Scouted: Turner Classic Movies to air 9 Anime Films

  • The Fool
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
      <<http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7677>>

      Turner Classic Movies has posted their January schedule.

      Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
      movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm. The movies will repeat a
      second time at the end of the second (or 3rd) movie.

      Turner Classic Movies lists the English cast for each movie except for
      Only Yesterday, for which it has the Japanese cast listed.

      Thursday, January 5
      8:00 PM Spirited Away
      10:15 PM Princess Mononoke
      1:00 AM Spirited Away
      3:15 AM Princess Mononoke

      Thursday, January 12
      8:00 PM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
      10:00 PM Castle in the Sky
      12:15 AM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
      2:15 AM Castle in the Sky

      Thursday, January 19
      8:00 PM My Neighbor Totoro
      9:30 PM Porco Rosso
      11:15 PM Whisper of the Heart
      1:15 AM My Neighbor Totoro
      2:45 AM Porco Rosso
      4:30 AM Whisper of the Heart

      Thursday, January 26
      8:00 PM Only Yesterday
      10:15 PM Pom Poko
      12:30 AM Only Yesterday
      2:45 AM Pom Poko

    • The Fool
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
        > From: Jim Sharkey <templar569@...>
        >
        > The Fool wrote:
        > >Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
        > >movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
        >
        > I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't seen.

        > If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I am a
        little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not from
        > Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
        > Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.

        My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before ghibli
        signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.

      • Jim Sharkey
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
          The Fool wrote:
          >Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
          >movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.

          I've seen four of the six Miyzaki movies listed (Spirited Away,
          Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Totoro, and I've heard good things about Porco Rosso and Nausicaa as well) and they're all excellent.
          Even if you are not an anime fan, you should check them out; if
          you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must (Roger Ebert
          puts it on his list of "Great Movies"). The other three you should
          use your judgement as to what age is appropriate; I'd personally
          suggest a PG-13 approach for Mononoke and a PG for Castle and Spirited
          Away.

          Spirited Away is my favorite of the lot. It's amazing; it's
          a beautiful thing to watch. Miyazaki's imagination is something to
          behold. Every panel is an aesthetic marvel. I don't mind admitting
          I'm a bit of a fanboy of his, even though I'm not a big anime fan in
          general.

          I'm sure that Dr. Brin might accuse Miyazaki of being too green, much as he does Tolkein. He wears his fondness for a simpler time on his
          sleeve. Maybe given Japan's crowded cities it's hard to blame him.
          However, Mononoke Hime suggests he's realized that industrialism and
          environmentalism can live together, if not harmoniously, at least
          without trying to destroy each other.

          I've possibly gushed too much and turned a few of you off, but I hope
          not. If you haven't seen any of Miyazaki's work before, this sounds
          like a perfect chance to do so. Check out his movies, then you can
          tell me if I'm full of it or not. :)

          I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't seen.
          If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I am a little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not from
          Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
          Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
            Jim Sharkey wrote:
            > The Fool wrote:
            >
            >>Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
            >>movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
            >

            > I've seen four of the six Miyzaki movies listed (Spirited Away,
            > Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Totoro, and I've heard good things about Porco Rosso and Nausicaa as well) and they're all excellent.
            > Even if you are not an anime fan, you should check them out; if
            > you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must (Roger Ebert
            > puts it on his list of "Great Movies"). The other three you should
            > use your judgement as to what age is appropriate; I'd personally
            > suggest a PG-13 approach for Mononoke and a PG for Castle and Spirited
            > Away.

            What is appropriate for having on in the same room with a 2-year-old?
            (Kiki's Delivery Service is fine for that, IMO - is Totoro, or not?)

          • Jim Sharkey
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
              Julia Thompson wrote:
              >Jim Sharkey wrote:
              >>The Fool wrote:
              >>>Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2
              >>>Ghibli movies
              >>if you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must
              >What is appropriate for having on in the same room with a 2-year-old?

              Totoro would be absolutely acceptable; it's a really good,
              wholesome movie where parents actually believe their kids and play
              along, rather than tell them to stop making up stories (very unlike
              what would happen in an American movie). The only part that may
              surprise you is that the father bathes with his daughters in one
              scene, which I figure is just a cultural thing but was quite off-
              putting the first time I saw it.

              FWIW, my kids all love Totoro. The only downside is that when the
              opening credits march-style music beings, I am required to march
              about the living room with them singing along. I think my wife taped
              it once. Very scary. :)

              The others? They're probably too intense, though Castle in the Sky
              is borderline. I wouldn't recommend it for children under four,
              personally. Spirited Away I'd recommend for 6 and up (depending on
              their scaredy-cat level), while Mononoke I'd save for 8-10, though
              each kid is different. For example, I think my son (age 7) would
              think Mononoke was "cool," while his big sister (age 9) would likely
              be scared and not enjoy it.

              Jim
              My Neighbor Maru-toro

            • The Fool
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                > From: Dave Land <dland@...>
                >
                > On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Jim Sharkey wrote:
                > >
                > > The Fool wrote:
                > >
                > >> Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
                > >> movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
                > >

                > We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.

                Howls moving Castle? or That other Castle movie?

                > He didn't seem to bothered by the fact that I had to return it
                > without his having watched it to the end.
                >
                > While we're on the topic of anime, who has seen Steamboy, and what
                > did you think? It is a visual masterpiece, but the story is just
                > so-so.

                Sunrise is by-far the best Anime studio. (Their work is ussually way
                better than other studio bar-none). So-so, yes. Steamboy is by the
                same guy who did Akira.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                  On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Jim Sharkey wrote:

                  > The Fool wrote:
                  >
                  >> Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
                  >> movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
                  >
                  > I've seen four of the six Miyzaki movies listed (Spirited Away,
                  > Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Totoro, and I've heard good things
                  > about Porco Rosso and Nausicaa as well) and they're all excellent.
                  > Even if you are not an anime fan, you should check them out; if
                  > you have young children, My Neighbor Totoro is a must (Roger Ebert
                  > puts it on his list of "Great Movies"). The other three you should
                  > use your judgement as to what age is appropriate; I'd personally
                  > suggest a PG-13 approach for Mononoke and a PG for Castle and Spirited
                  > Away.

                  I'd like to second the recommendation of Spirited Away. Ryan (now
                  age 8) loved it a year or two ago. It is beautiful and spooky and
                  imaginative, and it provided our family with another strange
                  character to use when the mood strikes us: no-face. (Are we the
                  only ones who thought that no-face seems very much like a take-off
                  on Michael Jackson?)

                  We rented Porco Rosso this weekend: fine adventure. Not too
                  intense, but it is about seaplane pirates, so there's some shooting
                  and cartoonish violence. The end is a little disappointing.

                  We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.
                  He didn't seem to bothered by the fact that I had to return it
                  without his having watched it to the end.

                  While we're on the topic of anime, who has seen Steamboy, and what
                  did you think? It is a visual masterpiece, but the story is just
                  so-so.

                  Finally, we're huge fans of "The Cat Returns", by Hiroyuki Morita.
                  With the exception of the insane wall-eyed king cat, the characters
                  are winning, the scenery is outstanding and the story is fetching.
                  The "return" of the title seems to refer back to another film,
                  "Whisper of the Heart", featuring some of the same cat
                  characters. It's not available through Netflix, but I'm keeping
                  my eyes open for it.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                    On Nov 1, 2005, at 9:19 AM, The Fool wrote:

                    >> From: Dave Land <dland@...>
                    >>
                    >> We also rented Castle, but Ryan lost interest about 3/4 through.
                    >
                    > Howls moving Castle? or That other Castle movie?

                    Castle in the Sky, one of the ones that TCM will be showing.

                  • The Fool
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                      > From: Robert Seeberger <rceeberger@...>
                      >
                      > From: "The Fool"
                      >
                      > >> From: Jim Sharkey <templar569@...>

                      > >> I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't
                      > >> seen.
                      > >
                      > >> If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I
                      am
                      > > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
                      > > from
                      > >> Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
                      > >> Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.
                      > >
                      > > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
                      > > ghibli
                      > > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.
                      > >

                      > Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
                      > week.

                      The international channel isn't a basic cable channel that is in 70m
                      homes. Alos IIRC TCM shows films without commercials.

                    • Robert Seeberger
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                        >> >Every Thursday in January Turner Classic Movies will air 2 Ghibli
                        >> >movies (3 on January 19th) starting at 8pm.
                        >>
                        >> I will likely check out the other movies on the list I haven't
                        >> seen.
                        >
                        >> If they meet Ghibli's standards, chances are they'll be good. I am
                        > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
                        > from
                        >> Miyazaki, but from Ghibli, and another one of Ebert's "Great
                        >> Movies". Maybe they decided that one's a little too depressing.
                        >
                        > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
                        > ghibli
                        > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.

                        Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
                        week.

                        xponent
                        AVN Maru

                      • Robert Seeberger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005

                          > am
                          >> > little surprised they didn't include Grave of the Fireflies (Not
                          >> > from
                          >> >
                          >> > My understanding is Central Park Media (CPM) licensed it before
                          >> > ghibli
                          >> > signed up exclusively with disney. The others are all disneys.
                          >> >

                          >> Grave Of The Fireflies was just on the International Channel last
                          >> week.
                          >
                          > The international channel isn't a basic cable channel that

                          It is here. Wer are quite multicultural and it is kinda required.

                          >is in 70m
                          > homes. Alos IIRC TCM shows films without commercials.

                          So?......Your point is????

                          xponent
                          Unnecessary Maru