great Movies"). The other three you should
          > use your judgement as to what age is appropriate; I'd personally
          > suggest a PG-13 approach for Mononoke and a PG for Castle and Spirited
          > Away.

          I'd like to second the recommendation of Spirited Away. Ryan (now
          age 8) loved it a year or two ago. It is beautiful and spooky and
          imaginative, and it provided our family with another strange
          character to use when the mood strikes us: no-face. (Are we the
          only ones who thought that no-face seems very much like a take-off
          on Michael Jackson?)

          We rented Porco Rosso this weekend: fine adventure. Not too
          intense, but it is about seaplane pirates, so there's some shooting
          and cartoonish violence. The end is a little disappointing.

          We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.
          He didn't seem to bothered by the fact that I had to return it
          without his having watched it to the end.

          While we're on the topic of anime, who has seen Steamboy, and what
          did you think? It is a visual masterpiece, but the story is just
          so-so.

          Finally, we're huge fans of "The Cat Returns", by Hiroyuki Morita.
          With the exception of the insane wall-eyed king cat, the characters
          are winning, the scenery is outstanding and the story is fetching.
          The "return" of the title seems to refer back to another film,
          "Whisper of the Heart", featuring some of the same cat
          characters. It's not available through Netflix, but I'm keeping
          my eyes open for it.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
            On Nov 1, 2005, at 9:19 AM, The Fool wrote:

            >> From: Dave Land <dland@...>
            >>
            >> We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.
            >
            > Howls moving Castle? or That other Castle movie?

            Castle in the Sky, one of the ones that TCM will be showing.

          • The Fool
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
              > From: Robert Seeberger <rceeberger@...>
              >
              > From: "The Fool"
              >
              > >> From: Jim Sharkey <templar569@...>

              > >> I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't
              > >> seen.
              > >
              > >> If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I
              am
              > > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
              > > from
              > >> Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
              > >> Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.
              > >
              > > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
              > > ghibli
              > > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.
              > >

              > Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
              > week.

              The international channel isn't a basic cable channel that is in 70m
              homes. Alos IIRC TCM shows films without commercials.

            • Robert Seeberger
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                >> >Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
                >> >movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
                >>
                >> I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't
                >> seen.
                >
                >> If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I am
                > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
                > from
                >> Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
                >> Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.
                >
                > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
                > ghibli
                > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.

                Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
                week.

                xponent
                AVN Maru

              • Robert Seeberger
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005

                  > am
                  >> > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
                  >> > from
                  >> >
                  >> > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
                  >> > ghibli
                  >> > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.
                  >> >

                  >> Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
                  >> week.
                  >
                  > The international channel isn't a basic cable channel that

                  It is here. Wer are quite multicultural and it is kinda required.

                  >is in 70m
                  > homes. Alos IIRC TCM shows films without commercials.

                  So?......Your point is????

                  xponent
                  Unnecessary Maru